Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

AMD CPU vs. AMD APU vs. Intel CPU

Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2014 4:38:04 PM

Hello all, I've been looking into building a gaming PC here pretty soon, and have been stuck on what processor to get for quite some time. There are many factors influencing my decision, so I'd like to get the best "bang for my buck" if you will as my budget is limited.

I don't want to spend a fortune on a processor, sub $100 would be nice, as that's already approximately 1/4th of my budget gone on one component alone. Basically, the lower the price, the better.

I've been looking and I found some great value by AMD, the A6-6400K seems like a decent APU for the money, and given that it uses the FM2 socket, and there are dual FM2/FM2+ socket motherboards, I feel as though this would be a good way to start out, and upgrade to a better processor in the future. (AMD seems to be sticking to the APU/FM2+ architecture from here on out) I believe the price of these chips has recently gone down thanks to the release of AMD's new APU's a short while ago. That being said, I'd still go with a discrete graphics card, as integrated is just not going to cut it.

Then there's the option of going with AMD's CPU lineup, but unfortunately, I think AM3+ may be a dead socket. There's been no news regarding a new lineup and their newest processors are over a year old now. Upgrade-ability and future-proofing (within reason) is something I'm trying to go for here. Even so, you can get a Quad or Hexa core processor for less than what Intel charges for their lowest i3 CPU.

Now for Intel's lineup, unfortunately, their processors are just more expensive, no other way around it. I wanted to look into the $60 range just for comparison purposes (as that's what the 6400K is going for) and the pickings were slim, about 2 Pentiums dip down into that lower section and the rest are Celerons. Forget about any "i" series CPU's unless you want one that's already 5 years old (no thanks). You'd be hard pressed to get me to use a Celeron, I've used them before on other's computers and they crawl, and even the higher-clocked dual-cores just do not have that "snappy" response time, and I feel it would lack the necessary power even for lower-class gaming. That leaves the Pentium line-up, Specifically, the only one for $60 I could find was the Pentium G3220. (Dual-Core 3.0GHz)

So, overall, I'd appreciate others insight into all of this, as the more I research, the more I'm really unsure of what's the best deal, or the soundest upgradeable option for the future.

Apologies for such a long post as well.
a c 153 À AMD
a c 803 à CPUs
a b å Intel
June 23, 2014 4:43:17 PM

What is your budget for this build? Personally, I would go with this to start with. The A6's are horrible gaming chips.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($48.38 @ Newegg)
Total: $167.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available



If that is too much, you can go with the new Pentium 3258, which can be overclocked.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($48.38 @ Newegg)
Total: $123.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2014 4:51:18 PM

logainofhades said:
What is your budget for this build? Personally, I would go with this to start with. The A6's are horrible gaming chips.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($48.38 @ Newegg)
Total: $167.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available



If that is too much, you can go with the new Pentium 3258, which can be overclocked.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($48.38 @ Newegg)
Total: $123.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available



My budget is about $400. I already own Windows, so this is for the hardware alone. I also like to keep my shopping to Amazon, I'm aware of PCPartsPicker and their deals, I even use it myself to recommend builds for others, but I'd like to keep my first build purchase to one website and I've always had great service from Amazon.
m
0
l
a c 153 À AMD
a c 803 à CPUs
a b å Intel
June 23, 2014 4:54:20 PM

You are shooting yourself in the foot only ordering from Amazon. Newegg is an excellent source and superbiiz I have ordered from before as well. No offense, but being picky is not a luxury you really have with that budget.
m
1
l
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2014 5:01:48 PM

logainofhades said:
You are shooting yourself in the foot only ordering from Amazon. Newegg is an excellent source and superbiiz I have ordered from before as well.


Considering Amazon has that i3 for another $1 and that Pentium for $2 less, I find that a little hard to believe. ;)  Even so, I'm aware other websites have other promotions and often more hardware-orientated deals, as Amazon does everything, not just computer components.
m
0
l
a c 153 À AMD
a c 803 à CPUs
a b å Intel
June 23, 2014 5:05:53 PM

You apparently do not know hardware then. The board I chose, Amazon does not seem to have. It is the only H81 board that you can get, currently, that has the ability to overclock that Pentium. You are going to get inferior parts, or more expensive ones, elsewhere going with just Amazon.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($48.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 260X 1GB Core Edition Video Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $408.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available





m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2014 5:07:45 PM

pigsinspace72 said:
Looks like you've done some research. Have you considered the Pentium 20th anniversary cpu? Toms hardware did some benchmarks on it http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overc...
The apu line does seem like a good processor for your budget as well and here are some benchmarks worth looking at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-7850k-a8-7600-k... which will show you the power of the APU.


The 20th Anniversary Pentium seems like a nice little CPU for $75 and I will look into it. However, I'm unsure of how expensive a matching motherboard would be.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2014 5:12:20 PM

The AMD A8-6600K APU is the best option for under $100.00. It rates much higher in the benchmarks than the A6-6400K

These are your options for under $100.00 but the A8-6600K is the best of all.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

You can compare the best ones from the Newegg selection, among AMD FX, A Series APU and Intel Pentium G series
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-5600K+AP...
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-6600K+AP...
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-4130+Qua...
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+G...

BTW: The Pentium G3220 is even lower than the G2140.. therefore the lower price.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+G...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2014 5:21:51 PM

Chicano said:
The AMD A8-6600K APU is the best option for under $100.00. It rates much higher in the benchmarks than the A6-6400K

These are your options for under $100.00 but the A8-6600K is the best of all.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

You can compare the best ones from the Newegg selection, among AMD FX, A Series APU and Intel Pentium G series
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-5600K+AP...
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-6600K+AP...
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-4130+Qua...
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+G...

BTW: The Pentium G3220 is even lower than the G2140.. therefore the lower price.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+G...


Appreciate the links and information. The G3258 seems like a good option for my needs and barely pushes me over the $400 threshold as far as the build I've been working on goes. I understand $400 is a pitiful amount for a gaming computer, but even using the cheapest mobo and a $75 processor, it's over by about $25. This may be due to the graphics card (it honestly probably is) but I'm not going any lower than an R9 270. The R7 series doesn't cut it and the cheapest R9 I've seen is about $110.

Still, the A8 is tempting considering the benchmarks, I just don't know how I could manage to squeeze it into budget.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2014 5:31:38 PM

logainofhades said:
You apparently do not know hardware then. The board I chose, Amazon does not seem to have. It is the only H81 board that you can get, currently, that has the ability to overclock that Pentium. You are going to get inferior parts, or more expensive ones, elsewhere going with just Amazon.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($48.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 260X 1GB Core Edition Video Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $408.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available





Found it on Amazon. $42.99. http://www.amazon.com/ASRock-Motherboard-Motherboards-H...
m
0
l
a c 153 À AMD
a c 803 à CPUs
a b å Intel
June 23, 2014 5:34:09 PM

Good find, guess PCpartpicker and Amazon not getting along too well today. :lol: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2014 5:39:48 PM

logainofhades said:
Good find, guess PCpartpicker and Amazon not getting along too well today. :lol: 


Yeah, I've found that's a recoccurring issue with PcPartsPicker...

Here's the build I have so far, modified for the new MOBO and CPU.

CPU: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KPRWAZQ/ref=ox_sc_a...
MOBO: http://www.amazon.com/ASRock-Motherboard-Motherboards-H...
RAM: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WAGGUK/ref=ox_sc_a...
CASE: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LIDU5S/ref=ox_sc_a...
OPTICAL DRIVE: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUAFAF6/ref=ox_sc_a...
HARD DRIVE: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6A8VFY/ref=ox_sc_a...
PSU http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JGUR84Q/ref=ox_sc_a...
GPU: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GNE0CHI/ref=ox_sc_a...

Total: $423.89 (Including S&H)
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 153 À AMD
a c 803 à CPUs
a b å Intel
June 23, 2014 5:45:50 PM

I would go with that Asrock board. You cannot overclock that 3258 with any other H81 board, currently. Normally you need a Z87/Z97 board, but Asrock added overclocking ability to some of its cheaper boards. Sentey PSU's are junk. Go with this one at the very least. http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-80PLUS-Certified-ATX12V-100-...

I would go with this R9 270. Gigabyte, for whatever reason, doesn't make very good GPU's compared to other companies.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Version-PCI-Express-Grap...

Everything else is fine for what budget you have.

Edit* you can get a 1tb for same or less than that 500gb hdd.

For example
http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-HUA721010KLA330-HITACHI/d...
Share
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2014 5:56:28 PM

logainofhades said:
I would go with that Asrock board. You cannot overclock that 3258 with any other H81 board, currently. Normally you need a Z87/Z97 board, but Asrock added overclocking ability to some of its cheaper boards. Sentey PSU's are junk. Go with this one at the very least. http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-80PLUS-Certified-ATX12V-100-...

I would go with this R9 270. Gigabyte, for whatever reason, doesn't make very good GPU's compared to other companies.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Version-PCI-Express-Grap...

Everything else is fine for what budget you have.


Is 500W enough for the R9 and overclocking? I liked the Sentey because it was 600W and cheap, but also because it had really solid reviews. Then again, I'd rather a PSU that didn't explode when I plugged it in.

That Sapphire is WAY over budget though. Gigabyte seems the only R9 in range, I might have to risk it.

Edit: Appreciate the Hitachi find, will definitely go with that instead.

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2014 12:02:59 PM

logainofhades said:
Unless you are seeing prices different from me, the sapphire is $22 cheaper than the Gigabyte. I meant to link the Evga 600b.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-80PLUS-Bronze-Certified-100-...


Indeed we were seeing different prices, I must have been looking at new instead of used.
m
0
l
June 24, 2014 12:08:52 PM

I would avoid newegg as of now, the customer service is going down the toilet and lately they have had a MOBO scam going on.
m
0
l
!