i5-4440/i5-4670k vs. FX 8350 BE

hccompany

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Hi
I know... this question has been asked a million times before. I already know that the i5 is better for single core uses, while the fx is better for multi-threaded uses. My question is: which one is more future-proof for gaming ? Are games going to need more cores in the future ? Which one is better, not now as there's practically no difference with a decent graphics card (I'm thinkin of a GTX 770 2gb for gaming at 1080p), but in the next few years ? And what about their sockets ? Which one would offer better upgradability in the future without having to replace the motherboard ?
P.S: I don't live in the US. Both are pretty expensive here so the price difference doesn't matter all that much... being able to play latest games in the future is the main concern. Also, it's pretty expensive to get a CPU cooler so maybe next year I could get one but now that's not possible.
Thanks !

Solution
Quad-core CPUs were first introduced in like 2005, and it's only 9 years later that they've finally become commonly used in games. There are still even some games releasing optimized for 2 cores, more than 12 years after they were introduced.

It'll be a bare minimum of 5 years before 8 core CPUs are utilized commonly, probably longer, and by then the FX-8350 will be too weak anyway.

For gaming, the i5-4440 or the i5-4670K are both much better options, and will remain better options throughout any 3 of those CPUs lifespans.

drums101

Distinguished
If you have the approriate mother board the i5 4670k would be the most future proof of the three....not only will it be the best in games but it offers you the ability to overclock later down the road if you feel you need more juice. The way games are going they are not going to take full advantage of more cores for a while they still dont take advantage of 4 over 2 cores yet

Quad-core CPUs were first introduced in like 2005, and it's only 9 years later that they've finally become commonly used in games. There are still even some games releasing optimized for 2 cores, more than 12 years after they were introduced.

It'll be a bare minimum of 5 years before 8 core CPUs are utilized commonly, probably longer, and by then the FX-8350 will be too weak anyway.

For gaming, the i5-4440 or the i5-4670K are both much better options, and will remain better options throughout any 3 of those CPUs lifespans.

Solution

True. The B85 would match up better with the i5-4440, and the Z87 would match up better with the i5-4670K. Gettting any other combination out of those options would be wasting money.

hccompany

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

Well it's significantly more expensive... If I need to choose between these two builds, which one is better ?
i5-4440 + gtx 770 2gb on a b85 motherboard
i5-4670k + gtx 760 2gb on a z87 motherboard

This would be better.
i5-4440 + gtx 770 2gb on a b85 motherboard