Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Resolution explanation? Relationship between 1080p and 1920 x 1080

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 18, 2014 2:17:30 PM

So basically I'm caught wondering how is 1080p related 1920 x 1080 what is 1440 x 900? How is it calculated and since I've heard both called resolution can someone clear that up for me? I realize that this question may sound very unintelligent however I just need someone to shed some light on this topic. Thanks
a b C Monitor
June 18, 2014 2:20:40 PM

1920x1080 is the pixel count. The screen is that size, pixel by pixel. Width by height.
So 1920x1080 is called 1080p for short.

2560x1440 is known as 1440p etc.

As for 1440x900 its an odd sized resolution, outside of 16:9. So I have a 1600x900 secondary monitor, that can be considered 900p. But most just refer to the screen size.
m
1
l
June 18, 2014 2:26:36 PM

Gam3r01 said:
1920x1080 is the pixel count. The screen is that size, pixel by pixel. Width by height.
So 1920x1080 is called 1080p for short.

2560x1440 is known as 1440p etc.

As for 1440x900 its an odd sized resolution, outside of 16:9. So I have a 1600x900 secondary monitor, that can be considered 900p. But most just refer to the screen size.


So, basically the resolution is determined by the pixel height count? Strange system, very strange

m
0
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
June 18, 2014 2:28:13 PM

In most standard resolutions yes it is. So 1080p 720p 480p are measures by height. There are several odd sized resolutions, monitors that are extended wide screen etc.
m
0
l
June 18, 2014 2:33:10 PM

Gam3r01 said:
In most standard resolutions yes it is. So 1080p 720p 480p are measures by height. There are several odd sized resolutions, monitors that are extended wide screen etc.


Now I'm wondering who created this system, and what would be 1440 x 900?

m
0
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
June 18, 2014 2:35:11 PM

Its a 16:10 resolution, so when referring to it just say 1440x900. Everyone will know what it means, and its simple. If you were to say 900p (which is technically is) people could confuse it with 1600x900 etc.
Share
June 18, 2014 3:11:04 PM

Gam3r01 said:
Its a 16:10 resolution, so when referring to it just say 1440x900. Everyone will know what it means, and its simple. If you were to say 900p (which is technically is) people could confuse it with 1600x900 etc.

Thanks, very helpful
m
0
l
!