FX 6300 to 6350 speeds including power saving, turbo core, etc?

sapperastro

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Hello all,

A friend of mine has asked me to overclock his FX 6300. No problem thinks I.

However, he then asks if I can just bump it to the same clocks as a 6350...even easier!

However, he also wants the power saving options on, with turbo core to the same speed as the 6350, as if he was using a 6350...well..\

Thought I had better put that question out here before attempting it. Has anyone done this before? I usually just turn the hippy stuff off and overclock, but if anyone has overclocked while keeping the power saving stuff intact, turbo core, etc, please let me know if is possible, and a rough rundown of what differences in the overclocking process.

Solution
It should definitely be doable. The clockspeed difference between the two is fairly small.

Overclocking with powersaving features is typically more challenging but I wouldn't call it hard. It all comes down to the PC dropping clockspeed and, if possible, voltage as well during idle and low load. Use a program(s) to monitor temperature, clockspeed, and voltage in windows to see if the powersavings features are behaving properly and you will be fine. I personally use CPU-Z and HWMonitor.

Since you are trying to preserve power features you will not be setting a constant voltage in the bios (if you even need to increase voltage). You will be setting the voltage offset, or whatever your motherboard may happen to call it. That way you will...

natedawg72

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
It should definitely be doable. The clockspeed difference between the two is fairly small.

Overclocking with powersaving features is typically more challenging but I wouldn't call it hard. It all comes down to the PC dropping clockspeed and, if possible, voltage as well during idle and low load. Use a program(s) to monitor temperature, clockspeed, and voltage in windows to see if the powersavings features are behaving properly and you will be fine. I personally use CPU-Z and HWMonitor.

Since you are trying to preserve power features you will not be setting a constant voltage in the bios (if you even need to increase voltage). You will be setting the voltage offset, or whatever your motherboard may happen to call it. That way you will allow the computer to reduce voltage during idle.

In my experience, overclocking with power savings only becomes difficult or problematic when doing serious undervolting (idle voltage drops too far) or when going for maximum possible overclock. The overclock you'll be doing should be a piece of cake, though a bit more work than if you didn't have to bother with power savings stuff.

Solution

jeffredo

Distinguished
Overclock it to the turbo frequency of 4.2 Ghz, turn turbo off and leave the energy saving features enabled. I'd wager any FX-6300 could hit that (probably on stock voltage) and performance would be better all the way round. Most motherboards should still downclock the CPU (if the OS has "balanced" enabled).