Is this ok for the i7 4790 haswell refresh.

schoolies

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hi everyone, i recently built my own computer and i am not sure if the CPU is getting too hot.
My cpu idles at 38~42 celcius, and on extreme tuning utility stress test benchmark, it goes around 79~84 celcius... Is this too hot? Should i reseat the heatsink?

also its the stock heat sink.

And its currently winter where i live so my room is 18 celsius.

Solution
If ambient is 18C then at normal use 32c is high. Pl follow the steps mentioned in my above post regarding HSF and then check if the temps are lowered.

Icaraeus

Honorable
Idle is definitely way too hot. It should range from 10-30 degrees, normally around 20 degrees. Additionally, CPU temperatures shouldn't exceed 70 degrees. If you overclocked your CPU then reset it. If not, you'll either need to replace the thermal paste or the heat sink (or both).

You are using non-k series CPU. Temps on load are getting on high side but that is on stress test. Stress test ran for how much time? What temps do you get while playing or doing graphics intensive task? Which software you are using to record temps? What are the temps readings in the BIOS?

schoolies

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

The stress test went for 5mins,,, i just checked temp in bios, 40 Celsius.. while playing WoW, on ultra it ranges 48~60 celsius. depending on activities im doing in-game.
what is the typical temp range you expect from a stock cooler?

Edit: yes its non k series, and no overclocks.

What are your ambient temps?
48-60 is a good value. No issue there. Don't run stress test if you are not overclocking and being it a non-k CPU. Keep a tab on CPU temps. If they started to hike towards 70ish+ then consider these options: -

Remove the HSF. Clean the residue off the surface of CPU and HSF. Clean the fan on HSF. Apply thermal paste like arctic silver and then install HSF again. If that lowers the temps then you are ok. Else replace the stock cooler with the aftermarket cooler that is cheap.

schoolies

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

Ok thanks alot for the quick response too.
Any suggestions of some cheap after-market heatsinks out there?
umm ambient temps? sorry? my cpu currently with just chrome open, is at 32 celsius (1.00 ghz frequency).