Amd 6300
Asus M5A97 R2.0
Corsair Vengence 2 x 4gb sticks
Gigabyte R9 280x windforce
antec 620 watt PSU
Kingston hyper X 120gb SSD
WD 1 Tb HDD
Coolmaster vortex plus

i was playing BF4 and it would all of a sudden crash my whole computer, would cut power and i would have to turn the switch off at the back and re-boot so i downloaded CORETEMP and tested it while playing BF4 and it was getting up to 86c and around that area it would shut down.
i have read thats way to hot does that mean i would need a large and better cpu heatsink or can i be that the thermal paste has not been applied correctly?
thanks

Solution
You definitely need to make sure that this cooler is installed correctly. I have once seen a friend of mine install a CPU cooler without removing the protective foil at the bottom, so if your cooler has one, remove it, reapply the paste and reseat everything.

However, even the best CPU cooler cannot do much if the airflow in your case is bad and components are hot. If the first suggestion does not resolve the issue, try running the computer with side panel of the case removed. Monitor the temps at all times.

EDIT: Yes, your CPU should shut down but make sure you set this is BIOS to lower temp than 80 degrees C, this is extremely high for this CPU, it is designed for max 65 degrees C (long-term).

KNERVYY

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
I bought an after market cool when i built it. http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/vortex-series/vortex-plus/ i don't think it is a very good one though so wondering if i should go for a better cooler or even water cooling? i don't have a huge case that's my only problem.

dddingggiii

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
For a six core cpu the vortex wold probably struggle - How about a cooler master Hyper 212??? Its very popular for its cheap and performs well...check out some reviews theres a load out there

You definitely need to make sure that this cooler is installed correctly. I have once seen a friend of mine install a CPU cooler without removing the protective foil at the bottom, so if your cooler has one, remove it, reapply the paste and reseat everything.

However, even the best CPU cooler cannot do much if the airflow in your case is bad and components are hot. If the first suggestion does not resolve the issue, try running the computer with side panel of the case removed. Monitor the temps at all times.

EDIT: Yes, your CPU should shut down but make sure you set this is BIOS to lower temp than 80 degrees C, this is extremely high for this CPU, it is designed for max 65 degrees C (long-term).

Solution

KNERVYY

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
Yeah will have to take it off and have a look. hopefully i haven't done that!! i have a 120mm in the front a 120mm in the back and a 120mm in the side panel. but i will give those few things a try and see how it all goes. and let you guys know. Thanks for the input appreciate it guys.