Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First time gaming PC build [1200-1500€]

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 21, 2014 6:43:48 AM

This is my first time trying to build a computer so I was eager to check in with you guys if you support my choice of components! I'm willing to spend a maximum of 1500 euros on this new gaming rig, including a 27 inch monitor.

No overclocking intended.

Case: Corsair 200R

CPU: i7 4790

CPU fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

(I'm actually not sure whether I need to replace the stockcooler on the i7, advise please?)

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

or the ASUS Z97-C

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A2133C11R

PSU: Cooler Master V650 – Compact 650W 80 PLUS Gold PSU with Modular Molex/SATA Cables

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB

HDD: 2 TB 7200 rpm, 64MB cache (still need to chose a particular one)

GPU: ASUS NVIDIA GFX 770 2 GB DDR5

Monitor: IIyama 27" XB2780HSU-B1 16:9 1920x1080 5ms


MANY THANKS!
June 21, 2014 6:49:15 AM

IronCobraBelgium said:
This is my first time trying to build a computer so I was eager to check in with you guys if you support my choice of components! I'm willing to spend a maximum of 1500 euros on this new gaming rig, including a 27 inch monitor.

No overclocking intended.

Case: Corsair 200R

CPU: i7 4790

CPU fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

(I'm actually not sure whether I need to replace the stockcooler on the i7, advise please?)

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

or the ASUS Z97-C

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A2133C11R

PSU: Cooler Master V650 – Compact 650W 80 PLUS Gold PSU with Modular Molex/SATA Cables

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB

HDD: 2 TB 7200 rpm, 64MB cache (still need to chose a particular one)

GPU: ASUS NVIDIA GFX 770 2 GB DDR5

Monitor: IIyama 27" XB2780HSU-B1 16:9 1920x1080 5ms


MANY THANKS!


It looks great, If got more money, go for the gtx780 or r9 290

and changing the included heatsink will be better, just incase if the heat goes up too high, the stock one wont help
m
0
l
June 21, 2014 6:51:45 AM

Hi Epix,
Thank you for you're quick response.
Do you think I need to replace the stock CPU fan? Or is it somewhat thrown away money since I won't be overclocking...
m
0
l
Related resources
June 21, 2014 6:53:10 AM

IronCobraBelgium said:
Hi Epix,
Thank you for you're quick response.
Do you think I need to replace the stock CPU fan? Or is it somewhat thrown away money since I won't be overclocking...


umm, it is best for you to change it, just in case if it gets too hot, the stock one won't cool it well.
m
0
l
June 21, 2014 7:03:44 AM

umm response?
m
0
l
June 21, 2014 7:44:59 AM

Sorry, still have some exams to prepare for 8-)

Ok thank you Epix, although it is not that expensive, I was wondering if I actually needed the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with the i7 4790 which is locked and not OC'able. I'll guess I can spend that extra money for more safety ;) 

-May I ask you what you think of the motherboard suggestions? Any big advantages of the Z97-A over the Z97-C can't really tell the difference apart from the price. Z97-A seems to be more frequently used?

Too bad I can't afford the gtx780, but I think gtx770 will manage most of the games for now and hopefully upcoming games for a while as well.

-And would you agree to chose the i7 4790 over the i7 4770K? I've never ever OC'ed but it seems that it has become super-easy, especially with the automatic OC feature on the ASUS motherboards.


Thank you!

m
0
l
June 21, 2014 7:51:05 AM

IronCobraBelgium said:
Sorry, still have some exams to prepare for 8-)

Ok thank you Epix, although it is not that expensive, I was wondering if I actually needed the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with the i7 4790 which is locked and not OC'able. I'll guess I can spend that extra money for more safety ;) 

-May I ask you what you think of the motherboard suggestions? Any big advantages of the Z97-A over the Z97-C can't really tell the difference apart from the price. Z97-A seems to be more frequently used?

Too bad I can't afford the gtx780, but I think gtx770 will manage most of the games for now and hopefully upcoming games for a while as well.

-And would you agree to chose the i7 4790 over the i7 4770K? I've never ever OC'ed but it seems that it has become super-easy, especially with the automatic OC feature on the ASUS motherboards.


Thank you!




Same here, preparing for exams too.

There will not be any noticable change, but the z97-a will be better for overclocking. If you want to OC, get the i7 4790k, better than the 4770k and same price as the 4770k (in the US) maybe it will be the same in your country. And I suggest OCing cuz its a good 'bang for the buck' and it will give you much more performance
m
0
l
June 21, 2014 8:15:30 AM

Hehe always good to hear you're not alone :)  Good luck out there!

You're right. 4770K is the same price as the 4790K, choice is easy then. Thank you for pointing that out. And it seems Belgian computerstores already have some stock which is great! For the 35€ price difference probably cost-efficient spending? Do you agree?

I'm sorry to bother you with these maybe silly questions, but is OC safe? I mean, can I do much wrong? Should I just stick with the motherboard 'automatic' feature or should I go on and experiment? I've partly chosen Intel for its stability and because it seemed like the 'safe choice' over AMD.

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 94 à CPUs
June 21, 2014 9:14:30 AM

Quote:
You're right. 4770K is the same price as the 4790K, choice is easy then. Thank you for pointing that out. And it seems Belgian computerstores already have some stock which is great! For the 35€ price difference probably cost-efficient spending? Do you agree?


You're getting a good OC capable mobo and a good (not great) CPU cooler, so may as well get the OC capable 4790K CPU as well, IF you go with the i7, but do you really need an i7 or will an i5 be sufficient?

The i7's mufti-threading capability is only helpful in CPU intensive applications, like 3D modeling, video rendering, etc. For gaming and everyday usage the i5 4690K will do just fine and save you some money.

Yogi
m
0
l
June 21, 2014 9:41:37 AM

Hi Yogi, thank you for your response!

To be honest, I've been thinking about that and have got the same advice from friends as well.
I also think I'm almost getting close to 'bottlenecking' the CPU by going for the latest i7 while 'only' spending €300 on the GPU. All considering I will not be doing any 3D modeling or video rendering. Most intensive applications will be the latest games.


The i5 will probably be sufficient. Is it correct that the i5 4690 you suggested is the fastest i5 on the market?
I noticed you could OC your CPU to 4.6 GHz, that's awesome. I'm new to the whole OC-concept and never really considered it to make such a big difference I guess...

Altough I know cooling gets pretty important when overclocking. Do you think the 'rather budget' case (Corsair 200R) will suffice? Could you maybe give me some suggestions on CPU and cooling fans? I tend to favor silent computers, thus silent fans...

Would you suggest investing the €100 won by 'CPU-downgrading' in a better GPU? I probably would have to input another €80 to be able to buy the Asus gtx 780... Any other suggestions on what to do with the 'extra' €100?

Thanks a bunch people!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 94 à CPUs
June 21, 2014 10:42:50 AM

Quote:

The i5 will probably be sufficient. Is it correct that the i5 4690 you suggested is the fastest i5 on the market?


Yes, if you can find it, the 4690K is the fastest i5. Same stock speed as the non-K version with the potential to OC.

Quote:
I noticed you could OC your CPU to 4.6 GHz, that's awesome. I'm new to the whole OC-concept and never really considered it to make such a big difference I guess...


Thank you.

The benefits of OC'ing are highly debatable. I'll leave you to do your own research. I'm just saying that if you spend the extra money for an OC mobo and aftermarket cooler then you may as well go whole-hog and get the "K" CPU as well.

Quote:
Although I know cooling gets pretty important when overclocking. Do you think the 'rather budget' case (Corsair 200R) will suffice?


I don't know much about cases, except mine. Just looking at the illustrations on Corsair's site that case looks rather "full" with the GTX 680 GPUs installed. Just be sure that it can accommodate your GPU and CPU cooler.

Quote:
Could you maybe give me some suggestions on CPU and cooling fans? I tend to favor silent computers, thus silent fans...


I have the Noctua NH D14 SE 2011 CPU cooler which is virtually silent 98% of the time. The only time that I hear it is when stress testing or other strenuous activity.

The SE 2011 is designed for the Intel LGA 2011 socket mobos and a $8 adapter kit is required to use it on an LGA 1150 socket mobo, like Haswell systems.

Noctua also makes the best and quietest cooling fans, if you should decide to supplement the 2 fans that come with your case. They're pretty pricey though.

Quote:
Would you suggest investing the €100 won by 'CPU-downgrading' in a better GPU? I probably would have to input another €80 to be able to buy the Asus gtx 780... Any other suggestions on what to do with the 'extra' €100?


A better GPU is almost always a good idea, IF you have the need for it, such as gaming, and the available funds. The GTX 780 would be a nice upgrade.

Quote:
Thanks a bunch people!


You're quite welcome!

Yogi
m
0
l
June 21, 2014 10:25:56 PM

IronCobraBelgium said:
Hehe always good to hear you're not alone :)  Good luck out there!

You're right. 4770K is the same price as the 4790K, choice is easy then. Thank you for pointing that out. And it seems Belgian computerstores already have some stock which is great! For the 35€ price difference probably cost-efficient spending? Do you agree?

I'm sorry to bother you with these maybe silly questions, but is OC safe? I mean, can I do much wrong? Should I just stick with the motherboard 'automatic' feature or should I go on and experiment? I've partly chosen Intel for its stability and because it seemed like the 'safe choice' over AMD.



OCing gives you more performance, but it will increase temperatures and may decrease the life span of the CPU
m
0
l
June 24, 2014 12:35:14 PM

Thank you Epix and Yogi for your input.
Eventually chose to go for overclocking in the end :)  Hope you approve! --->

Case: Cooler Master CM 690 III Closed (

CPU: i5-4690K

CPU fan: Noctua NH-D14 (Thx for the tip Yogi!)

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB

PSU: Cooler Master V650 – Compact 650W 80 PLUS Gold PSU with Modular Molex/SATA Cables

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB

HDD: Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

GPU: ASUS NVIDIA GFX 770 2 GB DDR5

Monitor: IIyama 27" XB2780HSU-B1 16:9 1920x1080 5ms


Comments are welcome!


Jonas
m
0
l
!