i7 920 to 4770k worth the upgrade?

W00dmann

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
I have a quad core i7 920 @ 2.66Ghz from 2009 which has served me well, but I'm running a hungry single-threaded application that sometimes gets bogged down. Thinking of upgrading to a 4770k at 3.5Ghz with new mobo and ram. I seem to be having a hard time finding out how much of a speed increase I may expect. Some people say 50% or more in single threaded apps, others say maybe 20% at best and it's not worth the upgrade. Wonder what people on this board think? Note: my 920 is not overclocked.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
The difference will be huge, about 50% most likely, there is an entire 1 Ghz difference between the two, but it is not only the clock speed that makes this a good upgrade, new architecture is employed, not only does it make it faster but also spends a lot less electricity also, 50% less, in a single-threaded apps you will see big improvement, i-4770k can be overclocked more easily since is it unlocked and if you know how to do it you can go well over 4 Ghz, my recommendation is to wait for i7-4790k which will start to sell in a few days I think, the price diff is going to be small and i'd say it is worth it, anybody who owns i7-4770k shouldnt really bother since it is not a major diff, but since you will be buying a new cpu unless the...

EagleSmart

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
The difference will be huge, about 50% most likely, there is an entire 1 Ghz difference between the two, but it is not only the clock speed that makes this a good upgrade, new architecture is employed, not only does it make it faster but also spends a lot less electricity also, 50% less, in a single-threaded apps you will see big improvement, i-4770k can be overclocked more easily since is it unlocked and if you know how to do it you can go well over 4 Ghz, my recommendation is to wait for i7-4790k which will start to sell in a few days I think, the price diff is going to be small and i'd say it is worth it, anybody who owns i7-4770k shouldnt really bother since it is not a major diff, but since you will be buying a new cpu unless the price diff between the two is big, i see no reason not to wait a few days and buy i7-4790k, hope this helps

Solution

W00dmann

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
Thanks guys, follow up question: I understand the 4770 K can overclock which is an advantage, but on the other hand, the 4770 has support for transactional memory, virtualization, and I think a few other things too. are any of the extra features in the 4770 things I may use and benefit from on a day to day basis? I'm trying to decide if the ability to overclock is more important to me then the extra features the plain old 4770 carries that the K does not.

EagleSmart

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014

It's a good question and it depends on for what will you be using you're PC, in most cases 4770K is the one to go with when asking for a better day to day performance. There are 2 extra instruction sets on 4770, the first is virtualization technology for directed I/O or VT-D, it is basically intel's technology designed to help virtual machines run better, any stronger computer can run a virtual machine or better said could become a virtual machine. Installing two or more operating systems on 1 PC using virtual machine software makes you run a virtual machine. That means that when you turn on you're PC there will be 2 or more OS running at the same time sharing CPU, RAM and everything else in you're computer case. That will slow down you're computer but some people need that for running different app on different OS-s at the same time.

VT-D helps you run virtual machine better but that doesn't mean that you can't run one without this. Not all MB support this and here's a screenshot of the ones which do.

1Y1BG4m.png

Simply said if you didn't knew about this before you don't need it. ;)

The next feature is TSX or transactional synchronization extensions which is even harder to explain. Unless you are a programmer you really won't need it. You won't see any gaming or any other day to day action performance upgrade.

There is however one more feature and it has to do with security, 4770 supports intel's trusted execution technology, again you probably won't need this unless you are under constant attack by hackers. So all 3 of these features really aren't that important to an average user. My recommendation is to buy the K version.