Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PSU Cable Confusion

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Computers
  • Cable
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
June 24, 2014 11:42:56 AM

I'm setting up my first computer, and I'm currently working on cables. I have a XFX XTR 750W PSU and an Asus Z-87 Pro mobo, and I can't figure out how to plug in all the psu cables. I'm sorry I'm such a newb, but could I get some info please?

More about : psu cable confusion

a b ) Power supply
June 24, 2014 11:53:16 AM

There are only two cables that will connect to the motherboad. The Motherboard 20+4 cable and the EPX 12v 8-pin (or ATX12V 4+4 pin) for CPU power. The other cables are for graphic cards, optical drives, hard drives, SSD, etc...

-Wolf sends
m
0
l
Related resources
June 24, 2014 12:02:48 PM

13575406,0,74812 said:
There are only two cables that will connect to the motherboad. The Motherboard 20+4 cable and the EPX 12v 8-pin (or ATX12V 4+4 pin) for CPU power. The other cables are for graphic cards, optical drives, hard drives, SSD, etc...

-Wolf sends[/quotemsg]

I connected the 24 pin to the mobo, pretty easy, however on the end of the 24 pin cable it branches into two ends and the only place on the psu where it fits has a description if mvb if that means anything. How should I plug this in?
m
0
l
a c 134 ) Power supply
June 24, 2014 12:06:53 PM

No; it says M/B which stands for motherboard. You plug them both in.
m
1
l
June 24, 2014 12:58:08 PM

ksham said:
No; it says M/B which stands for motherboard. You plug them both in.


So, I plugged both of the cables into the MB section and. they fit, just not all the way. Should I force them in?
m
0
l
a c 134 ) Power supply
June 24, 2014 1:05:29 PM

It does require a bit of force to push them in. But please do not overdo it. As long as they are tightly in there and secured and won't fall out, it should be good.

Do you have a picture of the cables connecting to the power supply? Easy to someone to verify visually.
m
0
l
June 24, 2014 1:14:14 PM

ksham said:
It does require a bit of force to push them in. But please do not overdo it. As long as they are tightly in there and secured and won't fall out, it should be good.

Do you have a picture of the cables connecting to the power supply? Easy to someone to verify visually.


Here's a picture. The far top and far bottom are connected to the same cable, one that eventually leads to the 24 pin.
http://imgur.com/jh41aGm
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 134 ) Power supply
June 24, 2014 1:31:10 PM

Yep; those cables are in there. The cable doesn't go all the way in such that you only see the wire coming out of the PSU.

It's like an AC outlet plug. Just make sure the male prongs (bad terminology) are plugged into the female, it's good. Again, sorry for the bad terminology.
Share
June 24, 2014 1:37:58 PM

ksham said:
Yep; those cables are in there. The cable doesn't go all the way in such that you only see the wire coming out of the PSU.

It's like an AC outlet plug. Just make sure the male prongs (bad terminology) are plugged into the female, it's good. Again, sorry for the bad terminology.


Final question: when I plug the PSU into my graphics card, I have two cables I need to plug into my PSU. That's fine right?
m
0
l
a c 134 ) Power supply
June 24, 2014 1:41:57 PM

You didn't mention what your graphics card is, so I will say this:

If your graphics card requires TWO supplementary PCIe power connectors, then yes, you will have two cables plugged into your PSU for it.
m
0
l
June 24, 2014 1:45:24 PM

ksham said:
You didn't mention what your graphics card is, so I will say this:

If your graphics card requires TWO supplementary PCIe power connectors, then yes, you will have two cables plugged into your PSU for it.


Thanks so much!!
m
0
l
!