HD 7770 & Fx 8320 bottleneck?

G

Hello,I'll be building my first gaming pc, and as the title says, will a HD 7770 bottleneck an Fx 8320 overclocked CPU? Im getting the XFX 7770 1gb ddr5, which already comes overclocked.

Notes: - Im going to be playing at a 1366x786 screen resolution
- Yes,i'll overclock the CPU to 4,5 if i can
- I already bought the 8320 because it was on sale, i can't get another CPU.

Full Specs: CPU: Fx 8320
GPU: XFX HD 7770 1gb DDR5
MOBO: Asus M5A97 R2.0
RAM: 2x4gb 1866 Kingston FURY
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Antec VP Series VP630F (630 W)

Can someone tell me if this will cause a bottleneck? Thanks! :D

Solution
The HD 7770 is definitely going to be the weak link in your system however the resolution you are going to be playing at should fit it's performance curve reasonably well. The FX-8320 should continue to serve you reasonably, even if you upgrade to a higher tier graphics device in the future.

BradleyJames

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
its usually the cpu that bottlenecks the gpu, not the other way around as you stated. you wont have to overclock that cpu, it has plenty of power and there is absolutly no way the the 8320 will bottleneck a 7770

The HD 7770 is definitely going to be the weak link in your system however the resolution you are going to be playing at should fit it's performance curve reasonably well. The FX-8320 should continue to serve you reasonably, even if you upgrade to a higher tier graphics device in the future.

Solution
It will depend on the game engine. You could be playing some old poorly optimized DX9 MMORPG that lags like hell in crowded areas and technically that would be a "CPU bottleneck", but for more modern games you shouldn't have much trouble.

Example: Even my Athlon 760K can handle Far Cry 3 60FPS. My detail settings are limited to my GPU, an HD 7850, which runs out of gas before my CPU in that game. But then in WoW, my GPU hardly breaks a sweat while one of my CPU cores is overworked and spewing 20FPS in some areas ><

All computer systems always have a bottleneck, that is, the point at which you reach the maximum amount of particular work that can be done. I would make one change to Damric's explanation where he says "game engine" to include all software, as to a computer, all it sees are software workloads to be completed, whether it's a game or a business application.

When choosing your computer's components, especially when you expect to place a higher output expectation on the systems involved such as with gaming, the two biggest factors are the CPU and GPU. Your choices can never alleviate bottlenecking, but you can at least minimize or weight the occurrences of it through good component selection, based on the particular software loads you expect the system to be handling.