Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

CPU Heat Sensor Issues (maybe)

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 27, 2014 3:38:46 AM

I have been checking my CPUs heat recently, and it seemed to idle at 65 degrees celsius, when googling if it is normal, all the answers said no and said to reapply the thermal paste.
Well, i went to best buy and bought a tube of antec nano diamond paste and put it on by putting a small dot in the center of the cpu and putting the heatsink on.
So I booted up and went straight into the BIOS to check the cpu temperature, and it looked at 55 so i thought problem solved.
Until I actually booted into windows 8 and checked the temperature using a few different monitors (seperately of course) and they all said it was idling about 65 degrees celsius.
So i went to the next solution and that was to make sure the heatsink was seated properly, i checked and it seems proper, but now checking speccy shows it at about 70 degrees even and checking HWMonitor just shows the temperature fluctuate a lot. Could anyone help with this?

The CPU is an AMD A10-6700, and i looked around and it said the maximum operating temperature was 71.3°C so wouldn't it shut off if it got that hot?

More about : cpu heat sensor issues

a b à CPUs
June 27, 2014 3:42:07 AM

Those temps do seem hot, can you post a screenshot of HWMonitor showing your temps?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2014 3:42:49 AM

Biggun1505 said:
I have been checking my CPUs heat recently, and it seemed to idle at 65 degrees celsius, when googling if it is normal, all the answers said no and said to reapply the thermal paste.
Well, i went to best buy and bought a tube of antec nano diamond paste and put it on by putting a small dot in the center of the cpu and putting the heatsink on.
So I booted up and went straight into the BIOS to check the cpu temperature, and it looked at 55 so i thought problem solved.
Until I actually booted into windows 8 and checked the temperature using a few different monitors (seperately of course) and they all said it was idling about 65 degrees celsius.
So i went to the next solution and that was to make sure the heatsink was seated properly, i checked and it seems proper, but now checking speccy shows it at about 70 degrees even and checking HWMonitor just shows the temperature fluctuate a lot. Could anyone help with this?

The CPU is an AMD A10-6700, and i looked around and it said the maximum operating temperature was 71.3°C so wouldn't it shut off if it got that hot?


Speccy sucks for reading the A10 series, it says mine hits 85 degrees while gaming lol

I recommend using a combination of CPU socket temps and AMD overdrive, as per this guide:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2122665/understand...
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2014 3:43:35 AM

What is yo cpu cooler? What cooling hav u in your case ie fans etc? Do u also hav gpu generating heat?
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 3:45:41 AM

logang said:
Those temps do seem hot, can you post a screenshot of HWMonitor showing your temps?


I use the stock cooler, sorry forgot to say that in the initial post

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2014 3:50:37 AM

The 'package' temp in HWinfo uses the same TCTL signal as speccy, can I have a screenshot of the rest of HWmonitor? (the motherboard sensors are what I'm interested in)
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 3:54:04 AM

LucoTF said:
The 'package' temp in HWinfo uses the same TCTL signal as speccy, can I have a screenshot of the rest of HWmonitor? (the motherboard sensors are what I'm interested in)


Motherboard section of HWMonitor.

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2014 4:01:42 AM

TMPIN0 is usually the CPU socket temp but it's different for some motherboards so it might be TMPIN1. Something tells me your TMPIN2 reading is inaccurate, maybe it's drunk or something :D 

Anyways, your temps look fine to me, CPU core temp is unlikely to be wildly different to the socket temp (especially at idle).
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 4:05:58 AM

LucoTF said:
TMPIN0 is usually the CPU socket temp but it's different for some motherboards so it might be TMPIN1. Something tells me your TMPIN2 reading is inaccurate, maybe it's drunk or something :D 

Anyways, your temps look fine to me


So i should be fine on CPU temperature then? Because i have been really bored recently because I was worried i'd ruin my PC due to a overheating CPU. Also it looks like those three temps are stationary, seeing that not one of them has changed at all. AMD Overdrive shows that im still at 65 degrees celsius and that all TMPIN sensors are not working as they are all at negative temperatures
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2014 4:16:14 AM

Biggun1505 said:
LucoTF said:
TMPIN0 is usually the CPU socket temp but it's different for some motherboards so it might be TMPIN1. Something tells me your TMPIN2 reading is inaccurate, maybe it's drunk or something :D 

Anyways, your temps look fine to me


So i should be fine on CPU temperature then? Because i have been really bored recently because I was worried i'd ruin my PC due to a overheating CPU. Also it looks like those three temps are stationary, seeing that not one of them has changed at all. AMD Overdrive shows that im still at 65 degrees celsius and that all TMPIN sensors are not working as they are all at negative temperatures


AMD overdrive should be reporting your thermal margin, i.e. your distance from max operating temperature. So, bigger numbers are better. Any margin of 10 degrees or more is fine, although admittedly Overdrive is inaccurate at reading core temperatures of 40 degrees or less.

TMPIN - are they stationary, or negative? The TMPIN0 and TMPIN1 should be fairly steady as they're motherboard sensors.
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 4:21:12 AM

LucoTF said:
Biggun1505 said:
LucoTF said:
TMPIN0 is usually the CPU socket temp but it's different for some motherboards so it might be TMPIN1. Something tells me your TMPIN2 reading is inaccurate, maybe it's drunk or something :D 

Anyways, your temps look fine to me


So i should be fine on CPU temperature then? Because i have been really bored recently because I was worried i'd ruin my PC due to a overheating CPU. Also it looks like those three temps are stationary, seeing that not one of them has changed at all. AMD Overdrive shows that im still at 65 degrees celsius and that all TMPIN sensors are not working as they are all at negative temperatures


AMD overdrive should be reporting your thermal margin, i.e. your distance from max operating temperature. So, bigger numbers are better. Any margin of 10 degrees or more is fine, although admittedly Overdrive is inaccurate at reading core temperatures of 40 degrees or less.

TMPIN - are they stationary, or negative? The TMPIN0 and TMPIN1 should be fairly steady as they're motherboard sensors.


TMPIN are stationary on HWMonitor and negative on AMD Overdrive, also i saw the core temp suggestion but it looks like core temp shows 0 C on my CPU so i guess core temp failed to read the sensor then?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2014 4:30:26 AM

TMPIN2 on my board shows some ridiculous temp over 120c, all other temps show in tolerance, so I have learned to ignore that reading.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 27, 2014 4:31:54 AM

Biggun1505 said:
TMPIN are stationary on HWMonitor and negative on AMD Overdrive, also i saw the core temp suggestion but it looks like core temp shows 0 C on my CPU so i guess core temp failed to read the sensor then?


Yeah core temp says 0° on my A10-6800k too, I tried every program at some point or another.

Watch the TMPIN temps on HWMonitor.
Share
!