Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Laptop turns off after a few seconds of power, need help!

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
Share
June 23, 2014 5:12:22 PM

Hey guys, my co worker brought his laptop in and explained to me how it happened, he was watching a movie from his laptop connected to his tv. he then pulled the cord out from the laptop and the laptop shut off.

he tested it with and without the battery (plugged in charging) and that didn't fix anything. I'm thinking to check the RAM but wondering what you guys would recommend.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P855-S5102 only a year and 1 month old, warranty expired after his 1 year, so last month.
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2014 6:00:49 PM

what cord got pulled out? If it was the AC Adapter then he may have damaged the DC Connector inside the PC. The good thing about toshiba is that they don't soilder their's to the motherboard. Its connect to the motherboard via a removable cable.

If that isn't the issue then again how was it connected and what cord got yanked out?
m
0
l
June 23, 2014 6:29:51 PM

He said it was connected via usb cord. Usb connected from laptop to tv
m
0
l
Related resources
June 23, 2014 6:37:55 PM

drtweak said:
what cord got pulled out? If it was the AC Adapter then he may have damaged the DC Connector inside the PC. The good thing about toshiba is that they don't soilder their's to the motherboard. Its connect to the motherboard via a removable cable.

If that isn't the issue then again how was it connected and what cord got yanked out?


I also did this

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-596611-toshiba-lapto...

and nothing worked yet. Not sure if this has a CMOS battery accessible withing using a hammer.. but unplugged the HD and same reaction, I did everything I possibly could to my knowledge (not saying I know it all but I've been doing this for 7 years or so) I can't think of anything else. The battery holds it's charge as confirmed and with the battery out and charging cable plugged in it reacts the same way. Power button is lit and then 2-3 seconds it turns off
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2014 6:40:33 PM

Yea i think the CMOS battery on those might be under the Keyboard. Can't remember. I've taken apart quite a few of them (Bad hard drive's, cheap keyboards, busted screens) They are just cheap. Toshiba use to be such a great brand now they are just crap.

But thats odd how just from a USB getting yanked out would do that. i wounder if it shorted something out maybe when the USB got yanked out but i doubt that. I would try to get to the CMOS battery first.
m
0
l
June 23, 2014 6:55:08 PM

drtweak said:
Yea i think the CMOS battery on those might be under the Keyboard. Can't remember. I've taken apart quite a few of them (Bad hard drive's, cheap keyboards, busted screens) They are just cheap. Toshiba use to be such a great brand now they are just crap.

But thats odd how just from a USB getting yanked out would do that. i wounder if it shorted something out maybe when the USB got yanked out but i doubt that. I would try to get to the CMOS battery first.



Thats what I'm saying, its so odd that it would happen after a usb would be tugged out. I'm trying to get to the CMOS battery but it's like finding the lost city of Atlantis. I got under the keyboard and nothing, now got to dig deeper. The plastic is so thin, cheap, and so soft that anything that touches it leaves a mark. Hope he doesn't get mad haha
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2014 7:05:55 PM

hahaha yea they are cheap plastic. most of the time any plastic clips almost always break.
m
0
l
June 23, 2014 7:46:55 PM

drtweak said:
hahaha yea they are cheap plastic. most of the time any plastic clips almost always break.


I can honestly say without beating it with a hammer, I was unable to get more than half way into the keyboard area. once it hits the letters the sides of it won't budge and there is no way of opening it and no tabs of screw left to unscrew. I'd hate to tell this guy "buy a new one" but I'm running out of options. I can't think of anything else
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2014 7:49:56 PM

yea this usb thing just sounds iffy to me. the USB port isn't damaged at all is it?
m
0
l
June 23, 2014 7:54:14 PM

drtweak said:
yea this usb thing just sounds iffy to me. the USB port isn't damaged at all is it?


Not at all, nothing looked damaged or even tampered with at all. (now it does) but I've tried everything I could think of and it looks like the cmos is soldered to the motherboard (blue looking battery) So I hate to say it but is this just dead?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2014 7:55:43 PM

you should be able to get that battery out. its probably just suck on there with some double sided tape.

But idk it might be. I could tell ya more if i had it in front of me and apart lol. I at least some some parts to swap out and test.

If you take all the ram out, and turn it on. Does it do the same or does it beep at you?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2014 8:09:58 PM

hahaha yea I feel ya! IDK might just want to bight the bullet and get a Dell next time and not some cheap 300 dollar laptop!
m
0
l
June 23, 2014 10:44:18 PM

Well it's final, motherboard is fried. No POST. even the fan doesn't move, not even a small jerk. No lights (other then the charging light)
m
0
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
June 24, 2014 9:50:31 AM

XD RIP Cheap Toshiba...
Share
!