Using almost 100% of RAM while idling?

Markus_416

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I need some help with this. I have 8 GB of RAM and when I turned on my PC today I noticed it was running insanely slow, everything was. So I open task manager and notice that i'm using 7.8 gigs of ram on nothing, and I have no clue how to stop it. Any help?

A few things...
Windows will always use up all available memory as a "Cache" (it basically leaves things in memory that might be needed again).
When you say you're using 7.8GB of RAM in Task Manager, does that mean you have very little RAM "Free", or very little RAM "Available"... What's important is the "Available" RAM, if that's basically gone then you're in a world of hurt.

When you say you're using all the RAM on "nothing", do two things:
- Go to processes Tab in Task Manager and make sure you display "show processes from all users"
- Click on the "memory" label at the top of that column to sort all processes by Memory usage.
If you've got a memory leak or a problem, 9/10 it will appear at the top of the process list if you sort via memory. As xXDah... says, you can then google that and try and figure out what's going on.

Further questions/options, after a reboot, does it take some time for the memory use to climb, or is it instant? Does the problem occur under safe mode (if not, it's probably a non-critical driver or device that's misbehaving).