Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Issues with Computer after power outage.

Tags:
  • Power Outage
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Power
  • CPUs
  • Hardware Issue
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Components
June 23, 2014 2:53:35 PM

Hi,
We had a power outage that lasted for about 2 seconds.
When I went to power on the comp nothing happened.
The power onboard PWR LED on the MOBO is lit solid.
I pressed the power button and the case fan lit up and spun for 1 second then nothing.
I removed the GFX card, WIFI card, Capture Card. Unplugged all cables from the HD and DVD drive. I removed the MEM stick also.
All that is still plugged in is the front panel header for the HD and PWR leds, front usb header.
I pressed the PWR button again and nothing happened. I expected at least some beeps from the onboard SPKR.
Below are the specs:
ASUS P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 Chipset LGA 1155 MB
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3Ghz Unlocked LGA1155 CPU
ULTRA LSP750 750W ATX POWER SUPPLY

The power supply is the cheapest to replace first, followed by the MOBO, with the CPU being the most expensive.

If the power supply is not the issue, is it possible to get the same MOBO with a different INTEL CPU and NOT have to reinstall windows and all my installed software?

Thanks in advance for any help/thoughts!
Adam

More about : issues computer power outage

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2014 3:15:01 PM

Might be the PSU. Try unplugging it and holding the power button to clear out the power. The light should go off then. Plug it back in and try again.

Do you use a surge protecting power strip or a UPS?
m
0
l
a c 101 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2014 6:01:18 PM

You won't know if anything else is bad until you replace the PSU. I highly recommend that you do NOT replace with another Ultra (anything) model. Note Tier 5 in the two attached links. Ultra LSP is a very poor psu.
https://community.newegg.com/eggxpert/computer_hardware...
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804779/power-su...
Refer to the list and you can find the most dependable PSU's. I would pick from Tiers 1, 2, 2b.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 25, 2014 11:14:26 AM

itsVance said:
Might be the PSU. Try unplugging it and holding the power button to clear out the power. The light should go off then. Plug it back in and try again.

Do you use a surge protecting power strip or a UPS?


I had tried your solution to no avail. No, the computer is not on a surge/UPS.

Thanks,
Adam
m
0
l
June 25, 2014 11:15:52 AM

nostall said:
You won't know if anything else is bad until you replace the PSU. I highly recommend that you do NOT replace with another Ultra (anything) model. Note Tier 5 in the two attached links. Ultra LSP is a very poor psu.
https://community.newegg.com/eggxpert/computer_hardware...
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804779/power-su...
Refer to the list and you can find the most dependable PSU's. I would pick from Tiers 1, 2, 2b.


Nostall,

I will check out the link(s) and choose from one of the tiers you listed.

Thanks!
Adam
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2014 12:03:17 PM

pudland said:
itsVance said:
Might be the PSU. Try unplugging it and holding the power button to clear out the power. The light should go off then. Plug it back in and try again.

Do you use a surge protecting power strip or a UPS?


I had tried your solution to no avail. No, the computer is not on a surge/UPS.

Thanks,
Adam


It was more of a step than a solution. When you plugged it back in after clearing out the power, did the motherboards power light come back on?
m
0
l
June 25, 2014 12:58:01 PM

itsVance said:
pudland said:
itsVance said:
Might be the PSU. Try unplugging it and holding the power button to clear out the power. The light should go off then. Plug it back in and try again.

Do you use a surge protecting power strip or a UPS?


I had tried your solution to no avail. No, the computer is not on a surge/UPS.

Thanks,
Adam


It was more of a step than a solution. When you plugged it back in after clearing out the power, did the motherboards power light come back on?


itsVance,

Yes, the motherboard power light came on as soon as I turned the power supply switch to the "ON" position. When I pressed the power button, the case fan lit up and spun for 1 second then nothing. The motherboard and front panel header are the only things still plugged in. All other hardware is still removed from the motherboard.

Thanks,
Adam
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2014 1:20:26 PM

Some PSU's may require a load to power on. Try testing it with the computer assembled. You can always get a known good PSU and test it out if it does not come on.

To answer the question about windows, you can call Microsoft and they will more than likely work with you on reactivating windows on a different motherboard if you explain the situation.
m
0
l
June 25, 2014 1:44:34 PM

itsVance said:
Some PSU's may require a load to power on. Try testing it with the computer assembled. You can always get a known good PSU and test it out if it does not come on.

To answer the question about windows, you can call Microsoft and they will more than likely work with you on reactivating windows on a different motherboard if you explain the situation.


No Go on the loaded power-up. Same issue. I'm looking for a replacement power supply per the post from "nostall".

I am looking at a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... as a replacement.

Thanks,
Adam
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 101 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2014 8:07:13 PM

pudland said:
itsVance said:
Some PSU's may require a load to power on. Try testing it with the computer assembled. You can always get a known good PSU and test it out if it does not come on.

To answer the question about windows, you can call Microsoft and they will more than likely work with you on reactivating windows on a different motherboard if you explain the situation.


No Go on the loaded power-up. Same issue. I'm looking for a replacement power supply per the post from "nostall".

I am looking at a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... as a replacement.

Thanks,
Adam


Excellent unit, excellent price
Here's a Johnny Guru review of the little brother 650:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
Go for it.
Share
a c 101 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2014 4:32:24 PM

pudland said:
I went with the PSU below.
Fired right up!
Thanjs to everyone for the replies and help!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks!
Adam


Excellent choice, pudland. HX is a very good model. Glad everything else is o.k.
m
0
l