Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Best gaming upgrades for Dell Optiplex 740 MiniTower for $300-$400 Changing GPU, PSU, RAM CPU and Mobo

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 18, 2014 2:44:50 PM

I currently own a Dell Optiplex 740 with Athlon 3800+, 6150LE integrated card, 4GB RAM. With the amount of PC gaming I do, it's not worth getting a whole new system. Therefore, I want to upgrade my current system with the maximum upgrades possible. new motherboard, new CPU, new GPU, price isn't a huge issue so any ideas would be great. Thanks =)
***EDIT*** for clarity

I am looking at upgrading this PC because I use it a lot for general use, but it is very weak. I have a 1TB drive, so that shouldn't be an issue. I don't want to build a new one because I already have enough old PCs around the house, and this was a gift, so even if it seems dumb, I'd like to use this one.

Budget Range: $300 to $450 (I am in UK so £200-£300)

System Usage: Mild gaming (TTT to Payday the Heist) and videos

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade (READ): Was looking at upgrading mobo to Enhanced version (YP696), and taking CPU to Phenom x4 9850. Also looking at changing PSU to be bigger but don't know compatibility. Also would like 8GB RAM. Any money left over would be used for a GPU. Is it worth using this Mobo/CPU combo or would it be a waste of money?

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, Ebay, anywhere

Location: Cumbria, UK

Parts Preferences: Like I said, I am loking at AMD but if money would be better spent elsewhere, then throw it at me.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 and 1920x1080
June 18, 2014 3:03:13 PM

Your talking about upgrading the most expensive components in your PC.

Thought thats an older PC.

Sounds like you want to keep the case & replace the PC inside.

The question then is what size is your case? I think the optiplex 740 had 4 case styles.

m
0
l
June 18, 2014 3:32:13 PM

itsVance said:
Your talking about upgrading the most expensive components in your PC.

Thought thats an older PC.

Sounds like you want to keep the case & replace the PC inside.

The question then is what size is your case? I think the optiplex 740 had 4 case styles.



I said in the title that it's the minitower =)

m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 18, 2014 4:19:58 PM

kickergold said:
itsVance said:
Your talking about upgrading the most expensive components in your PC.

Thought thats an older PC.

Sounds like you want to keep the case & replace the PC inside.

The question then is what size is your case? I think the optiplex 740 had 4 case styles.



I said in the title that it's the minitower =)



Duh! "dum dum forehead stamp"

Ok so MicroATX Minitower then ?

You might have to use an oversized ATX PSU if you want to upgrade to anything substantial. To meet your budget we may have to take you back a few generations of tech.

These are just some ideas to go on. You might not be able to get the exact parts where you live.

Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Graphics
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
that would put you around $500 but then you could sell your old stuff.

Heist recommended GPU is HD 4850 so another thought is get something used for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-ATI-Radeon-HD-4850-1GB-GDDR...

Now if the Dell case is proprietary, you might have to worry about the motherboard backplate fitting. If thats the case, you might need a $50 pc case.
Share
June 18, 2014 4:23:17 PM

i'll try to help save your money and a lot of grief... you need to look at the threads here at tome on what you want to do real good ....

some models of store bought computers [dell.hp,acer,ect..] may come with a ''locked'' bios and may not allow you to change certain hardware as a video card.. this is done to protect them from undue warranty claims and refunds .this is not done to hurt you but to protect them. you really need to see if that upgrade has been proven to work in your model first before you invest money in it .. there are a lot of these threads here at toms to look at some models will allow upgrades and some dont.. and a lot of guys here say ya ya ya when is really no no no...it would be sad you spent $200 on a card that wount post after you installed it as most find out. then get told its your psu and you spend more and end up right back where you are now, but its up to you good luck..


you got to know the the boards in these computers are not like the ones we use to do custom builds witch are open to upgrading with in the boards compatibly . the bios is custom made for there design and just for the parts they authorize to be used on there computers
m
1
l
June 18, 2014 4:28:30 PM

junkeymonkey said:
i'll try to help save your money and a lot of grief... you need to look at the threads here at tome on what you want to do real good ....

some models of store bought computers [dell.hp,acer,ect..] may come with a ''locked'' bios and may not allow you to change certain hardware as a video card.. this is done to protect them from undue warranty claims and refunds .this is not done to hurt you but to protect them. you really need to see if that upgrade has been proven to work in your model first before you invest money in it .. there are a lot of these threads here at toms to look at some models will allow upgrades and some dont.. and a lot of guys here say ya ya ya when is really no no no...it would be sad you spent $200 on a card that wount post after you installed it as most find out. then get told its your psu and you spend more and end up right back where you are now, but its up to you good luck..


you got to know the the boards in these computers are not like the ones we use to do custom builds witch are open to upgrading with in the boards compatibly . the bios is custom made for there design and just for the parts they authorize to be used on there computers


But if he changes the motherboard and gpu hes replacing the bios with a custom one. right?

Def could have a prob if he goes and buys another proprietary board tho.
m
1
l
June 18, 2014 6:36:27 PM

ya, I your replacing the board its good [ did not want him to change his mind on that part] . that's what most end up doing . them prebuilt companys don't make money having you upgrade they feel you use there computer until its a goner or out dated and then you buy there new up to date one. lost of folks spend good money on nice parts just to find its not going to work on there prebuilt boards them cats like dell hp and so on got it all figured out ..
m
1
l
!