Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

first time computer build (budget gaming beast). need compatibility check

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 21, 2014 8:04:43 PM

hey everyone this is my first time building a gaming computer so I am unaware of how everything is done and I want to be 110% sure that the parts im about to buy are compatible and are the best value for money for gaming.
please check 2 things:
- part compatibility (particularly power supply)
-best price to value for pure gaming (mmo/fps/rpg)

part list
-Evga gtx 760 super clocked asx cooling $242
-intel i5 3470 $190
-as rock 1155 micro Tx b75m dgs r2.0 $70
-seasonic g series 550w atx12v sli/crossfire ready 80+ gold certified $90
-cooler master hyper 212 evo $30
Kingston hyperx fury 8gb 1600mhz dimm CL10 $70
- sea gate barracuda 1tb had sata 64mb cache $53
-rosewill ranger m dual fans micro atx mini case $35
- LG optical DVD drive GH24NSB0B $18
-tp ink wireless n150 PCI adapter TL WN75IND $62

-parts located on amazon

total = $804
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2014 8:09:46 PM

Go haswell or go home!!!
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 21, 2014 8:10:05 PM

3 suggestions
switch 760 with 270 or 280
switch to current gen intel (if oc G3258+Z97 PRO3 if not i5 4440/4460 + H97 PRO4)
switch RAM fo 2x4
Also, full ATX is usually better

EDIT: part list made
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($74.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill ARMOR-EVO ATX Full Tower Case ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($10.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $838.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Slightly more expensive, and not all from amazon :( 
Share
Related resources
June 21, 2014 8:19:44 PM

Alpha3031 said:
3 suggestions
switch 760 with 270 or 280
switch to current gen intel (if oc G3258+Z97 PRO3 if not i5 4440/4460 + H97 PRO4)
switch RAM fo 2x4
Also, full ATX is usually better


thanks for the reply. however I have read a few reviews and found that while atx is cheaper and has more cores their single threaded performance isn't as good as intels cause of their core architecture. and as most games run a max of 4 cores wouldn't intel be preferred for gaming? I'm new so have no clue so please explain my ignorance
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2014 8:21:18 PM

Firstly you're purchasing an elder motherboard, socket 1155 used for the older 3rd and 2nd generation Intel processors. We're currently on 4th generation, titled Haswell. You should purchase a socket 1150 (more recent) motherboard with a Haswell processor. You should go with the latest generation, especially as it costs the same.

With that said, everything should be compatible apart from your WiFi PCI card. Don't get me wrong it is compatible, however once you insert your graphics card, the GTX 760, the PCI card may not physically fit, as the GPU takes up two slots. You would be fine if you had a larger motherboard, but you have a microATX.

Also for price wise, you're not bad considering it's all from Amazon, however you can get certain components cheaper. Here's a build I've made for you which is cheaper than yours. The motherboard is also microATX, therefore I have included a USB adapter for WiFi. I have not included the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo however. Your build nor mine can overclock, therefore it is not necessary to include an aftermarket cooler; the one provided with Intel will be satisfactory

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($48.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.73 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($8.88 @ Amazon)
Total: $709.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

The above build is from various retailers and not only from Amazon however. With that other $100 saved, you could purchase a better CPU or GPU if you desire.

All the best. :) 
m
0
l
June 21, 2014 8:24:03 PM

Obnoxious said:
Firstly you're purchasing an elder motherboard, socket 1155 used for the older 3rd and 2nd generation Intel processors. We're currently on 4th generation, titled Haswell. You should purchase a socket 1150 (more recent) motherboard with a Haswell processor. You should go with the latest generation, especially as it costs the same.

With that said, everything should be compatible apart from your WiFi PCI card. Don't get me wrong it is compatible, however once you insert your graphics card, the GTX 760, the PCI card may not physically fit, as the GPU takes up two slots. You would be fine if you had a larger motherboard, but you have a microATX.

Also for price wise, you're not bad considering it's all from Amazon, however you can get certain components cheaper. Here's a build I've made for you which is cheaper than yours. The motherboard is also microATX, therefore I have included a USB adapter for WiFi. I have not included the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo however. Your build nor mine can overclock, therefore it is not necessary to include an aftermarket cooler; the one provided with Intel will be satisfactory


CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($48.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.73 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($8.88 @ Amazon)
Total: $709.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

The above build is from various retailers and not only from Amazon however. With that other $100 saved, you could purchase a better CPU or GPU if you desire.

All the best. :) 



thanks heaps! cheers. much appreciated.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2014 8:29:51 PM

theomen131 said:
Alpha3031 said:
3 suggestions
switch 760 with 270 or 280
switch to current gen intel (if oc G3258+Z97 PRO3 if not i5 4440/4460 + H97 PRO4)
switch RAM fo 2x4
Also, full ATX is usually better


thanks for the reply. however I have read a few reviews and found that while atx is cheaper and has more cores their single threaded performance isn't as good as intels cause of their core architecture. and as most games run a max of 4 cores wouldn't intel be preferred for gaming? I'm new so have no clue so please explain my ignorance


Not AMD :)  ATX is a MoBo form factor, it's bigger and usually has more headers/features etc
m
0
l
!