Solved

In need of a new graphics card (250 dollars +/-)

My graphics card failed me a couple of days ago. To be honest, I still am not 100% sure if that is the problem or not, but based on my knowledge and the help I've gotten from both friends and Google, it seems like it.

I will be giving the card one last chance, but for that I need a Windows CD which is being shipped to me as I am typing this. I highly doubt it will work, which is why I'm here asking for expertise.


Anyways, I have an Acer Predator G3600, which I have been changing parts on over the last 3 years..

Motherboard: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/968/808/473/473808968_710.jpg
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 / 3.4 GHz
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6850
PSU: Corsair CX500M. (Recently changed)
RAM: 12 GB (DDR3 SDRAM, 1333 MHz)
I have both an SSD (Corsair 90GB 3 Series) and a Standard 1 TB HDD from Seagate.

Sorry for the lack of details on the motherboard!

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I am looking for a card around the price of 200-250 dollars +/-
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card 250 dollars
  1. if your mobo supports the gtx 780 take a look at that

    theres also the 770 in 2gb or the 770 in 4gb

    I am looking to build a rig for Battlefield 4 ultra so have done a lot of research on these cards and man there worth there weight in gold!!!!
  2. Deaddog3 said:
    My graphics card failed me a couple of days ago. To be honest, I still am not 100% sure if that is the problem or not, but based on my knowledge and the help I've gotten from both friends and Google, it seems like it.

    I will be giving the card one last chance, but for that I need a Windows CD which is being shipped to me as I am typing this. I highly doubt it will work, which is why I'm here asking for expertise.


    Anyways, I have an Acer Predator G3600, which I have been changing parts on over the last 3 years..

    Motherboard: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/968/808/473/473808968_710.jpg
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 / 3.4 GHz
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6850
    PSU: Corsair CX500M. (Recently changed)
    RAM: 12 GB (DDR3 SDRAM, 1333 MHz)
    I have both an SSD (Corsair 90GB 3 Series) and a Standard 1 TB HDD from Seagate.

    Sorry for the lack of details on the motherboard!

    Thanks for any help.

    EDIT: I forgot to add that I am looking for a card around the price of 200-250 dollars +/-


    You can easily find the name and model of you mobo with this:

    CPU-Z

    Under the "mainboard" tab your motherboards manufacturer and the model name can be found.


    12gb? Your processor is dual-channel you should have 8 or 16gb.


    At your budget you should be looking at a gtx 760, or a r9 280/7950.
  3. CrankiestFoZzY said:
    if your mobo supports the gtx 780 take a look at that

    theres also the 770 in 2gb or the 770 in 4gb

    I am looking to build a rig for Battlefield 4 ultra so have done a lot of research on these cards and man there worth there weight in gold!!!!


    My main problem is that I don't know enough about what is compatible with my motherboard and will work with the limit of watt I have on my PSU, that alongside what card is the most value for my money.

    I am not building a new computer, so I'm keeping the expenses to a "low".. So those cards are something I won't invest in as of now, but thanks.
  4. your PC isn't old enough to have anything below PCIe 2.0, so there's not a real issue with "compatibility", that's what drivers are for. Whatever fits in your case that you can afford should work just fine with your machine, and your PSU should support anything in your price range just fine. I'd suggest a 280 or 280x
  5. maxalge said:
    Deaddog3 said:
    My graphics card failed me a couple of days ago. To be honest, I still am not 100% sure if that is the problem or not, but based on my knowledge and the help I've gotten from both friends and Google, it seems like it.

    I will be giving the card one last chance, but for that I need a Windows CD which is being shipped to me as I am typing this. I highly doubt it will work, which is why I'm here asking for expertise.


    Anyways, I have an Acer Predator G3600, which I have been changing parts on over the last 3 years..

    Motherboard: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/968/808/473/473808968_710.jpg
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 / 3.4 GHz
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6850
    PSU: Corsair CX500M. (Recently changed)
    RAM: 12 GB (DDR3 SDRAM, 1333 MHz)
    I have both an SSD (Corsair 90GB 3 Series) and a Standard 1 TB HDD from Seagate.

    Sorry for the lack of details on the motherboard!

    Thanks for any help.

    EDIT: I forgot to add that I am looking for a card around the price of 200-250 dollars +/-


    You can easily find the name and model of you mobo with this:

    CPU-Z

    Under the "mainboard" tab your motherboards manufacturer and the model name can be found.


    12gb? Your processor is dual-channel you should have 8 or 16gb.


    At your budget you should be looking at a gtx 760, or a r9 280/7950.


    I didn't know, thanks.

    I donwloaded the program and I got the following information:
    Manufacturer: Acer
    Model: Predator G3600
    Chipset: Intel Sandy Bridge (Rev,) 09
    Southbridge: Intel H67 (Rev.) B3
    LPCIO: ITE IT8728

    BIOS
    Brand: American Megatrends Inc.
    Version: P01-A3

    Interface
    Version PCI-Express
    Link width: 16 (Max supported) x16

    I have no idea of what most of that means, or even if it's helpful, but that is what came up..

    I am certain that I have 12 GB RAM divided on 3 out of 4 spots.
  6. Jaxem said:
    your PC isn't old enough to have anything below PCIe 2.0, so there's not a real issue with "compatibility", that's what drivers are for. Whatever fits in your case that you can afford should work just fine with your machine, and your PSU should support anything in your price range just fine. I'd suggest a 280 or 280x


    Thanks, I was looking at "futuremark" for what was recommended and R9 270x caught my attention.. I didn't mention, but I live in Norway, so the prices here are significantly higher here than where I assume you might be basing the prices of..

    Looking at it, the 270X and 280 has a fairly similar pricetag, what is the main differences and what should I go with? I don't overclock my computer whatsoever if that should be a part of the decision.
  7. Best answer
    Your machine would support a 270x or 280 just fine, the 280 is a re-badged 7950, so a bit more processing power from the 1792 shaders vs the 1280 of the 270x, but if the 280 is markedly more expensive, i'd just get a 270x, it's a great card as well, i had one and it gamed whatever i wanted on High to Ultra settings at 1920x1080 most the time :)
  8. Jaxem said:
    Your machine would support a 270x or 280 just fine, the 280 is a re-badged 7950, so a bit more processing power from the 1792 shaders vs the 1280 of the 270x, but if the 280 is markedly more expensive, i'd just get a 270x, it's a great card as well, i had one and it gamed whatever i wanted on High to Ultra settings at 1920x1080 most the time :)


    The price gap is on the 280 and 280x, the prices of 270x and 280 is quite similar..Concidering that, the best option would be a 280 I assume?
  9. Sounds like you answered your own question there :)
  10. Jaxem said:
    Sounds like you answered your own question there :)


    Thank you so much for the help.. I had no idea I would get this much attention from strangers :)

    But yeah, I will make sure that the card will fit in my case (it is minimal) and hopefully that will sort out my BSOD and add to the performance:)
  11. Best of luck!
  12. Jaxem said:
    Best of luck!


    One last question.. As I was looking for the best price I found a ton of different versions of the card..
    There is: Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, VTX3D and more. What is that all about?
  13. they're more or less the same card, just different companies making it. Component quality will differ by maker as will quality of cooling solution and such, Brands like Asus, Gigabyte, and Sapphire are some of the better ones, MSI and XFX are kind of hit or miss, Powercolor, HIS, Galaxy and a few others are more miss, less hit. I've only sampled 3 or 4 different manufacturers and i've had good experiences with Sapphire, Asus, and XFX. But pick based on what's available and affordable, even if you pick one of the other brands, your mileage will vary
  14. Deaddog3 said:
    My graphics card failed me a couple of days ago. To be honest, I still am not 100% sure if that is the problem or not, but based on my knowledge and the help I've gotten from both friends and Google, it seems like it.

    I will be giving the card one last chance, but for that I need a Windows CD which is being shipped to me as I am typing this. I highly doubt it will work, which is why I'm here asking for expertise.


    Anyways, I have an Acer Predator G3600, which I have been changing parts on over the last 3 years..

    Motherboard: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/968/808/473/473808968_710.jpg
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 / 3.4 GHz
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6850
    PSU: Corsair CX500M. (Recently changed)
    RAM: 12 GB (DDR3 SDRAM, 1333 MHz)
    I have both an SSD (Corsair 90GB 3 Series) and a Standard 1 TB HDD from Seagate.

    Sorry for the lack of details on the motherboard!

    Thanks for any help.

    EDIT: I forgot to add that I am looking for a card around the price of 200-250 dollars +/-


    Go for the r9 280 or gtx 760 You will max any game at 1080p with well over 50 fps for the most part (98% of games)You really should have gotten a better power supply, but these cards will run fine. For battlefield 4, thief, etc go for the r9 280, but your choice

    R9 280:http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Double-933MHz-Graphics-R9280ATDFD/dp/B00J44WVYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403331828&sr=8-1&keywords=r9+280
    GTX:760:http://www.amazon.com/GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5-GeForce-256-bit-PCI-Express-OC-selected/dp/B00DBPKEOI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403331816&sr=8-2&keywords=gtx+760
    I would personally get the 280, but because your power supply might want to get the 280. Extra money to spend? Get a better cpu cooler like a hyper 212 evo or a hyper tx3.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics