Solved

Sudden performance drop on my new gaming pc

I just recently built my own gaming desktop computer, and i have been amazed by the performance it delivers so far. Just recently, i got a weird problem that has caused almost any game to lag! Normally i have had a steady 60 fps in racing games (Those who are locked to 60) and an average 120-130fps in other games. But they all drop below 20 a lot now?!

I ran 3D Mark almost emediately after i had installed all drivers and program updates, and i have done the same benchmark now. i have lost about half of the performance i had earlier! Comparing the result details, everything is a match, except this interresting change under the cpu information:

"Before the performance drop":
Processor Intel Core i7-4820K
Reported stock core clock: 3 700 MHz
Maximum turbo core clock: 3 700 MHz <--

"After the performance drop":
Processor Intel Core i7-4820K
Reported stock core clock: 3 700 MHz
Maximum turbo core clock: 1 200 MHz <--

I have no idea what may have caused the problem, and i hope some of you have any idea on how i can fix this.
Any help appreciated!

My computer specs are:
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
Intel Core i7 4820k
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb, 1866mhz (4x4)
Evga gtx 780 "SC"
Kingston HyperX 250Gb ssd
28 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sudden performance drop gaming
  1. What are your GPU and CPU temps while gaming?
  2. When you ended the 3d mark did you just close it? Or did you end the test? Download and open msi afterburner and look at the gpu usage. Also, download cpuz and look at the cpu usage and tempratures. Report them.] Turn off the pc and turn it on and before the windows flags and press f8 go to device manager and uninstall the display adapter drivers. Restart the pc, go to the internet, and install the drivers from the nvidia site. Download an older reliable driver. Also, go to the bios, and check the cpu clock. Turn off turbo. What cpu and gpu cooler are you using?

    Here is the link for the drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
  3. Eduello said:
    What are your GPU and CPU temps while gaming?


    My Gpu temp is between 40-45 degrees celsius, and my cpu peaks at about 42 degrees
  4. ullert said:
    Eduello said:
    What are your GPU and CPU temps while gaming?


    My Gpu temp is between 40-45 degrees celsius, and my cpu peaks at about 42 degrees


    In msi afterburner, how high is the gpu usage? Go to the bios, and reset the safe defaults.
  5. Pcbuilder123 said:
    When you ended the 3d mark did you just close it? Or did you end the test? Download and open msi afterburner and look at the gpu usage. Also, download cpuz and look at the cpu usage and tempratures. Report them.] Turn off the pc and turn it on and before the windows flags and press f8 go to device manager and uninstall the display adapter drivers. Restart the pc, go to the internet, and install the drivers from the nvidia site. Download an older reliable driver. Also, go to the bios, and check the cpu clock. Turn off turbo. What cpu and gpu cooler are you using?

    Here is the link for the drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us


    1. I did not just close the test

    2. i have evga`s equivelent to msi`s afterburner and i have cpu-z. I dont know how i check the gpu/cpu usage while the test is going?

    3. I will try a different driver

    4. My gpu cooling is Evga`s ACX Cooler (http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-2784-KR)
    And my cpu cooler is a Napton 280l i believe.

    I currently have an issue with my nepton watercooler aswell (wich might be linked to the problems i am experiencing now) The waterpump/block and the 2, 140mm fans are stuck at full speed. I was able to control them (including all my other fans) trough Asus AI suite III earlier. Using "Fan Xpert 2" in "Dual Intelligent Processors 4". But now i am only getting an exclamation mark where i used to be able to controll the speeds?
    ,
  6. Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    Eduello said:
    What are your GPU and CPU temps while gaming?


    My Gpu temp is between 40-45 degrees celsius, and my cpu peaks at about 42 degrees


    In msi afterburner, how high is the gpu usage? Go to the bios, and reset the safe defaults.


    Gpu usage while idle is 0%?, and while gaming it reaches 40-50%. I have looked for a reset in the BIOS but have been unable to find it...
  7. ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    Eduello said:
    What are your GPU and CPU temps while gaming?


    My Gpu temp is between 40-45 degrees celsius, and my cpu peaks at about 42 degrees


    In msi afterburner, how high is the gpu usage? Go to the bios, and reset the safe defaults.


    Gpu usage while idle is 0%?, and while gaming it reaches 40-50%. I have looked for a reset in the BIOS but have been unable to find it...


    Fully shut off and unplug the pc. Look for the little battery and take it out for 10-20 seconds and put it back in. That will reset the settings. What cpu cooler?
  8. Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    Eduello said:
    What are your GPU and CPU temps while gaming?


    My Gpu temp is between 40-45 degrees celsius, and my cpu peaks at about 42 degrees


    In msi afterburner, how high is the gpu usage? Go to the bios, and reset the safe defaults.


    Gpu usage while idle is 0%?, and while gaming it reaches 40-50%. I have looked for a reset in the BIOS but have been unable to find it...


    Fully shut off and unplug the pc. Look for the little battery and take it out for 10-20 seconds and put it back in. That will reset the settings. What cpu cooler?


    I am looking for a battery but i cant see one?

    my cpu cooler is a Napton 280L.

    I currently have an issue with my nepton watercooler aswell (wich might be linked to the problems i am experiencing now) The waterpump/block and the 2, 140mm fans are stuck at full speed. I was able to control them (including all my other fans) trough Asus AI suite III earlier. Using "Fan Xpert 2" in "Dual Intelligent Processors 4". But now i am only getting an exclamation mark where i used to be able to controll the speeds?
  9. Pcbuilder123 said:


    I believe everything is plugged in where it should be and that the cooler mount is ok. Everything worked fine for 3-4 weeks, and just now, the radiator fans and the pump locked themselves to full speed.

    And i am afraid i don`t really understand what the CMOS, CLRTC_SW jumper and that is?
  10. Follow the guide I sent.
  11. Pcbuilder123 said:
    Follow the guide I sent.


    I cant locate the clr_cmos, and i dont think i have a jumper?
  12. ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    Follow the guide I sent.


    I cant locate the clr_cmos, and i dont think i have a jumper?


    Hmmm. This is really weird. Have you tried overclocking. Go to the advanced bios settings, and turn off turbo.
  13. Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    Follow the guide I sent.


    I cant locate the clr_cmos, and i dont think i have a jumper?


    Hmmm. This is really weird. Have you tried overclocking. Go to the advanced bios settings, and turn off turbo.


    I have tried one of the overclocked profiles that came with the motherboard, but have switched it all back to default. I have turned off the turbo
  14. ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    Follow the guide I sent.


    I cant locate the clr_cmos, and i dont think i have a jumper?


    Hmmm. This is really weird. Have you tried overclocking. Go to the advanced bios settings, and turn off turbo.


    I have tried one of the overclocked profiles that came with the motherboard, but have switched it all back to default. I have turned off the turbo

    Do you have an additional hard drive to back up to? Might wanna to a fresh windows install. Same thing happened to my friend on his ws series board.
  15. Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    Follow the guide I sent.


    I cant locate the clr_cmos, and i dont think i have a jumper?


    Hmmm. This is really weird. Have you tried overclocking. Go to the advanced bios settings, and turn off turbo.


    I have tried one of the overclocked profiles that came with the motherboard, but have switched it all back to default. I have turned off the turbo

    Do you have an additional hard drive to back up to? Might wanna to a fresh windows install. Same thing happened to my friend on his ws series board.


    Yeah i have a backup device. I guess reinstalling windows is one of the only options left?
  16. ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    Follow the guide I sent.


    I cant locate the clr_cmos, and i dont think i have a jumper?


    Hmmm. This is really weird. Have you tried overclocking. Go to the advanced bios settings, and turn off turbo.


    I have tried one of the overclocked profiles that came with the motherboard, but have switched it all back to default. I have turned off the turbo

    Do you have an additional hard drive to back up to? Might wanna to a fresh windows install. Same thing happened to my friend on his ws series board.


    Yeah i have a backup device. I guess reinstalling windows is one of the only options left?

    Yep. Also, just turn of and unplug the pc and leave it like that for 30 seconds. Also, when you left 3d mark was the benchmark over or did you just close it. Go to the windows power saving options and check those out. Uninstall any unwanted software.
  17. Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    Follow the guide I sent.


    I cant locate the clr_cmos, and i dont think i have a jumper?


    Hmmm. This is really weird. Have you tried overclocking. Go to the advanced bios settings, and turn off turbo.


    I have tried one of the overclocked profiles that came with the motherboard, but have switched it all back to default. I have turned off the turbo

    Do you have an additional hard drive to back up to? Might wanna to a fresh windows install. Same thing happened to my friend on his ws series board.


    Yeah i have a backup device. I guess reinstalling windows is one of the only options left?

    Yep. Also, just turn of and unplug the pc and leave it like that for 30 seconds. Also, when you left 3d mark was the benchmark over or did you just close it. Go to the windows power saving options and check those out. Uninstall any unwanted software.


    I left my computer unplugged for one whole night, and have looked trough all settings in windows and in the bios. When i did the 3D mark tests i never forced it to close. i let it run trough the whole test and display the result every time! I have now tried a roll-back and deleted all software installed, and i am now installing 3d mark to see if the performance is still low. I will then try a complete windows reinstall if the benchmark goes really bad ;l
  18. Hello there ;)

    Well it's kind of obvious from the 3dmark results that your cpu is seriously underclocked and probably that's why you're experiencing issues...
    Keep in mind that your motherboard comes with an OC panel for easy overclocking..
    Either you have that panel installed or not but both the panel and your motherboard have a switch for 'slow mode' which effectively and seriously underclocks your CPU to prevent it from overheating while you're messing around with clock speeds...

    So my theory atm is that you accidentally flipped the slow mode switch and have very limited CPU power.
    Cheers!
  19. zenx said:
    Hello there ;)

    Well it's kind of obvious from the 3dmark results that your cpu is seriously underclocked and probably that's why you're experiencing issues...
    Keep in mind that your motherboard comes with an OC panel for easy overclocking..
    Either you have that panel installed or not but both the panel and your motherboard have a switch for 'slow mode' which effectively and seriously underclocks your CPU to prevent it from overheating while you're messing around with clock speeds...

    So my theory atm is that you accidentally flipped the slow mode switch and have very limited CPU power.
    Cheers!


    Thanks for the tips! I am pretty shure i havent tuched any switch or messed with the oc panel (currently have it installed in the front for cpufan speed monitoring). I will check the switches and the oc panel to see if they might have been switched to slow mode ;)
  20. ullert said:


    Thanks for the tips! I am pretty shure i havent tuched any switch or messed with the oc panel (currently have it installed in the front for cpufan speed monitoring). I will check the switches and the oc panel to see if they might have been switched to slow mode ;)


    You're welcome :) And yes I am pretty sure you somehow switched to slow mode since you are running at the EXACT speed slow mode sets your CPU to. What it actually does is sets your CPU multiplier to 12 and since typically your base clock is 100 Mhz that would equal exactly 1200 Mhz - the same value you have in the 3dmark results. (and from the first result set you can see that you had your multiplier at 37)

    Cheers!
    Edit: I've even found you some reference material :) http://www.anandtech.com/show/7612/asus-rivbe (search for 'slow mode' and read at the 3rd occurrence on the page - you can see where exactly is your switch)
  21. zenx said:
    ullert said:


    Thanks for the tips! I am pretty shure i havent tuched any switch or messed with the oc panel (currently have it installed in the front for cpufan speed monitoring). I will check the switches and the oc panel to see if they might have been switched to slow mode ;)


    You're welcome :) And yes I am pretty sure you somehow switched to slow mode since you are running at the EXACT speed slow mode sets your CPU to. What it actually does is sets your CPU multiplier to 12 and since typically your base clock is 100 Mhz that would equal exactly 1200 Mhz - the same value you have in the 3dmark results. (and from the first result set you can see that you had your multiplier at 37)

    Cheers!
    Edit: I've even found you some reference material :) http://www.anandtech.com/show/7612/asus-rivbe (search for 'slow mode' and read at the 3rd occurrence on the page - you can see where exactly is your switch)


    That makes perfect sence! I boosted the baseclock to 125 while troubleshooting, and 125 x 12 is 1500, wich was the score i got on the 3D mark benchmark after the change :D Thanks for finding the picture aswell! I am turning of my computer to have a look at the switches, i will post the result as soon as possible :P
  22. ullert said:
    zenx said:
    ullert said:


    Thanks for the tips! I am pretty shure i havent tuched any switch or messed with the oc panel (currently have it installed in the front for cpufan speed monitoring). I will check the switches and the oc panel to see if they might have been switched to slow mode ;)


    You're welcome :) And yes I am pretty sure you somehow switched to slow mode since you are running at the EXACT speed slow mode sets your CPU to. What it actually does is sets your CPU multiplier to 12 and since typically your base clock is 100 Mhz that would equal exactly 1200 Mhz - the same value you have in the 3dmark results. (and from the first result set you can see that you had your multiplier at 37)

    Cheers!
    Edit: I've even found you some reference material :) http://www.anandtech.com/show/7612/asus-rivbe (search for 'slow mode' and read at the 3rd occurrence on the page - you can see where exactly is your switch)


    That makes perfect sence! I boosted the baseclock to 125 while troubleshooting, and 125 x 12 is 1500, wich was the score i got on the 3D mark benchmark after the change :D Thanks for finding the picture aswell! I am turning of my computer to have a look at the switches, i will post the result as soon as possible :P


    Awesome! How come earlier you weren't increasing the multiplier? Make sure to choose a best answer if your problem is over.
  23. Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    zenx said:
    ullert said:


    Thanks for the tips! I am pretty shure i havent tuched any switch or messed with the oc panel (currently have it installed in the front for cpufan speed monitoring). I will check the switches and the oc panel to see if they might have been switched to slow mode ;)


    You're welcome :) And yes I am pretty sure you somehow switched to slow mode since you are running at the EXACT speed slow mode sets your CPU to. What it actually does is sets your CPU multiplier to 12 and since typically your base clock is 100 Mhz that would equal exactly 1200 Mhz - the same value you have in the 3dmark results. (and from the first result set you can see that you had your multiplier at 37)

    Cheers!
    Edit: I've even found you some reference material :) http://www.anandtech.com/show/7612/asus-rivbe (search for 'slow mode' and read at the 3rd occurrence on the page - you can see where exactly is your switch)


    That makes perfect sence! I boosted the baseclock to 125 while troubleshooting, and 125 x 12 is 1500, wich was the score i got on the 3D mark benchmark after the change :D Thanks for finding the picture aswell! I am turning of my computer to have a look at the switches, i will post the result as soon as possible :P


    Awesome! How come earlier you weren't increasing the multiplier? Make sure to choose a best answer if your problem is over.


    all my slow_mode switches are set to Off, wich means that some program or app probably had set my computer in slow mode?
    I will not be able to test the benchmark until tomorrow because of my internet speed limitation (60 kb/s) so i will download 3d mark over night and have a look at the results tomorrow. The problem may still be there... is it a good idea to increase the base clock to get back the performance lost by the "safe mode glitch" im experiencing? will it shorten the lifetime of the processor if i increase the baseclock up to the max? (250mhz)
  24. ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    zenx said:
    ullert said:


    Thanks for the tips! I am pretty shure i havent tuched any switch or messed with the oc panel (currently have it installed in the front for cpufan speed monitoring). I will check the switches and the oc panel to see if they might have been switched to slow mode ;)


    You're welcome :) And yes I am pretty sure you somehow switched to slow mode since you are running at the EXACT speed slow mode sets your CPU to. What it actually does is sets your CPU multiplier to 12 and since typically your base clock is 100 Mhz that would equal exactly 1200 Mhz - the same value you have in the 3dmark results. (and from the first result set you can see that you had your multiplier at 37)

    Cheers!
    Edit: I've even found you some reference material :) http://www.anandtech.com/show/7612/asus-rivbe (search for 'slow mode' and read at the 3rd occurrence on the page - you can see where exactly is your switch)


    That makes perfect sence! I boosted the baseclock to 125 while troubleshooting, and 125 x 12 is 1500, wich was the score i got on the 3D mark benchmark after the change :D Thanks for finding the picture aswell! I am turning of my computer to have a look at the switches, i will post the result as soon as possible :P


    Awesome! How come earlier you weren't increasing the multiplier? Make sure to choose a best answer if your problem is over.


    all my slow_mode switches are set to Off, wich means that some program or app probably had set my computer in slow mode?
    I will not be able to test the benchmark until tomorrow because of my internet speed limitation (60 kb/s) so i will download 3d mark over night and have a look at the results tomorrow. The problem may still be there... is it a good idea to increase the base clock to get back the performance lost by the "safe mode glitch" im experiencing? will it shorten the lifetime of the processor if i increase the baseclock up to the max? (250mhz)

    60kbps... :( I thought 300 was bad. Lol, but really, just backup and reinstall windows
  25. Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    Pcbuilder123 said:
    ullert said:
    zenx said:
    ullert said:


    Thanks for the tips! I am pretty shure i havent tuched any switch or messed with the oc panel (currently have it installed in the front for cpufan speed monitoring). I will check the switches and the oc panel to see if they might have been switched to slow mode ;)


    You're welcome :) And yes I am pretty sure you somehow switched to slow mode since you are running at the EXACT speed slow mode sets your CPU to. What it actually does is sets your CPU multiplier to 12 and since typically your base clock is 100 Mhz that would equal exactly 1200 Mhz - the same value you have in the 3dmark results. (and from the first result set you can see that you had your multiplier at 37)

    Cheers!
    Edit: I've even found you some reference material :) http://www.anandtech.com/show/7612/asus-rivbe (search for 'slow mode' and read at the 3rd occurrence on the page - you can see where exactly is your switch)


    That makes perfect sence! I boosted the baseclock to 125 while troubleshooting, and 125 x 12 is 1500, wich was the score i got on the 3D mark benchmark after the change :D Thanks for finding the picture aswell! I am turning of my computer to have a look at the switches, i will post the result as soon as possible :P


    Awesome! How come earlier you weren't increasing the multiplier? Make sure to choose a best answer if your problem is over.


    all my slow_mode switches are set to Off, wich means that some program or app probably had set my computer in slow mode?
    I will not be able to test the benchmark until tomorrow because of my internet speed limitation (60 kb/s) so i will download 3d mark over night and have a look at the results tomorrow. The problem may still be there... is it a good idea to increase the base clock to get back the performance lost by the "safe mode glitch" im experiencing? will it shorten the lifetime of the processor if i increase the baseclock up to the max? (250mhz)

    60kbps... :( I thought 300 was bad. Lol, but really, just backup and reinstall windows


    I will maybe consider reinstalling windows, i could finaly do the benchmark, and the cpu turbo clock is back to normal now ;) but a new problem has come up x_x This is the information on the gpu after the 3dmark test:
    Memory 3 072 MB
    Core clock 0 MHz <--
    Memory bus clock 0 MHz
    <--

    I should have got a test score on about 9300, but now i got 93... seems like the cpu did all the work in the test :l
    (i have yet another problem with the watercooler, can i ask you guys about it in this post or do i make a new thread somewhere else on tomshardware forums about that?)
  26. Best answer
    Hi,
    Go to your bios, set your clock speed back to 100 Mhz and set your multiplier to 37 and you're done

    Cheers :)
    P.S. : Be careful with software such as AI Suite since it basically changes your clock speeds on the fly without asking you first based on system load :)) I personally don't like it since I can set m]]y own speeds :)

    Edit: Oh forgot to mention, you don't really need to run the benchmark every time.. just press windows + Pause key combination on your keyboard (system properties menu) and you can see your CPU speed there instantly the first value is the factory default and the second is the current speed - right now you should have something like your processor name and then 3.7 Ghz and the value 1.5 Ghz next to it.. your goal is to increase the second value to at least match the first one :) But yea anyway your solution should be as simple as disabling your windows overclocking software and simply setting your multiplier to 37 in the bios and your clock speed back to 100 (if you increase the base clock you need to change voltage settings as well otherwise your system becomes unstable.. so don't mess with those unless you know what you;re doing... but changing the multiplier is safe.. just set it to 37 and your clock speed back to 100 mhz... cheers!!! :)
  27. and no, you don't need to reinstall windows as it won't do you any good :P also you can see your clock speeds in the bios while you're modifying your multiplier.. your goal is 100x37 = 3.7 Ghz :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Intel gaming pc CPUs 4820k Games Performance