Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How much electricity does my computer use?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Computers
  • Power Consumption
  • Components
  • Best Buy
Last response: in Components
Share
June 23, 2014 1:45:17 PM

My parents are complaining about the electricity bill, how it gone up a bit. I'm wondering if my computer is really the problem, its a brand new computer and I bought it from Best Buy. Can someone tell me how much watts of electricity it uses?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-zeus-mini-desk...

More about : electricity computer

a b ) Power supply
June 23, 2014 1:52:01 PM

The best way is with a Kill-A-Watt device or similar. Home Depot, Amazon, BestBuy.

Show the parents actual numbers instead of guessing.
m
0
l
June 23, 2014 1:55:39 PM

I cant give you an exact number of how much it uses.

Most of it will depend on how long your PC is running. Make sure you turn it off at nite when your not using it and when you are away during the day. Make sure you use "shutdown" and not 'sleep', or just get up and walk away.

Same goes for the rest of the parts for your system - speakers, monitor, etc. Especially the monitor, make sure its also turned off when your done using your system.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 152 ) Power supply
June 23, 2014 1:56:40 PM

As you can see here, under a GFX load that you will never see under gaming, your system will draw about 286 watts / 119 at idle from the wall,..... and their CPU uses lot more power than yours.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_r9_270x...

Let's say you spend half ya time gaming the most power hungry game on the planet and half your time just browsing the web. Average power would then be about 200 watts. So:

200 watts / 1000 watts per kw-hr x 36 hours a week x 4.3 weeks per month x $0.10 per kw-hr = $3.10 per month.

That's the average USA electric cost ...could be as high as say $0.22 on Long Island for example.

That's just the PC....monitor will add a few watts and anything else that is plugged in separately but, barring a 500 watt speaker system and such, it would be tough to break $8.50 a month even on Long Island.


m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
June 23, 2014 1:59:59 PM

Johnny Jiang said:
My parents are complaining about the electricity bill, how it gone up a bit. I'm wondering if my computer is really the problem, its a brand new computer and I bought it from Best Buy. Can someone tell me how much watts of electricity it uses?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-zeus-mini-desk...


Should be around 400-450 watts at most during heaviest use.... like 7-8, 60W light bulbs.

***Actual numbers are better than my guess attempts, for sure =)
m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
June 23, 2014 2:37:55 PM

*I found some actual numbers. Your system should use roughly:

IDLE/Light usage: 70 Watts average

Gaming: 270 Watts average

Plus the MONITOR which might be 30Watts or more (see manual)

That's based on the following articles, one about a 7700K APU system with no card, and the second based on a system with the R9-270X.

http://www.eteknix.com/complete-amd-kaveri-review-a10-7...
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_r7_260x_r9_...

So...

1) Make sure the computer is OFF, or Hibernating when not used.

2) Here's an example calculation for a week: 10 hours idle + 10 hours gaming = (10x100W) + (10x300W) = 4000Wh per week.

So that's 4KWh's (4 Kilo-Watt hours). If the price of electricty was 20 cents per kilo-Watt hour then your electricity for a month is....

$3.20

(Provided I made no mistakes, and using my estimated hours)

Update:
If you have AIR CONDITIONING running this would change the number quite a bit since it would have to work harder to remove the hot air from the computer but I don't know how much difference that would make.
Share
a c 152 ) Power supply
June 23, 2014 2:42:31 PM

He has the 270x...real actual numbers from Guru3Ds 270x article and calculations for which are in the 4th post
m
0
l
June 23, 2014 3:29:57 PM

photonboy said:
*I found some actual numbers. Your system should use roughly:

IDLE/Light usage: 70 Watts average

Gaming: 270 Watts average

Plus the MONITOR which might be 30Watts or more (see manual)

That's based on the following articles, one about a 7700K APU system with no card, and the second based on a system with the R9-270X.

http://www.eteknix.com/complete-amd-kaveri-review-a10-7...
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_r7_260x_r9_...

So...

1) Make sure the computer is OFF, or Hibernating when not used.

2) Here's an example calculation for a week: 10 hours idle + 10 hours gaming = (10x100W) + (10x300W) = 4000Wh per week.

So that's 4KWh's (4 Kilo-Watt hours). If the price of electricty was 20 cents per kilo-Watt hour then your electricity for a month is....

$3.20

(Provided I made no mistakes, and using my estimated hours)

Update:
If you have AIR CONDITIONING running this would change the number quite a bit since it would have to work harder to remove the hot air from the computer but I don't know how much difference that would make.


I live in California, I have no idea how much does the electricity cost, and my bill went up like $50, I'm sure its not my computer. Cause I have this oxygen machine that's on like most of the time for my grandma and she has medical problems. I think its mostly the machine's fault.

m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
June 23, 2014 3:38:20 PM

Johnny Jiang said:


I live in California, I have no idea how much does the electricity cost, and my bill went up like $50, I'm sure its not my computer. Cause I have this oxygen machine that's on like most of the time for my grandma and she has medical problems. I think its mostly the machine's fault.



There is no way your new PC uses $50/month.
m
0
l
June 23, 2014 3:42:27 PM

USAFRet said:
Johnny Jiang said:


I live in California, I have no idea how much does the electricity cost, and my bill went up like $50, I'm sure its not my computer. Cause I have this oxygen machine that's on like most of the time for my grandma and she has medical problems. I think its mostly the machine's fault.



There is no way your new PC uses $50/month.


I know right? Like she has the machine on for like 24/7 for oxygen. I'm sure most of the electricity usage is coming from that..

m
0
l
a c 152 ) Power supply
June 23, 2014 4:15:38 PM

Johnny Jiang said:
I live in California, I have no idea how much does the electricity cost, and my bill went up like $50, I'm sure its not my computer. Cause I have this oxygen machine that's on like most of the time for my grandma and she has medical problems. I think its mostly the machine's fault.



Go to this link and plug the number you get for your zip code and your actual hours into the formula in Post # 4 (that's for the 270x) and you will get an accurate number.

I ran an electric utility for 6 years, we bought it for like 1/2 cent per kw from Niagra Falls..... spent like 9 cents renting the transmission lines getting it downstate, used 1.5 cents to cover our budget and sold it for 11 cents a kw.
m
0
l
!