212 evo and 8350 fan question

Krillle3

Reputable
May 7, 2014
Hi, I have a ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 with an 212 evo hyper and a 8350 fx. The question is how can i change my fanspeed so that it's at 660 rpm which appears to be the lowest. How do i get it at 37-38 socket temp, it's my idle temp. If i set it to silent in bios i get around 1000 rpm at 38 degrees and that's quite loud actually.. Anyone got any ideas on how I can change it? I'm real tired at the moment so forgive my misspellings and confusion. Thanks!

G

I don't think you'd be getting good cooling performance from any fan running at such a low RPM, even a Noctua probably couldn't manage that.
Find an RPM that is roughly as quiet as you're able to bare, around the 1000 mark should be that point, the reason yours is loud at that level is probably due to the fan itself. Noise is all subjective though.

Fortunately it's in easy upgrade on the 212 to swap a fan over. A Noctua fan will serve you well and be as quiet as it can while retaining great performance. They're renowned for it.

As for your temps, are you running your 8350 at stock clocks? They're good temps, but you have to keep in mind load level, if the processor was suddenly hit with 100% load across all cores, would a 660rpm fan be able to cut it?

Anyway, the way to change fan speeds can vary somewhat depending on your motherboard. I know that I previously had a budget board that allowed for speed 'levels' to be set in the bios. Even worked with 3-pin fans. Surprisingly this newer, more enthusiast orientated Sabertooth board doesn't hold that feature. Then again, I do have almost all of them plugged in to Molex adapters now.
You can also try some software called SpeedFan, although keep in mind I don't believe it saves them when you reboot, I believe there is a 'open on start up' tick box however.

If your fans are 4-pin PWM, controlling them gets a whole lot easier.
Finally, you could always buy a fan controller. Not huge fan of them myself (Ahuhhuhhuh geddit... no? Aw).

Krillle3

Reputable
May 7, 2014
Thanks for your answer. Actually I'm running it that low right now through Speedfan, that's why i wish it to be such speed, it's working out fine, around 37 to 39 degrees on 660 RPM. This is for idling if I wasn't too clear. Actually on my asus board i have a few options but only such as Silent, turbo, standard and manual, and I was thinking if anyone knew how to set my manual settings for this to happen, if possible that is. Otherwise I will have to go with Speedfan, although bios is the most simple thing indeed. Or eventually I will get tired of it and get a Noctua haha! I have fan controller on my chassis, Fractal R4, although it seems as if my psu is going bad, or the chassis is very odd as sometimes when I change the fan speeds, i have 5,7,12 volt, it hard freezes the system, cannot move mouse or anything, restart button works fine though. Well the psu is starting to get all sort of odd noises, coilwhine and becoming really noisy, so i believe it's time for a replacement. Anyway got a little off topic there so if anyone has an idea about my bios settings, please tell! :)

Krillle3

Reputable
May 7, 2014
Today i bought a Noctua NF-P12 fan for my evo 212. And I'm having socket temps up to 66-67 degrees, seems as if it's rising, didnt dare go much over that though. What is the problem? Idle i get around 36-40 idle.

G

What speed are you running it at, and, is it hooked on there properly?

G

Damn dude, a Noctua and loud? xD
You do have to balance fan speeds for noise and performance, they can't go too low otherwise you just end up with next to zero airflow, which kinda defeats the purpose.

How do you mean the cooler isn't hooked up properly? Is there an issue with its mounting mechanism?

G

Idk man. I mean, the 8350 is quite a hot running chip even at stock, but with a 212 and a Noctua fan you should still be able to get good controlled silence out of it at stock clocks.
Something around the 1000rpm mark should be adequately quiet while keeping things just below normal.

Your idle temps are a little bit high, but then again, it is summer. I used to own a H60 which comes roughly on par with the 212 in cooling performance and it would sit around the 26-28c mark in winter (Basically any other time of year it isn't summer, in England), yet the H80i I currently have is sitting at about 30-32c as I type.
Not bad for summer temps. These are coming from the socket reading btw. Same CPU.

The only other thing I can suggest if silence is your aim over raw cooling performance is to just simply buy another one. I've never owned a 212, but I seem to remember you can mount two fans for it in a push/pull setup.
You could then notch down the RPM on both, allowing you to get a darn good compromise in that regard.

Krillle3

Reputable
May 7, 2014
It seems as if my temp sensors aint completely okay? Socket temp 64 degrees celsius, package at the moment 48 degrees? Does seem a bit off?

Yeah I'm starting to think i got too much cooling paste or something also?

G

Could try remounting just for old times sake, see if that cools things down a bit.
Also take a look at your case airflow, see if you're getting a good amount of fresh air in and warm air out.

I wish you luck on that one anyway, I did a remount yesterday morning and gaaaawd damn who at AMD thought two clips was a good idea?

Krillle3

Reputable
May 7, 2014
I actually came up with the solution. I had set the power plan to high performance and that made my temps rise quite a bit actually, now im 35-36 degrees socket temp on idle (surfing web, movies might be a little bit higher) and before it was all the way up to 44 degrees i believe, average 42. Load temps aint too big a difference as I'm having the noctua P-12 instead of stock, stock fan was much more powerful. Thinking of a push pull config with the noctuas to get the stock fan config. 55 degrees playing Rome 2 with the Noctua and stock fan in push pull and with only the noctua i get up to 61 degrees, as the exhaust fan is not superb, increasing its speed on my fan controller makes it a bit cooler indeed, so i believe a push pull config with the Noctuas will do real good. Anyway just wanted to let others know that the High performance mode on my power plan made my computers much hotter, understandable as the cores work on full mhz constant. Well that's all from me, over and out!

Edit: Also turbo core mode made my temps around 6 degrees more, so that's also turned off now!

I know it's been a while since you posted this but it doesn't look like you've found a solution. I just had a similar problem and after much hair pulling I discovered that the center thumbscrew for the hold down is actually adjustable. This is not mentioned in any of the online installation tutorials I've seen nor is it included in the instructions that came with my unit. It certainly affects the mounting pressure which in turn affects heat dissipation and it cured my problem, at least so far. Good luck.