Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Building a new PC...quick question about windows 7 and reinstall.

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
June 27, 2014 10:10:06 AM

Hi all, I have a Windows 7 disk code etc, but I'm upgrading the PC it's currently installed on....I will be formatting the HD etc, and changing to SSD and some new components.

Do I have to un-register windows from this PC - to install it on the new HD etc? Unsure what to do...
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2014 10:14:24 AM

Is the Windows 7 install disk you have a retail or OEM version? If you have the retail version you shouldn't have to "unregister" the computer but you may need to call Microsoft's automated activation number after the install to activate. If you are installing an SSD and using an HDD as a storage drive make sure you connect the HDD after you have installed Windows and not before.
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 10:18:23 AM

Yes it's a retail version, well says 'Intended for distribution with a new pc' in a plastic case, the key is on the side of my old pc....but basically I'm just updating a few things including HD to SSD, MOBO etc...should this be ok?
m
0
l
Related resources
June 27, 2014 10:19:28 AM

kenrivers said:
Is the Windows 7 install disk you have a retail or OEM version? If you have the retail version you shouldn't have to "unregister" the computer but you may need to call Microsoft's automated activation number after the install to activate. If you are installing an SSD and using an HDD as a storage drive make sure you connect the HDD after you have installed Windows and not before.


Yes it's a retail version, well says 'Intended for distribution with a new pc' in a plastic case - so I assume it is...(There's a patch missing on th eback of the case where the certificate has been taken off and place on my PC case) the key is on the side of my old pc....but basically I'm just updating a few things including HD to SSD, MOBO etc...should this be ok?
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 10:20:29 AM

Do you know if the copy of windows you have is an OEM or retail version? OEM versions can only be installed to one machine / one motherboard. To release the SN for activation on another motherboard, you need to contact microsoft customer support...a fun day indeed.

Retail copies of windows 7 can generally be installed on 2-3 separate machines/motherboards.

If you aren't changing your motherboard, then you don't need to worry about anything, install away on the new SSD.
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 10:21:37 AM

That sounds like an OEM version of windows, but you can check the fine print which should say oem or retail somewhere.
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 10:26:50 AM

dwatterworth said:
That sounds like an OEM version of windows, but you can check the fine print which should say oem or retail somewhere.


any idea where to look?
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 10:28:24 AM

Yeh it says OEM on the sticker...any way around this? I've had a new MOBO anyway from the company I bought it from...what are you supposed to do when you feel your MOBO is faulty and need a new one!? Any options? Or buy a new version >.<
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 10:34:03 AM

I have read about, but never had personal success, calling microsoft support and reporting that you need to replace the motherboard for instances like this. I'm not sure about installing an upgrade, I think they ask for the serial number or something from the old motherboard and new motherboard, which would be the way to shoot down the upgrade path.
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 10:35:30 AM

kenrivers said:
If the sticker is on the side of your case then you more than likely have an OEM version of the software. The key phrase is "Intended for distribution with a new pc". You may want to read this - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...


Thanks very informative....If I'm going to have to buy a new version, what would you suggest? How much would I be looking at? I guess I'll have to keep this installed on my current MOBO and get a new one then >.<
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2014 10:35:53 AM

evansuk2000 said:
Yeh it says OEM on the sticker...any way around this? I've had a new MOBO anyway from the company I bought it from...what are you supposed to do when you feel your MOBO is faulty and need a new one!? Any options? Or buy a new version >.<


For a faulty motherboard you would need to replace it with an identical or atleast a very similar motherboard(same chipset). where you are upgrading the motherboard and cpu you will need to buy another windows license. If you go for windows 8, the OEM system builder versions can be moved to a different system as long as its only installed on 1 system unlike OEM versions of previous versions of windows.
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 10:43:58 AM

Agh I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a new OS for what is essentially a new PC I guess...I quite like Windows 7 Professional...any idea where I can pick it up for a competitive price and will work on a new build then?
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 10:44:15 AM

bignastyid said:
evansuk2000 said:
Yeh it says OEM on the sticker...any way around this? I've had a new MOBO anyway from the company I bought it from...what are you supposed to do when you feel your MOBO is faulty and need a new one!? Any options? Or buy a new version >.<


For a faulty motherboard you would need to replace it with an identical or atleast a very similar motherboard(same chipset). where you are upgrading the motherboard and cpu you will need to buy another windows license. If you go for windows 8, the OEM system builder versions can be moved to a different system as long as its only installed on 1 system unlike OEM versions of previous versions of windows.


Agh I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a new OS for what is essentially a new PC I guess...I quite like Windows 7 Professional...any idea where I can pick it up for a competitive price and will work on a new build then?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2014 11:12:22 AM

Best Buy and B&H Photo Video - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM $129.99
Amazon - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM $124.39
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 12:32:13 PM

bignastyid said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-fqc04649
It's still oem and will be locked to the new motherboard.


Can I ask you both one more thing...will I be okay to update the HD drive in my pc to a dual ssd/hd (and the dvd drive upgrade also) and still keep the OEM windows 7...I'll of course need to reinstall it on the new SSD...but I won't have to buy a new Windows 7 for those upgradest no?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2014 12:42:39 PM

The OS is tied to the motherboard not the hdd.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2014 12:52:55 PM

You should be able to do that. Keep in mind to disconnect the existing HDD while installing Windows 7 on the SSD. After the Windows install you can reconnect the existing HDD.
Share
June 27, 2014 1:01:00 PM

Thanks for all of the answers people.
m
0
l
!