New R9 290 graphics card not recognized

G

So my mate is over PC gaming and has switched back to console (PS4) because of all the problems that always occurs and I don't blame him.
He sold me his Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4 gb windforce for $200, which he just bought few weeks ago. I go to install it to my computer and of course what happens?? It is not even being recognized by my mother board. I have literally tried just about everything to get it to recognize and nothing I do fixes it. It is frustrating me to the absolute max because I had a feeling it wasn't gonna be as easy as PLUG AND PLAY!! I JUST KNEW IT!! I HAVE RESETED THE CMOS, TOOK BATTERY OUT, CHANGED PCI SLOTS, CHECKED THAT PCI- EXPRESS IS FIRST PRIORITY, CHECKED THAT IT IS IN CORRECTLY AND CHECKED TWO SIX PIN POWER CABLES ARE CONNECTED TOO. I know it was working before when my mate had it and he wouldn't sell me something faulty. Before I went to install the R9 290 I had a H.I.S 7950 and was working brilliantly.
I hope someone can help me out and would really appreciate it!!

My PC specs:

OS = Windows 7 home premium 64 bit on ssd

Mobo = Asrock Z77 Extreme 4

Cpu = core I7 - 3770

Ram = 2 x 4 gb G. Skill ram (can't remember what type)

Psu = Thermaltake Smart power bronze 650 wat

inaudible101

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Is it not recognized by your motherboard or by windows? If it will post with display out from the card hopefully it's just a driver issue. If it will not post and display anything the card is damaged. I had to RMA my 290x because it shorted out internally and my computer would not even turn on when one of the power cords connected to the card.

TRENDING THREADS