Is this $750-800USD gaming build worth it?

xJ3rian

Honorable
Apr 26, 2014
Hello,

I live in China, and I'm trying to build myself a gaming/editing desktop. I am not looking to play every game on ultra/high settings but able to keep my FPS at 60 and above, and a good rendering speed. My current build I proposed to the shops is:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ??? (Will ask if they could include one free of charge)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: 2x4GB RAM DDR-1600
Storage: WD 7200RPM 64MB cache 1TB
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card
PSU: 550W
2 to 4 120mm fans, depending on the case they provide
Display: 22' Screen 1920x1080

The lowest price I got from the shops was 4800RMB, the equivalent of $770USD, 570 Euros, $827CAD. Seeing as that each shop is competing against each other, I might still have a chance to lower the price.

Is this build worth it? Or should I change some parts?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
If you're building your own pc, then just buy all the parts online from the cheapest retailer, you will save a lot of money and actually get to pick all the parts (you said the case "they" provide?).
Anyway, as for the build, it looks pretty good overall, but supply more info, so tell us exactly what power supply you're getting, instead of just "550w", and YOU should be the one picking the case, not some random shop who will just give you the shittiest, cheapest case they can.
You really shouldn't be cheaping out on the power supply, which I assume you're doing since you don't mention a brand. A good 550w psu should cost you around $80-$90, good brands are: OCZ, Corsair, XFX, Cooler master, Be quiet, there are a few others.
Also, to...

moozilbee

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
If you're building your own pc, then just buy all the parts online from the cheapest retailer, you will save a lot of money and actually get to pick all the parts (you said the case "they" provide?).
Anyway, as for the build, it looks pretty good overall, but supply more info, so tell us exactly what power supply you're getting, instead of just "550w", and YOU should be the one picking the case, not some random shop who will just give you the shittiest, cheapest case they can.
You really shouldn't be cheaping out on the power supply, which I assume you're doing since you don't mention a brand. A good 550w psu should cost you around $80-$90, good brands are: OCZ, Corsair, XFX, Cooler master, Be quiet, there are a few others.
Also, to save money, a fx 8320 is overkill for your build, a fx 6300 would be a much better option.
Hard drive wise, you can either stick with your current drive or pay a little more and get a faster hybrid drive.

Tell us what ram you're getting, rather than just 2x4gb 1600mhz (ddr - ?), and what monitor you're getting. Telling somebody that you're getting 8gb of ram and asking whether it is good is the same as telling somebody you're getting "a nice car" and asking whether it's good, without actually telling them anything about the car.

Other than that, it looks fine.

Solution

xJ3rian

Honorable
Apr 26, 2014
For the Memory, it depends from shop to shop, but it's probably going to be Kingston.
For the Case, same for the memory, depends from shop to shop, first shop mentioned one of the ATX's, since they're rather cheap, will probably get a better quality instead of their basic ones
For the monitor, it's a chinese brand called "MEION", but it's not a big deal, since the Samsung's and Phillips monitors were overpriced
For the PSU, I'll ask for one of the better brands as you mentioned, is Bronze/Silver/Gold/etc. recommended?

For the FX8320, is the FX 6300 enough for a fast rendering speed and is it future proof? As I might upgrade in next few years. Since I considered it in my build, they told it was around $30USD difference between the two, is it worth it?

For shopping online, some parts are cheaper here in China, while some others are more expensive, but I've had numerous problems with customs when I ordered some books from overseas, and shipping is also a big issue, as time is imprecise.

For the HDD, I might buy a SSD later.

moozilbee

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Kingston is a good brand, just avoid their value ram

For the case, the main thing that matters is features and looks (unless you don't care about the look). It's entirely up to you what case you get and how much money to spend on it, you probably want to spend about $70 - $140 on a case, you could choose to spend lots of money and get a very nice looking case with lots of features such as usb 3.0 ports, cable management, etc, or you could get a cheaper case with less features, all that matters is that your hardware will fit, and if you use pcpartpicker it will give you info on wether or not it will fit your hardware.

I would recommend getting bronze for the PSU, a PSU at the price I suggested should be bronze.

CPU wise, the FX 8320 and FX 6300 are pretty much the same, except the 8320 has 8 cores instead of 6. For games this will make no difference, since most games use 2 or 4 cores anyway, for editing software, it depends on the software, but I doubt it will be entirely worth paying for the extra 2 cores, 6 cores is already a lot.

HDD wise, I would still recommend a mechanical drive, shouldn't be much more than $20-30 more, and from the reviews I've read of Hybrids they're a fair bit faster than a mechanical drive. Even if you plan on getting an SSD, you will probably still need to have a hard drive + the ssd, the ssd would be used to store all of your most used files/games/software + OS, and the other hard drive would be used to store the rest of your stuff, big ssds are VERY expensive, so this is usually what people do nowadays, and a hybrid drive is pretty much the same as a regular hdd except faster.