Solved

Replacing PSU, worried other parts damaged.

I had a cheap crap PSU. It was powering up a system with an old graphics card that didn't need a 6-pin power connector. I upgraded my graphics card that did need the 6-pin power connector, and sooner or later when playing graphic intense games, I would smell a burning smell from my PSU. It was a very slight smell and I ignored it.

My computer crashed minutes later (after about an hour of gaming). I thought it was my graphics card at first, then tried again later. the smell-crash would happen sooner. I realized it was my PSU after about 4 crashes. My temperatures were fine. The highest temp was from my card at around 55-58 degrees Celsius, so I knew nothing else was overheating.

Everything still worked fine other than when playing games. I decided to take out my PSU and ordered a new one, before anything worse can happen. My question is: is there a possibility that my motherboard and/or graphics card were damaged somehow?

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138366
Graphics Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202096
PSU that fail (smells):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148027
1 answer Last reply Best Answer
More about replacing psu worried parts damaged
  1. Best answer
    If the PSU was the only thing smelling then chances are very good the rest is OK but you won't know for certain until you try the new PSU.
Ask a new question

Read More

Systems crashes PSU