1000+ ping spikes for hours at a time.

Eleint

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Today I was playing an online game (League of Legends), and during the game my ping times ramped up gradually from 500 to over 2000.
http://clip2net.com/s/il1y0a

This has happened a number of times in the past, and it seems to persist for a couple hours at a time, and then go away. I haven't been able to identify the exact cause.

I have eliminated:
wireless connection (plugged into the router directly)
game server problems (the latency also affects pings to google.com).

It is a shared connection, but the house is split into two apartments, so it's hard for me to monitor all users of the network. I configured the router to track traffic statistics, and I record my own bandwidth usage (with a program called Netlimiter), so I can get a rough idea what's happening.

My question is this:
http://clip2net.com/s/il19Iu
Does this tracert output indicate that the problem is more likely with the local in-house internet sharing, or is the service provider getting congestion in my area? And if you can give me a bit of explanation, so that I have ammunition in a discussion with my ISP, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
The 10.50.0.1 either implies your ISP uses CG-NAT as Someone Somewhere explained or there is a slight possibility that a rogue DHCP server is running on your ISP's network. I've run into this situation with Time-Warner years ago. I had to show them a weeks worth of router logs and talk to a bunch of different people at Time-Warner before they believed me and checked into it. They eventually found the rogue DHCP server and knocked it offline. It was causing problems on my network.

A call to your ISP should determine that quickly.
The 10.50.0.1 either implies your ISP uses CG-NAT as Someone Somewhere explained or there is a slight possibility that a rogue DHCP server is running on your ISP's network. I've run into this situation with Time-Warner years ago. I had to show them a weeks worth of router logs and talk to a bunch of different people at Time-Warner before they believed me and checked into it. They eventually found the rogue DHCP server and knocked it offline. It was causing problems on my network.

A call to your ISP should determine that quickly.

Solution