Is 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM interchangeable with 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM?

Solution

Probably close to none. FB-DIMMs are only used by a small number of now EOL server chipsets. FBDIMMs aren't something that are found in your friendly neighbourhood computer store.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

Probably close to none. FB-DIMMs are only used by a small number of now EOL server chipsets. FBDIMMs aren't something that are found in your friendly neighbourhood computer store.

Solution

The fbdimms were common for ddr2 in workstation builds. I had a dual Xeon board for my architecture school self build. Dell had a few over the years along with evga making the sr9x or classified boards. Definitely not mainstream though.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

I meant folks like me that saw them on Newegg and didn't realize there was a difference. They are sold right next to the SDRAMs with no explanation of the difference. DDR2 is DDR2 to some of us newbies.

They are DDR2 SDRAM so placing them there would be appropriate. They are not DDR2 DIMMs though, and have a different electrical interface.

I see your point though, I didn't think about online retailers.

You would think they would move the FB-Dimms or ECC memory fully into the server parts section. I guess it depends how you search for the parts. Not like you see a e3 xeon in the desktop parts section, even though they would work in the socket.

I see your point. You may wish to send them some feedback about that.