R9 280 Black screen

GaryOakFJ

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
About an hour ago, I finished building my 1st Desktop PC. after some minor DVD drive troubles, everything worked smoothly, and windows started up. I shut off the computer and put in my Powercolor TurboDuo R9 280 into the PCI 3.0 slot on an msi z97 gaming 5 motherboard. I put in the 6+2 and 6 pin connectors, turned it back on, and received no display, not even a BIOS boot that comes on each time. I refastened the card, no luck. I tried a different PCI card, no luck. I set the driver disc to boot first, no luck.
Could the intel 4600 igpu from the 4670k be interfering with it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Yes. The GPU will need power.

You didn't follow instructions! RAWR!!!!!

Put the card in.
Try using the graphics on the card.
Try using the graphics on the motherboard.

Do either of them work?

Please report back here!:)
Hi.

Did you verify that your BIOS is not setting the on-board video card as the default display? It probably is.. try plugging the video cable into the motherboard and see if you get video. If you do, head to the BIOS and find the option to change the primary graphics card.

GaryOakFJ

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

I can't seem to find an option to select what the default display is produced by. Even if i do find it, I imagine The GPU needs power for it to be detected by the motherboard to be selected as the default display, but nothing will show up if it has power running to it.

GaryOakFJ

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

don't rawr at me, I'm new :(

...well now I feel silly. I put the HDMI cable into the GPU after i mowed the lawn, and it works now. Thank you for the help ^^

Jayrod

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
hey guys, I'm having this exact same issue however on board graphics don't even work when the R9 280 is plugged in!! i have GA-Z77-D3H motherboard and previously running HD6950 with zero issues (which i have just reverted back to as new card wont work...)