Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cannot change my graphics processor (Nvidia)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 21, 2014 12:38:38 PM

Hello

I have a little bit of an uncommon problem, and yes i know there should be a drop down menu with the graphic processor option.

But i have none as you can see in this picture http://postimg.org/image/yhnqwgm3x/

Also there is no ''Add high performance graphics processor'' in the Desktop dropdown menu...


what on earth is wrong with this control panel
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2014 12:47:18 PM

I'm confused as to what you mean.

If you have a graphics card installed, then the computer should be running off of that and not the integrated graphics on your motherboard.
m
0
l
June 21, 2014 12:49:09 PM

There is no dropdown menu in the Control panel prompting me to select either graphics processors, there should be.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2014 12:51:39 PM

Nortabun said:
Hello

I have a little bit of an uncommon problem, and yes i know there should be a drop down menu with the graphic processor option.

But i have none as you can see in this picture http://postimg.org/image/yhnqwgm3x/

Also there is no ''Add high performance graphics processor'' in the Desktop dropdown menu...


what on earth is wrong with this control panel


Just plug in the graphics card in your computer's PCIe port on the motherboard. Then plug in your monitor cable into that instead of the motherboard's video port. Install NVidia drivers, and you should be golden!
m
0
l
June 21, 2014 1:00:34 PM

Zircoben said:
Nortabun said:
Hello

I have a little bit of an uncommon problem, and yes i know there should be a drop down menu with the graphic processor option.

But i have none as you can see in this picture http://postimg.org/image/yhnqwgm3x/

Also there is no ''Add high performance graphics processor'' in the Desktop dropdown menu...

It is plugged in.. and my NVidia drivers are installed, i'm not that clueless.

The problem that ~50% of my games use my integrated card instead of my dedicated one, and i can't change it because that option is non existent....
what on earth is wrong with this control panel


Just plug in the graphics card in your computer's PCIe port on the motherboard. Then plug in your monitor cable into that instead of the motherboard's video port. Install NVidia drivers, and you should be golden!



Im not that clueless, i already have all that done. about 60% of my games use my dedicated card and the other 40% don't, the problem here is that the option that lets me change that is non existant for some reason.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2014 1:19:16 PM

Nortabun said:
Zircoben said:
Nortabun said:
Hello

I have a little bit of an uncommon problem, and yes i know there should be a drop down menu with the graphic processor option.

But i have none as you can see in this picture http://postimg.org/image/yhnqwgm3x/

Also there is no ''Add high performance graphics processor'' in the Desktop dropdown menu...

It is plugged in.. and my NVidia drivers are installed, i'm not that clueless.

The problem that ~50% of my games use my integrated card instead of my dedicated one, and i can't change it because that option is non existent....
what on earth is wrong with this control panel


Just plug in the graphics card in your computer's PCIe port on the motherboard. Then plug in your monitor cable into that instead of the motherboard's video port. Install NVidia drivers, and you should be golden!



Im not that clueless, i already have all that done. about 60% of my games use my dedicated card and the other 40% don't, the problem here is that the option that lets me change that is non existant for some reason.


Well if your monitor's DVI/VGA/HDMI port is plugged into the graphics card, there is no way it can use any other GPU. It is using your Nvidia card.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2014 1:27:36 PM

Your PCs integrated graphics will shut down completely if your display cables are plugged into your GPU, no 2 ways about it. You're either using your dedicated GPU for everything, or your integrated graphics for everything, the only exception is crossfire between AMDs integrated GPU on the Kaveri APU and AMDs Discreet GPUs
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2014 2:00:03 PM

Judging by the control panel you have an NVidia card installed but have Windows aero disabled. The fact the control panel has come up in the first place is proof your drivers are installed and working, if they hadn't you wouldn't be able to open the control panel. Lastly, you only get the option to pick which card to use on the mobile graphics cards as these pass through the on-board cards connectors.

The desktop cards are dedicated which means all games and programs run through them when screens are connected to them. You don't get the option of alternative graphics card because there isn't the facility to pass their output to another card in the desktop (the exception to this is crossfire and SLi where you are using pairs/triples of matching cards and additional bridges).
m
0
l
!