r9 290 overkill for 1080p single monitor?

G

A certain store is selling R9 290 40usd cheaper than a gtx 770. I play at 1080p single monitor, would it be overkill for today's games at 1080p?

Solution
290 will be great for running today's and tomorrow's games and will serve you even if you upgrade to a higher res.

But if it's a stock cooled 290 make sure that you can deal with the heat and noise. It was too much for me (even with MSI's twinfrozr cooler) but you might be fine.

sajitha wewegama

Distinguished
May 6, 2014

Depending on what games , settings of games you want to play and the processor you will pair it up with,if you give me the details I could give my opinion on it.

drkatz42

Honorable

If it's in your price range then I say go for it! It will play "today's" games spectacularly and then you will be ready for "tomorrow's" games. :D

Optimus_Toaster

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
290 will be great for running today's and tomorrow's games and will serve you even if you upgrade to a higher res.

But if it's a stock cooled 290 make sure that you can deal with the heat and noise. It was too much for me (even with MSI's twinfrozr cooler) but you might be fine.

Solution
G

I play at ultra, visuals are really important for me. I'm just worried that it might be too much since I don't plan on having triple monitor setup cause I don't see the benefit. I will pair it with an i5 ivy bridge.