Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

AMD HD 5850 Crossfire GPU doesn't work with AMD FX 6300 CPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 27, 2014 4:39:15 AM

I just got my AMD FX 6300 CPU and was eager to install it, doing everything by the books.
It was installed perfectly fine, I connected the power and video cable and it powered up.
All the fans started spinning, the videocard included, though the screen remains black and the monitor stays in sleep mode.
For some reason the reset button doesn't work either.

When I replace the new CPU with my old one everything works fine and the reset button works too.

Is the new CPU broken, or incompatible with the video card?
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2014 4:51:35 AM

What motherboard are you using and what is your old CPU?
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 4:54:19 AM

bccorrupt said:
What motherboard are you using and what is your old CPU?


The motherboard is the ASRock 890FX Deluxe4, the old CPU is from somewhere 2011 and I got my new CPU today from a retail, so unused and everything.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2014 5:00:34 AM

Just what I was thinking. I'm guessing you had an AM3 processor before. Under specifications on ASRock's website it says AM3+ processors are "*Supported by BIOS P1.60 or later". Have you updated to that bios? It shows it came out at the very end of 2011.
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 5:05:50 AM

bccorrupt said:
Just what I was thinking. I'm guessing you had an AM3 processor before. Under specifications on ASRock's website it says AM3+ processors are "*Supported by BIOS P1.60 or later". Have you updated to that bios? It shows it came out at the very end of 2011.


Thank you very much, I'll get to it asap. If this is truely the solution, thank you very much again!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2014 5:07:13 AM

No problem, if it doesn't fix it reply again and I'll think a little harder.
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 7:18:09 AM

bccorrupt said:
No problem, if it doesn't fix it reply again and I'll think a little harder.


So I updated my bios to 1.70, the latest one available, and confirmed it (using my old CPU) before trying to boot my PC up with my new CPU but there's nothing different.

Does this mean my new CPU is broken?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 27, 2014 7:58:26 PM

It could be, but it would be extremely rare. Is your new CPU higher power usage than your old one?(maybe try with one card instead of two just to take some load off of it for testing) Also check out this post. Ended up being related to a conflict between an FX-6300 and the ram. Try resetting the CMOS before installing the new CPU and also drop down to just one ram stick(a different one if you have it to test) and one video card to limit the possible conflicts.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2082536/78lmt-us...

Also bumping in case someone else has a better idea. I really thought the bios update would get it for you.
Share
June 28, 2014 2:32:29 AM

bccorrupt said:
It could be, but it would be extremely rare. Is your new CPU higher power usage than your old one?(maybe try with one card instead of two just to take some load off of it for testing) Also check out this post. Ended up being related to a conflict between an FX-6300 and the ram. Try resetting the CMOS before installing the new CPU and also drop down to just one ram stick(a different one if you have it to test) and one video card to limit the possible conflicts.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2082536/78lmt-us...

Also bumping in case someone else has a better idea. I really thought the bios update would get it for you.


I'm not sure if my new CPU uses more power but I do know that it uses 95 Watt and my power supply is 500 Watt.
Though I can't seem to remove the CMOS battery and I don't want to shortcut any pins with a screwdriver (as the topic suggests in one of the posts), and I tried using 1 ram stick of 2gb, a different one than what I was using. I can't use one video card though, as both cards are actually just 1..

Is there anything else I should try, or should I return the CPU and request a replacement?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2014 2:39:16 AM

The title said 5850 crossfire, is it actually only one card? If not, it would have to be an unbelievably solid 500w power supply to run 2 5850s and a 100w cpu.
m
0
l
June 28, 2014 2:48:14 AM

bccorrupt said:
The title said 5850 crossfire, is it actually only one card? If not, it would have to be an unbelievably solid 500w power supply to run 2 5850s and a 100w cpu.


Then I may have made a mistake there, apologies if I did, it's just 1 card with 2 connectors(?). I'm not such an expert on computers (even though I'd like to pretend different).
Though I just found a "RESET CMOS" button on the back so I placed my old CPU back in, powered it up, hit the reset button and then turned off my PC. I then placed my new CPU in with 1 stick of RAM and it booted up! So thank you very much for that!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2014 2:50:08 AM

No problem, probably just needed a reset after the bios update. Enjoy, have a good night.
m
0
l
!