Solved

I want to install RAM from my old computer to the new one - what should i check first?

Hello everyone,

So... there is an old computer in my house which I got new RAM for it not so long ago.

So I want to take the 2GB RAM stick from this PC and move it into my new one.

In the old one there is a 2GB stick and in my new one there is also 2GB stick.

So what do I need to check first before doing it?
I know how to install RAM but I am not sure that if I put this RAM it will fit and work well so what do i need to check to ensure in will work fine and I will have 4GB of RAM?

Thanks :)
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about install ram computer check
  1. Best answer
    you need to make sure you know if your old and new pc use DDR2 or DDR3, you can't use DDR2 AND DDR3 in a single mobo.
  2. TechyInAZ said:
    you need to make sure you know if your old and new pc use DDR2 or DDR3, you can't use DDR2 AND DDR3 in a single mobo.


    this is the only thing I need to check?
    If they both using the same DDR then it will be fit?

    And how can I check this?
  3. Yep, look at the memory dimms, there should be some type of code on the ram. Look that model num. up and it should tell ya.
  4. TechyInAZ said:
    Yep, look at the memory dimms, there should be some type of code on the ram. Look that model num. up and it should tell ya.


    Allright I checked with CPU-Z is it good?

    It tells me that both DDR-2 2GB each so it will work?
  5. BazokaJoe said:
    TechyInAZ said:
    Yep, look at the memory dimms, there should be some type of code on the ram. Look that model num. up and it should tell ya.


    Allright I checked with CPU-Z is it good?

    It tells me that both DDR-2 2GB each so it will work?


    If both sticks are DDR2, and you already have one installed in the motherboard, then yes, that should work fine. Unless you can see something that doesn't look like it fits, of course. Wouldn't want to force anything.
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Computers Memory