800 Dollar Gaming Build Help

Trevroar

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
Hey, I was contemplating buying a pre-made from digital storm, but after lots of thinking, I decided I would attempt to build.

My Budget is 800 USD.
My intentions are to be playing Current Games- Any cool MMO that catches my eye, Day Z, Demon Souls 2, Dead Rising 3, GTA: V, BattleField, ext... and pretty much whatever games pop up in the next year or 2.
Priority is gaming.

Any help from the pro's would be much appreciated.

And if possible, I live in Arizona where Fry's Electronics exists, I would much like to find all the parts on their online website and be able to go in store and pick them up rather than rely on shipping from sites like Newegg and Amazon. If I have to spend a little more to be able to buy from Fry's then so be it. This isn't a deal breaker however.

Thanks to whoever can help!

Solution

joker50060

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.30 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.92 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $817.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-19 21:10 EDT-0400

Trevroar

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

Is there any special comments you'd like to make about this build? Will it for sure last through the next year or two with decent graphic's settings?

joker50060

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

Ya it can max out most games n play them from High to ultra and it will last for a year or two for sure
i mean even if after two years you couldn't play games all you're gunna have to upgrade is the GPU not anthing else
so i would go with this build great for its price

@op

does the $800 include OS, peripherals and monitor or not? there is a big difference as to the performance we can get depending on if it does or not as instead of an $800 tower it would be a $550 tower with that equipment

that build looks generally solid however i would like to make a few notes.

- the xpg ram looks to be high heat spreader so may clash with larger cpu heatsinks in case you upgraded in the future. while definitely a bit more money i've personally used the g.skill ripjaws 1866 for $79 with great luck in the past. i've never dealt with adata before.

-i'm not sure as to the reliability of the psu he mentioned. generally it is only suggested to buy tier 1, 2, or 2b psus. *maybe* tier 3 if stretching on a budget but its not as suggested and definitely no lower on the list. https://community.newegg.com/eggxpert/computer_hardware/f/135081/t/45344.aspx?Redirected=true for a bit more you could get a unit from xfx (made by seasonic which is an industry leader).

other than that looks solid. the direccuII cooling system is one of the better ones for graphic cards, that case has decent airflow if not very pretty, the cpu cooler will work for up to minor overclocking. the motherboard and cpu and ram are all good for overclocking.

the only improvements i see are if you did not want to overclock... where a few dollars could be saved but not enough to really matter (perhaps $30 or so) since the difference in chips is only about $10 normally and $100 is also fairly cheap already for a motherboard so you would save about $20 at most there. i would keep the cpu cooler regardless because the stock coolers arent all that great.

an os (i would suggest windows 7) is going to cost you $100 more than the above mentioned hardware.

a monitor is going to cost you at least $100 up to about $150/200 for something decent.

its easy to spend $100 on a mouse and keyboard set as well of course its possible to find some cheaper but still decent hardware.

Trevroar

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

I was planning on my $800 budget to include the OS, but looking at the setup joker50060 provided, I can probably find some wiggle room in my wallet to buy Windows 7. And other than needing to buy some cheap speakers and a keyboard, I don't need anything other than the tower.

I would be interested in Overclocking it eventually.

Keeping within the $800 dollar range, what parts exactly would you recommend...? Joker50060's build?

jokers build is very solid.

the only thing i would be worried about is where the psu falls on the tier list as i'm not sure. even tier 3 units can be problematic with the popular corsair cx series having a history of literally blowing up due to a bad capacitor inside when pushed to hard. as long as you do not come anywhere near close to maximum wattage though you should be fine. since you wont be drawing anything close to the max ratings on the evga psu you are probably fine however i personally dont like taking chances which is why i always suggest tier 1/2/2b units since they are rock solid.

if you wanted to lower the price you could always use amd. if you get a fx-8320 ($150) you can pair it with a 970 chipset board ($70) and overclock fairly well which saves $80 you can use elsewhere. for the same price as the intel motherboard you can get a 990fx chipset motherboard which is even better for overclocking (most stable).

the amd cpus are not as powerful as the intel models and do draw more power and produce more heat but they are cheaper. if you can manage the budget i would definitely suggest an i5 over the fx8320 however going amd is definitely an option if you wanted to cut back.

you could also drop down to a cheaper gpu which would save cash however that is going to seriously hurt your framerates and graphic capabilities so i wouldnt suggest that unless you are willing to drop down to medium graphics levels in which case a 270x would work. the 280x is going to stay competitive for longer though.

joker50060

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

The EVGA is just fine its great for the price
and a 280X is just an OCed version of the 280 so going with the 280 to save money then OC
to the 280X performance or maybe better

Trevroar

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

Is there a equal quality CPU rather than the Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz you recommended. New Egg has it on pre-order til next week.

joker50060

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

The I5 4670K but i recommend the I5 4690K because you can OC it more then the 4670K
but its okay if you are in a hurry go with the I5 4670K they are the same

Solution
the 4690 is the next generation of intel processors which is coming out. the 4670 is the current gen haswell.

the z97 platform is also for next gen (or current gen) while the z87 is for current gen haswell

its not going to save you any real money to go with z87 over z97 or the 4670 over the 4690. if you can wait for it to be released i would wait for the new chip and if you cannot then you are fine with the current gen chip. both will work.

Trevroar

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

Oh and one more thing, would I need a network card to pick up wifi?

you can get a z97 motherboard which has that capability (i know some of the asus models have integrated wifi) but a seperate wifi card or external router is going to get you better signal and would be the suggested course. going with a cat5e connection however is always optimal if possible (if not just use a wifi card)