Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Core i7 4790K on MSI MPower Max Z87?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 25, 2014 8:43:40 AM

According to MSI's website, the MPower Max motherboard was updated to the AMI BIOS version 1.7 in February to allow for the use of "Haswell-R" CPUs. Does this include the Devil's Canyon chips or just the locked variants? My i5 is plenty at the moment, but with games using more cores I thought I'd be able to leverage the extra threads and overclocking performance in the future.

Thanks!
a c 93 V Motherboard
a c 101 à CPUs
June 25, 2014 8:58:37 AM

They didn't said the 4790"k" under cpu supported list
m
0
l
June 25, 2014 9:02:36 AM

rgd1101 said:
They didn't said the 4790"k" under cpu supported list


Wow, I totally missed that part!
Thanks for pointing it out, though.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 93 V Motherboard
a c 101 à CPUs
June 25, 2014 9:32:10 AM

FYI, even some of the newer Z97 required a bios update to use the "k" version of 4790
m
0
l
June 30, 2014 6:33:23 AM

Pls check this site.. the i7-4790"k" is already there..
m
0
l
a c 93 V Motherboard
a c 101 à CPUs
June 30, 2014 6:41:02 AM

megggamind said:
Pls check this site.. the i7-4790"k" is already there..


we did check, it wasn't there before, if you look the other i7 4790 was support on version 1.7, the "k" is on 1.8
m
0
l
June 30, 2014 6:45:24 AM

The i7-4790k explicity states that it works on Z97 mobos only. Anyway, a system is only as fast/strong as its weakest link. Why put a high end CPU with a less than high end mobo to support it?

m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2014 7:21:51 AM

titanHUNTER said:
The i7-4790k explicity states that it works on Z97 mobos only. Anyway, a system is only as fast/strong as its weakest link. Why put a high end CPU with a less than high end mobo to support it?



It works on more than z97 motherboards... it was originally stated to only work with z97 but BIOS updates now allow certain motherboards to work with the Haswell refresh. The Mpower Max Z87 board will work Devils Canyon with a BIOS update. Any of the Z87 Mpower boards are still high end so I do not know what you are speaking of there...
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2014 7:25:25 AM

gman_42 said:
According to MSI's website, the MPower Max motherboard was updated to the AMI BIOS version 1.7 in February to allow for the use of "Haswell-R" CPUs. Does this include the Devil's Canyon chips or just the locked variants? My i5 is plenty at the moment, but with games using more cores I thought I'd be able to leverage the extra threads and overclocking performance in the future.

Thanks!


The "K" variant, specifically the 4790k, will work on your MPower Max Z87. I personally own a Z87 Mpower and I just updated a friends Z87 Mpower to the 4790k. Update your BIOS and slap that puppy in and expect to be wow'd. Please make sure that you have adequate cooling if you are planning to overclock. Thermal management and temperatures are much easier and lower with the Haswell refresh but they still like to run a bit hot when overclocked.
m
0
l
June 30, 2014 7:35:36 AM

kira70591 said:
titanHUNTER said:
The i7-4790k explicity states that it works on Z97 mobos only. Anyway, a system is only as fast/strong as its weakest link. Why put a high end CPU with a less than high end mobo to support it?



It works on more than z97 motherboards... it was originally stated to only work with z97 but BIOS updates now allow certain motherboards to work with the Haswell refresh. The Mpower Max Z87 board will work Devils Canyon with a BIOS update. Any of the Z87 Mpower boards are still high end so I do not know what you are speaking of there...



You're right, mobos do update as new CPUs come out. Even though the Z87 is high end, it is not the newest of newest. He is planning on purchasing the newest of the new CPUs. I simply recommend that a cutting edge CPU like that is paired with a cutting edge mobo. Also, there is no guarantee that the mobo that comes in the mail will have the update, or if he will have to update it himself.

"Neither do men put new wine [new CPU] into old bottles [old mobo]: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved." -Jesus

LOL ;) 
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2014 7:49:06 AM

titanHUNTER said:
kira70591 said:
titanHUNTER said:
The i7-4790k explicity states that it works on Z97 mobos only. Anyway, a system is only as fast/strong as its weakest link. Why put a high end CPU with a less than high end mobo to support it?



It works on more than z97 motherboards... it was originally stated to only work with z97 but BIOS updates now allow certain motherboards to work with the Haswell refresh. The Mpower Max Z87 board will work Devils Canyon with a BIOS update. Any of the Z87 Mpower boards are still high end so I do not know what you are speaking of there...



You're right, mobos do update as new CPUs come out. Even though the Z87 is high end, it is not the newest of newest. He is planning on purchasing the newest of the new CPUs. I simply recommend that a cutting edge CPU like that is paired with a cutting edge mobo. Also, there is no guarantee that the mobo that comes in the mail will have the update, or if he will have to update it himself.

"Neither do men put new wine [new CPU] into old bottles [old mobo]: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved." -Jesus

LOL ;) 


The main updates for Z97 are the storage features. You are not going to gain much of a performance boost CPU wise by switching to Z97 from Z87. He also already has a board (Mpower Max) that supports the processor so it would not be worth it to purchase a whole new board unless you want to use PCIe storage support. While I do agree that pairing new with new is normally the best options, in this case, it simply does not make any sense to do so.

Haha, nice quote.
m
0
l
June 30, 2014 9:31:07 PM

rgd1101 said:
megggamind said:
Pls check this site.. the i7-4790"k" is already there..


we did check, it wasn't there before, if you look the other i7 4790 was support on version 1.7, the "k" is on 1.8


i was wondering if i can do the same for my z87 gd65 gaming mobo from msi.? help pls..

m
0
l
July 1, 2014 3:28:51 AM

All MSI Z87 motherboard already supported by Devil's Canyon from the previous bios.

m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2014 10:50:23 AM

Kevin Loke said:
All MSI Z87 motherboard already supported by Devil's Canyon from the previous bios.



Haha, I was about ready to post that same picture.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2014 10:51:08 AM

megggamind said:
rgd1101 said:
megggamind said:
Pls check this site.. the i7-4790"k" is already there..


we did check, it wasn't there before, if you look the other i7 4790 was support on version 1.7, the "k" is on 1.8


i was wondering if i can do the same for my z87 gd65 gaming mobo from msi.? help pls..



Most, if not all of MSIs z87 boards are supported with a BIOS updated.

m
0
l
July 3, 2014 12:03:50 AM

kira70591 said:
megggamind said:
rgd1101 said:
megggamind said:
Pls check this site.. the i7-4790"k" is already there..


we did check, it wasn't there before, if you look the other i7 4790 was support on version 1.7, the "k" is on 1.8


i was wondering if i can do the same for my z87 gd65 gaming mobo from msi.? help pls..



Most, if not all of MSIs z87 boards are supported with a BIOS updated.



i created my own thread to my question. pls help me..
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2204635/upgradin...
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2014 4:37:49 AM

titanHUNTER said:
The i7-4790k explicity states that it works on Z97 mobos only. Anyway, a system is only as fast/strong as its weakest link. Why put a high end CPU with a less than high end mobo to support it?



way to pull that one out of your a$$. The CPU works on plenty of z87 chipset boards, its up to the manufacturer to release a bios update for it however. Asus in fact was one of the first to do it for a lot of their z87 boards. If you're going to post, at least stop spreading misinformation. Also outside of the storage features and a few small other additions, there is not much difference between z87 / z97.
m
0
l
August 14, 2014 7:18:26 PM

I have the MSI MPOWER MAX Z87 board and have yet to purchase a CPU. I am planning on purchasing the Core i7-4790K, and I know it's supported now according to the previous posts/MSI reference; however, I do not know if my system will POST with the old BIOS, since I got this board last Fall (2013). Does anybody know if the system will boot and then allow me to update the BIOS accordingly, or if not; is there a way to update the BIOS maybe with an online connection? I don't have any idea on how far ahead these new BIOS UI's have become and their low-level functionality. Please let me know. Would much prefer to get this new chip over the Core i7-4770K.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2014 4:44:32 AM

Just FYI, make your own thread next time instead of bumping a thread that is over a month old.

anyways.....in your case if your BIOS version is not updated to have the support for the new CPU it will not boot if you put that new CPU in, the bios needs to be updated before hand.
m
0
l
August 17, 2014 5:19:05 PM

Do you happen to know this for a fact or are you just stating the obvious guess? I kind of need to know.
m
0
l
August 20, 2014 12:51:33 PM

kira70591 said:
titanHUNTER said:
kira70591 said:
titanHUNTER said:
The i7-4790k explicity states that it works on Z97 mobos only. Anyway, a system is only as fast/strong as its weakest link. Why put a high end CPU with a less than high end mobo to support it?



It works on more than z97 motherboards... it was originally stated to only work with z97 but BIOS updates now allow certain motherboards to work with the Haswell refresh. The Mpower Max Z87 board will work Devils Canyon with a BIOS update. Any of the Z87 Mpower boards are still high end so I do not know what you are speaking of there...



You're right, mobos do update as new CPUs come out. Even though the Z87 is high end, it is not the newest of newest. He is planning on purchasing the newest of the new CPUs. I simply recommend that a cutting edge CPU like that is paired with a cutting edge mobo. Also, there is no guarantee that the mobo that comes in the mail will have the update, or if he will have to update it himself.

"Neither do men put new wine [new CPU] into old bottles [old mobo]: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved." -Jesus

LOL ;) 


The main updates for Z97 are the storage features. You are not going to gain much of a performance boost CPU wise by switching to Z97 from Z87. He also already has a board (Mpower Max) that supports the processor so it would not be worth it to purchase a whole new board unless you want to use PCIe storage support. While I do agree that pairing new with new is normally the best options, in this case, it simply does not make any sense to do so.

Haha, nice quote.

You are absolutely right z97 its not a lot better than z87 only difference between z87 and z97 is high speed sata up to 10k gb instead 6gb and DDR 4 memoru but I m sure msi z87mpower max wil keep up with update so that we're able to use DDR 4 memory and maybe 10k gb sata but if not 10k gb sata are not out there jet. Or DDR 4, so what's the point. Racing car without all parts..
no worries z87 mpower or any other better mobo will be updated for use on i7 4790k .
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2014 12:58:10 PM

Z97 does not support DDR4 memory. X99 will and possibly Skylake will once it is launched. Also, a board cannot be upgraded to support DDR4 memory as the pinout is different and the notch is in a different location. This is an answered thread guys. If there is more discussion to be had, lets open up another thread and discuss it instead of resurrecting a dead thread.
m
0
l
!