i7-4790 Ideal Sustained Temperature

MushyForest

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else. I have looked quite a bit but haven't found an answer I have liked.

I recently just built a new computer with an i7-4790. I am using the stock cooler and was wondering the max sustained temperature for it.

The Tcase temperature on intel's website is 72 C. Is that pretty much the max temperature I can leave it?

I am just a little worried about overheating and any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Average Idle Temperature: 40 C
Average Working Temperature: 65-75 C

Note: I do realize there are better ways to cool my CPU, I am just looking for answers about using the stock cooler.

Solution
Your temperatures are fine. Intel stock heat sink and fans suck but they won't kill the processor. At least not at stock frequencies and voltage. Just upgrade the CPU cooler when you get a chance. Practically any air cooler $20 or higher from a good brand will out perform the Intel stock and do it quietly. And for more detailed information, read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

"
Summary:

* Don't expect BIOS or CPU temperature to be accurate.
* 80C sustained Core temperature is too hot.
* 22C is Standard Ambient temperature.
* Ambient directly affects all computer temperatures.
* Excessive Vcore and temperatures accelerate electromigration.
* Prime95 Small FFT's is the standard for...

anthony8989

Distinguished
Your temperatures are fine. Intel stock heat sink and fans suck but they won't kill the processor. At least not at stock frequencies and voltage. Just upgrade the CPU cooler when you get a chance. Practically any air cooler $20 or higher from a good brand will out perform the Intel stock and do it quietly. And for more detailed information, read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

"
Summary:

* Don't expect BIOS or CPU temperature to be accurate.
* 80C sustained Core temperature is too hot.
* 22C is Standard Ambient temperature.
* Ambient directly affects all computer temperatures.
* Excessive Vcore and temperatures accelerate electromigration.
* Prime95 Small FFT's is the standard for Thermal Testing.
* Core temperature sensors are more accurate at high temperatures.
* Sensor movement can be tested with Real Temp.
* No temperatures can be equal to or less than Ambient.
* Don't expect Idle temperatures to be accurate. "

Solution

Powerbolt

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
As long as you're under 80c sustained at max load, I think you'll be just fine. Those Intel chips are pretty durable for the most part. As long as you're running the CPU at it's factory settings the stock cooler should suffice. They wouldn't ship them out if they knew it wasn't going to work well enough.

Powerbolt

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

Don't flatter yourself. You simply posted before I got done goofing around and posting my $0.02 worth.

8465700.jpg