£400/$700 First Gaming PC

lewisrlong

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Hi there. I've previously only used PCs for Football Manager/SimCity/Civilization etc along my Xbox 360 for more serious gaming. Decided to make the jump to PC now though. I've done a fair bit of research and have listed my plan at the bottom of this post. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Approximate Purchase Date: Around the next month

Budget Range: Around £400/$700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming is my priority. May be used for CAD software too

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: UK Websites, shipping is quite expensive from US.

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, I'm prefering AMD graphics.

Overclocking: Maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Moving away from console gaming. This will be my first gaming PC.

Current Idea
Intel i5 3470
Gigabyte Z77 Motherboard
Sapphire R9 270X
Corsair 8GB RAM
Corsair 600W Power Supply
WD 1TB Hard Drive

I hope I've done this right!

UPDATE: Forgot to mention. I will be using an old case I already have, as well as keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Solution
If you want to OC in the future, you should consider buying an unlocked CPU at that moment. Is not worth the effort OCing a locked CPU.
The AMD FX series CPUs are good but too old already, even when I'm an AMD fan (not fanboy level) I no longer recommend AM3+ platform.
For everyday use, gaming and video transcode your system is very good.

lewisrlong

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Thanks for the advice :) I'd considered AMD but have gone on friends recomendations to stick with Intel. Also like the idea of an SSD, but that will have to wait until more money comes in haha.

Brunostako

Honorable
If you want to OC in the future, you should consider buying an unlocked CPU at that moment. Is not worth the effort OCing a locked CPU.
The AMD FX series CPUs are good but too old already, even when I'm an AMD fan (not fanboy level) I no longer recommend AM3+ platform.
For everyday use, gaming and video transcode your system is very good.

Solution