Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is the i7 990X Still a viable option to build a gaming computer around?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 19, 2014 12:56:53 PM

Hello, thanks for clicking on my thread. My question is basically as stated above. Is an intel i7 990x still a good choice to build a high end gaming pc around. I recieved the processor as a gift a few years ago, and i would love to know if you think it will still be relevant and viable for gaming, 3d rendering (cinema 4d), video editing(sony vegas pro 12) and photoshop cs6. I was planning on pairing it with a asus r9 290.
I know it is a powerful processor, but does it still make sense to use and build around a computer, and with newer processors and more efficient designs is it still a good idea. I can't sell the card fyi
Thanks
a b 4 Gaming
a c 180 à CPUs
June 19, 2014 1:00:45 PM

If you already have it, and you can't sell it, and it was free.....build something with it.
It's not cutting edge, but it's not terrible.

Your other option is to box it up and mail it to me. I'll pay shipping.
m
0
l
June 19, 2014 1:02:22 PM

Off course my friend,that chip can push any graphics card out there....you wont have to upgrade any time soon.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 19, 2014 1:05:36 PM

nomad_1911 said:
Off course my friend,that chip can push any graphics card out there....you wont have to upgrade any time soon.


Thanks , that definitely makes sense. I realize the power it has, but I just wanted to know if it would be better to have a new 4770k in my build with all its efficiency and power consumption difference, and just let the i7 990x fade into obscurity:na: 
m
0
l
June 19, 2014 1:06:46 PM

USAFRet said:
If you already have it, and you can't sell it, and it was free.....build something with it.
It's not cutting edge, but it's not terrible.

Your other option is to box it up and mail it to me. I'll pay shipping.


Haha thanks man. Is it still viable for media production compared to the much newer, efficient ivy bridge cpus?

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2014 1:08:19 PM

Looks "OK" for gaming and still pretty super for apps that can be heavily paralleled. I'd buy an inexpensive MOBO and use that chip I think but it's a close call with just going with the newer platform. Your call but, either way looks OK. Power consumption don't concern me much on a desktop.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 180 à CPUs
June 19, 2014 1:09:56 PM

inventoroflag said:
USAFRet said:
If you already have it, and you can't sell it, and it was free.....build something with it.
It's not cutting edge, but it's not terrible.

Your other option is to box it up and mail it to me. I'll pay shipping.


Haha thanks man. Is it still viable for media production compared to the much newer, efficient ivy bridge cpus?



Will it work? Sure. A newer CPU (and all that goes with it) might be somewhat faster. But you already have this. Make something with it.
m
0
l
June 19, 2014 1:11:39 PM

notherdude said:
Looks "OK" for gaming and still pretty super for apps that can be heavily paralleled. I'd buy an inexpensive MOBO and use that chip I think but it's a close call with just going with the newer platform. Your call but, either way looks OK.


Thanks for the reply man. I definitely plan to push it with lots of multitasking with some intensive programs, I know it should handle that pretty well. How hard would it be to find a 1366 mobo thats nicely equipped and built?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2014 1:13:16 PM

inventoroflag said:
Hello, thanks for clicking on my thread. My question is basically as stated above. Is an intel i7 990x still a good choice to build a high end gaming pc around. I recieved the processor as a gift a few years ago, and i would love to know if you think it will still be relevant and viable for gaming, 3d rendering (cinema 4d), video editing(sony vegas pro 12) and photoshop cs6. I was planning on pairing it with a asus r9 290.
I know it is a powerful processor, but does it still make sense to use and build around a computer, and with newer processors and more efficient designs is it still a good idea. I can't sell the card fyi
Thanks


If you could sell it for around $700 (more if its not opened yet) you can get a much better ivy bridge 6 core processor like a 4930k which is around $500 and with the saved money spend it on a motherboard
m
0
l
June 19, 2014 1:14:39 PM

USAFRet said:
inventoroflag said:
USAFRet said:
If you already have it, and you can't sell it, and it was free.....build something with it.
It's not cutting edge, but it's not terrible.

Your other option is to box it up and mail it to me. I'll pay shipping.


Haha thanks man. Is it still viable for media production compared to the much newer, efficient ivy bridge cpus?



Will it work? Sure. A newer CPU (and all that goes with it) might be somewhat faster. But you already have this. Make something with it.

Definitely a good point. I think i'm gonna utilize it in my next big build. The harder part will be finding 1366 mother
board and compatible parts I think. Any suggestions?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2014 1:20:25 PM

inventoroflag said:
notherdude said:
Looks "OK" for gaming and still pretty super for apps that can be heavily paralleled. I'd buy an inexpensive MOBO and use that chip I think but it's a close call with just going with the newer platform. Your call but, either way looks OK.


Thanks for the reply man. I definitely plan to push it with lots of multitasking with some intensive programs, I know it should handle that pretty well. How hard would it be to find a 1366 mobo thats nicely equipped and built?


Searching . . . and not finding much in stock unless I go to Ebay where new boards are still pretty expensive and you hate to buy used. . .could this be the rub?
m
0
l
June 19, 2014 1:24:15 PM

notherdude said:
inventoroflag said:
notherdude said:
Looks "OK" for gaming and still pretty super for apps that can be heavily paralleled. I'd buy an inexpensive MOBO and use that chip I think but it's a close call with just going with the newer platform. Your call but, either way looks OK.


Thanks for the reply man. I definitely plan to push it with lots of multitasking with some intensive programs, I know it should handle that pretty well. How hard would it be to find a 1366 mobo thats nicely equipped and built?


Searching . . . and not finding much in stock unless I go to Ebay where new boards are still pretty expensive and you hate to buy used. . .could this be the rub?


Hmm yeah that's where I have looked before. Wouldn't mind spending some money on a new board
m
0
l
June 19, 2014 1:25:10 PM

M0j0jojo said:
inventoroflag said:
Hello, thanks for clicking on my thread. My question is basically as stated above. Is an intel i7 990x still a good choice to build a high end gaming pc around. I recieved the processor as a gift a few years ago, and i would love to know if you think it will still be relevant and viable for gaming, 3d rendering (cinema 4d), video editing(sony vegas pro 12) and photoshop cs6. I was planning on pairing it with a asus r9 290.
I know it is a powerful processor, but does it still make sense to use and build around a computer, and with newer processors and more efficient designs is it still a good idea. I can't sell the card fyi
Thanks


If you could sell it for around $700 (more if its not opened yet) you can get a much better ivy bridge 6 core processor like a 4930k which is around $500 and with the saved money spend it on a motherboard


Yes but the person who gifted me this works at intel and sale is not an option apparently.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 156 à CPUs
June 19, 2014 1:32:22 PM

inventoroflag said:
M0j0jojo said:
inventoroflag said:
Hello, thanks for clicking on my thread. My question is basically as stated above. Is an intel i7 990x still a good choice to build a high end gaming pc around. I recieved the processor as a gift a few years ago, and i would love to know if you think it will still be relevant and viable for gaming, 3d rendering (cinema 4d), video editing(sony vegas pro 12) and photoshop cs6. I was planning on pairing it with a asus r9 290.
I know it is a powerful processor, but does it still make sense to use and build around a computer, and with newer processors and more efficient designs is it still a good idea. I can't sell the card fyi
Thanks


If you could sell it for around $700 (more if its not opened yet) you can get a much better ivy bridge 6 core processor like a 4930k which is around $500 and with the saved money spend it on a motherboard


Yes but the person who gifted me this works at intel and sale is not an option apparently.


In that case its still a very decent cpu. If you can get a good overclock on it and boost the single thread performance a bit then you wont need anything better for quite a while. As games are getting more multithreaded the 6core / 12 thread of this cpu would be a bonus.

Many people still recommend the AMD 8350 for gaming today, and at stock clock speeds the 990x is superior to that.
m
0
l
June 19, 2014 1:38:34 PM

RobCrezz said:
inventoroflag said:
M0j0jojo said:
inventoroflag said:
Hello, thanks for clicking on my thread. My question is basically as stated above. Is an intel i7 990x still a good choice to build a high end gaming pc around. I recieved the processor as a gift a few years ago, and i would love to know if you think it will still be relevant and viable for gaming, 3d rendering (cinema 4d), video editing(sony vegas pro 12) and photoshop cs6. I was planning on pairing it with a asus r9 290.
I know it is a powerful processor, but does it still make sense to use and build around a computer, and with newer processors and more efficient designs is it still a good idea. I can't sell the card fyi
Thanks


If you could sell it for around $700 (more if its not opened yet) you can get a much better ivy bridge 6 core processor like a 4930k which is around $500 and with the saved money spend it on a motherboard


Yes but the person who gifted me this works at intel and sale is not an option apparently.


In that case its still a very decent cpu. If you can get a good overclock on it and boost the single thread performance a bit then you wont need anything better for quite a while. As games are getting more multithreaded the 6core / 12 thread of this cpu would be a bonus.

Many people still recommend the AMD 8350 for gaming today, and at stock clock speeds the 990x is superior to that.


Thanks for the reply. Yeah good points this thing will still be relevant for gaming for a long time. What kind of overclock could i get that will be stable but help in rendering and other similar things?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 156 à CPUs
June 19, 2014 2:42:10 PM

4-4.2Ghz depending on your cooling.
m
0
l
!