FX-6300 heat problems

OrangeChickenx

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
I'm having problems with my computer having artifacts. It runs fine during the MSI boot logo. But after that the computer shows artifacts all over the place. I went into my bios and checked the temperatures my motherboard runs around 23c while my CPU runs around 50c at the start then starts to climb to 60c rapidly. Could my CPU heating up cause these artifacts in my computer?

Also i'm kinda new so i don't know if this is the right thread for this question.

Computer Specs:

CPU: FX-6300 non-overclocked
GPU: EVGA GTX 760 2gb non-overclocked
Ram: G.Skill Sniper Series 8gb(4gbx2) 1600mhz
MB: MSI 970-G46
PSU: OCZ ZT series 650w 80+ Bronze
HDD: 1tb western digital caviar blue

Thank you for your time.

berguy

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
I have heard people claim* that CPUs can indeed cause artifacts; however I wouldn't bet money on that being the source. Highly likely it's a GPU issue, but I'm not sure I'd say it's impossible for the CPU to be the culprit.

Reseat the heat sink on the processor. Scrape the old thermal paste off, and apply new some new paste. After that, if you're still having issues with heat, look into a new CPU fan/waterblock/loop. The location of your computer, the temperature of the environment, and the amount of dust in the system can also cause extreme differences in CPU temps.

EDIT: FX series does not have integrated graphics, apologies. Perhaps you can run to your local hardware store that has a good return policy and grab a cheap GPU. I don't usually encourage such, but as long as you're careful with it I see no issue.

Make sure your gpu drivers are up to date and working (in Device Manager)

Check the monitor cable.

Check your card is plugged fully into the pcie slot and locked in.

Check the power supply connectors are on the card properly.

Check your power supply voltages in UEFI.

Try your 760 in another pc.

Try another card in your pc.

ImPrettyIrish

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
I think you better check and make sure your CPU fan doesn't have a ton of dust in it. Do you have the stock fan or a custom fan? Also, as said before, artifacting is pretty much always a GPU issue. But your CPU temps do seem off. Mine (overclocked at 3.87 GHz) is running at around 20C.

OrangeChickenx

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

I cleaned the small amount of dust within the stock cooler and applied thermal paste. But that didn't stop the cpu from reaching 60c. But ill have to test the GPU in my friends pc if he will let me.

berguy

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Don't want to hijack i7's post, but check what voltage it's running at. I don't know about MSI, but I know Asus has an auto-overclock in BIOS, so I would double check nothing like that is messing with voltage. I believe it should be at 1.35v. Also, re-check my previous post, I edited it several times.

Beyond this, it is likely you just have a bad chip or maybe your heat sink isn't making proper contact (double check that). If this be the case, I'd give AMD a call.

Do you have a good CPU fan?

OrangeChickenx

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

No unfortunately i have the stock cooler.

berguy

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Check BIOS please. It very well could have been modified by an automatic profile MSI had set. It will be best if you just check so we can accurately help you further.

OrangeChickenx

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Sorry its taking so long i have to wait for my to cool down. It starts to have red lines on the bios if i stay on the computer for too long. The red lines appear around 5 seconds in being above 60c.

OrangeChickenx

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Alright ill have to check up on that. I hope its not a huge problem but it seems to be that way. But it could take a while because those red lines get really crazy when I'm on it to long so i'm forced to turn the computer off and wait for it to cool down.

OrangeChickenx

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Will do! But if this does not work does that mean must get a new power supply?