Under $2000 Gaming PC Recommendations Assistance

X Hatch

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
Hey I am wondering what peoples opinions and thoughts are for my ideas on building my first gaming PC. At the moment I have a list of parts all sorted out, but honestly I have a feeling that I may be going a little overboard with some of the pieces, and I would like to know what your thoughts are on this. The budget is at maximum $2000, or a reasonable $1500; but I am also in need of peripherals such as a good mouse, good keyboard, a monitor of at least 27in, and etc. But this peripherals are all costs that are on a separate undefined budget to the PC itself.

The PC will be used for gaming as a primary usage, with slight video editing and photo editing coming as other ‘power draining’ usages. I would like to try and suit my PC up for next gen gaming, but I don’t want this to come to an over expensive budget. A PC that will do excellently now, and great for years to come is my aim.

The Specs so far are:

Intel i7 4770k
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked ATX 2GB
ASUS Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750 Watt power supply
Intel 530 Series 2.5” 120GB SATA III SSD
Corsair Hydro Series H110 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler.

In adding onto that, I am not entirely 100% sure what case to get. I would like there to be enough room for a liquid cooler of at least 240mm. Honestly not really that sure on cases, I would like it to look somewhat sleek, and preferably not a very boring look. But I understand that whilst Corsair doesn’t go flashy, they are very well made. Don’t know what the whole 'fan control’ deal is; but if it’s useful then I may wish to have that. A window is always nice to have, silence is important, but I prefer it to be safely cooled than silent; however the liquid cooling may be more than enough in which case, a case, with less noise would be great. So far I am looking at:
CoolerMaster CM Storm Stryker Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540 ATX Cube Case
Corsair Graphite 600T
Corsair Obsidian 650D
Corsair Vengeance C70
Aerocool GT-S
Aerocool Strike-X Xtreme
Aerocool Syclone II
Aerocool X-Predator
I really have no idea if all of these are even compatible with motherboards or radiators. These are just ideas. But can I ask you guys what is the best option around, even if looks are somewhat excluded from the equation.

Also Hard Drives I have no clue what to look for as they all seem to be the same. I would like a good size hard drive, 2TB might be the best way to go as I know that it’s possible to get that for $100. I already have a 2TB portable hard drive, but that’s external to the PC and I wish to have a decent sized one inside the machine. Of course 7200 RPM is what I would go for, and 2TB is something I aim for.

In terms of the specs already shown, would they be at all unnecessary overpowered for running games like Battlefield 4, or even into the future of that. Just trying to save the odd hundred dollars so that if the time comes in around two or three years that I need to upgrade anything, I can have gotten a good life time out of the parts I already have. If I can minimise some of the costs so that I can get a PC that will run demanding games like Battlefield 4 at around 60FPS or above, and not something that’s super high tech that’s like 100FPS or that kind of thing. I’ve heard that the Intel i5 3570K is great for gaming, and it may save me some extra dollars, but will it last the next three years at a good performance? (also how does one super clock, and is there a substantial benefit?)

Peripherals are another budget system (kinda), and in terms of mouse I have no idea what to look at (my thoughts are the Corsair Vengeance FPS model, I’ve hears Steel series is great as well, but really I am clueless), also what type of keyboard (apparently mechanical is great, but I don’t want it to be too noisy that it might over ride my voice in game), and finally what type of monitor (I was looking at the ASUS MX279H, it’s 27in and looks good, but again I have no idea what’s best). Really with peripherals I don’t want to go overboard on keyboard and mouse, and $400 is my absolute top for a monitor, (I would prefer down in the $200 price range).

Really I’ve come to look for opinions on whether I can go lower to save some money, or whether I should invest into different aspects of the computer (i.e. less liquid cooling, more RAM). An overall experienced evaluation on what you, my peers, would suggest on how I should go about with the parts of the PC, and if there any sites that could offer me some lower costs even. I am overall looking for a computer that is well made, will handle high end games and some slight video rendering work with ease, and can last me long enough before my next upgrade. But if you can give me a bit of feedback and ideas, then that’d be super.

Kind Regards,
Cross Hatch.

Solution
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NQ7FK8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NQ7FK8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($108.58 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($208.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($335.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case...

X Hatch

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014

Well I would plan on overclocking (I know it improves performance and in the Intel i7 4770K it will double the usable threads; otherwise I don't entirely know what it is, or how to actually set it up). I just need to figure out its whole practicality in the PC, but I hear it will aid in video editing and further future-proofing it. Also it's Australian Dollars, but they are close enough; and the budget for the Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor is not really defined (goes for the PC itself as well, still aiming at under $2000), but I'd like to try and get the best bang for buck, whilst also having a decent performance. Hopefully noise isn't a big problem if I have liquid cooling, aiming for this build to last a few years before the next upgrade. Not sure if I should move up to the GTX 780, or stay down with the 770. Kinda want to know the whole deal with overclocking, because it could very well save me a hundred dollars, but I hear that it may assist in futureproofing the machine.

Basically trying to get the best bang for buck, between $1500 and $2000, with a PC that will comfortably run high end games, and can manage video editing. I also already own a mouse, but not a very good one.

iceblitzed

Distinguished
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NQ7FK8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NQ7FK8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($108.58 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($208.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($335.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($127.37 @ TigerDirect)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($94.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus MX279H 27.0" Monitor ($283.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($9.15 @ B&H)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1856.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Explanation :

CPU: 4770k is overkill so switched to i5-4690K for -$90
CPU Cooler: OK
Motherboard: Changed to a more future proof motherboard. Great quality like the ASUS Sabertooth z87 you mentioned
Memory: OK
Storage: Changed to Samsung 840 Pro 128GB which is +$15 than intel series ssd but will be more reliable in the long run
Video Card: OK
Power Supply: OK
Optical Drive: Added one in case you might need one.
Operating system: Added Windows 8.1
Monitor: OK
Keyboard: On the cheap end but should suffice. Its your typical standard keyboard. Not sure if you want something more customized.
Mouse: One of the best for gaming. Doesnt go overboard on price

Solution
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/c7Txbv
[PCPartPicker part list](http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/c7Txbv) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/c7Txbv/by_merchant/)

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/c7Txbv
Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/c7Txbv/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($409.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($219.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($97.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($415.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.00 @ CPL Online)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.00 @ CPL Online)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($23.00 @ PLE Computers)
Monitor: Asus MX279H 27.0" Monitor ($385.00 @ CPL Online)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($44.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $2008.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

ok i suggest you to do not overclocking your cpu because it will stress your hardwares for nothing , i know it improve the games performance , but if you really want to do overclocking you need to add a watercooling and it will cost you more....so?? its up to you

and other things for video editing its better with the i7 4790K then the i5 4690K , because more cores is need

and last thing is the memory ...for video editing they suggest a 16gb ram kit , so i put a 8gb kit because it going to be over your budget ...but its better with 16 gb

X Hatch

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014

Hey I like what you are saying here, and I like even more that you've managed to find it all (including peripherals) under the $2000 mark. Whilst I really like what you've pieced together, might I ask some questions as to gain insight on the matter.
Firstly, as I have heard intel will be releasing their next generation processing cores soon, would it be wisest to wait until that release, and pick up the i7 4770K since the price will have dropped, or by that time would the next generation i5 core be a more worthy cause. Because if I can wait it out and grab the i7 4770K at a low price, it might just be the best option. Also further on the CPU; is hyper-threading going to be something that I should allow for in the next 24 months to come, or is it really not that necessary in today's games. Since I believe that the i5 4970K is still a great core, will it still be able to (even if not up to the excelled performance of the i7 core) run some video editing programs (this is not long extended movies or anything professional like that, just will it be able to handle it)?

Secondly, since you believe that sticking with the H110i is still going to be a worthy action, would you then recommend superclocking the PC, to gain as much performance out of it as I can? Superclocking is really out of my understanding at the moment and I must wonder how it all is set up, and what overall boost it will give. I still think it must be good though; and the CPU cooler should be able to keep the CPU running fine.

Is the Motherboard much of a difference to the Z87 Sabertooth? I see the Sabertooth as thermal protected, dust protected, well built. But the only difference I can ultimately see between the Maximus VII Hero that you recommended, and the Z87 Sabertooth is a "TUF Protection" over the board. If the Maximus VII Hero is the way to go, then I'll probably head that way.

I hear a lot of back and forth arguments between whether I should go 16GB Ram or 8GB Ram. I know that many smaller games will run at 4GB fine, and so many high end games will run 8GB fine as well; but with there being video editing and lots of programs and the sorts, is 16GB the way to go, or really just something I can add later on at the next upgrade, as gaming will only require the 8GB, and the minimal video editing should be able to deal with 8GB. From what I know, I think 8GB will be fine for me for the first while, and it's very easy to add more later on, but just wondering as there is a hot topic on that matter.

Storage I can't really complain about, as long as I can keep my OS on the SSD and be able to boot up quickly and run some games quickly through it, and then be able to store everything else on a larger Hard Drive then I am all good with that; so thanks :)

Video Card I know the GTX 770 to be good for current day games, so I will take your word for it.

The case is too one that I thought to be well built and of good features, just wondering if air-flow will be alright for it, as I know that the Corsair Carbide Cube Case has an excellent airflow, but the Vengeance is quite well made and built for the job. But will the vengeance fit everything? It looks like it will, but I'd like to make sure it can hold the Water Cooling unit, and the graphics card. Just aside from the case, will I be able to control fan speed through the motherboard or even the case, if not then I probably won't even notice it in the first place. Just wondering on that topic.

With the Power Supply, since these are one of the first to break in a PC (along with the motherboard), should I spend the extra $50 and get a gold rated PSU or will the Bronze Corsair model be fine? This goes also for the motherboard in terms of its durability.

Optical drive, not that it matter too much, but should I go Blu Ray, or just leave it up to the online movies and TV Shows?

Operating system sounds fine, don't really know what the difference between Windoes 8.1 64 bit, or the Windows 8.1 64 bit PRO. Doubt there's a major difference, but if it will vastly improve the performance then I'll ask for its worth.

Monitor I am glad you managed to fit it under the $2000 mark, it is the one purchase I was a little bit worried about, and if you think it will hold its own as a good monitor that will work fine and not ghost too badly, then thanks.

Keyboard and Mouse are both items I can get for free (in essence). Really what I have to ask there, in what you believe is best to go for, don't worry about the budget there but try to be reasonable. Death Adder sounds great :) will go for it, and Keyboard could still use the guidance.

I think you've done a good job, and really I am not going to be using this computer "HardCore" or excessively overpowered. As long as it can run games comfortably, and can actually run a video editing program without crashing, then I am all good with it. I have a little MacBook Air that was a gift to me, and I'll be running that as like my second screen for Skype calls whilst gaming, or for Facebook or just stuff in general, but it has been able to run Video Editing programs like Final Cut Pro, not that it ran it efficiently, but it ran it. So as long as it can run Premier Pro better than a Macbook Air, then I will be grateful.

But thanks a tonne for this, if I could just get the round off reasoning for your ideas, then that'd be great :) Really want to see this computer be able to beat a computer (in performance) that costs the same amount in price.

iceblitzed

Distinguished
CPU: From what I know about next gen cpu they will be more power efficient but about the same performance. things are still changing though. I don't really know what prices will be like so I cant give a good tip on that aspect. I think they may be a good deal though from what ive seen recently with cpu pricing.
CPU Cooler: Im not much of an expert on overclocking. Can come in handy though if you need it. If you do overclock then your water cooler will do a good job at lowering temps vs a normal fan. pretty much not superclocking with a water cooler is a waste. If you dont plan on overclocking, you might as well stick with a cooler hyper evo 212.
GPU: One of the best in market today. should do u well.
motherboard: basically, z97 motherboards will be compatible with 5th gen cpus if u decide to buy one. I would highly recommend sticking with a z97 model. will be more future proof. I dont know much about the other differences between the z87 sabertooth and this z97 hero
ram: 8gb is fine. you can always upgrade in the future. has 4 total ram slots. so you can add 2 more 4gb sticks for 16gb total.
storage: -
power supply: if you can spend the extra cash for it go for it.
optical drive: blu-ray is nice to have. although most people just use netflix or something like that nowadays so not really necessary. there isnt much difference between movies in a dvd and blu-ray format (they have roughly the same video and audio quality. the average person wouldnt notice)
windows 8.1 normal vs pro -- theres no performance difference. Pro has some programs/features that IT/business people mainly use for gamers its not worth it.
mouse: is a good gaming mouse
keyboard: don't really know a good one. would need more info about what you like in a keyboard

X Hatch

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014

Hey, thanks a tonne. From what you've said it would appear as though it will all come together well. The recommendations have been enormously useful and I will definitely use your ideas for parts. Thanks a lot :)