Solved

An all around excellent mid-tower case? NZXT H440.

I've seen this case mentioned often lately. The case ( NZXT H440 ) seems to be almost ideal. I'm not interested in the cheapest case around at all, period. I'm only interested in cases that fit my criteria. It must be a good overall case. It must be good to excellent cooling wise. It must support watercooling radiators (and not just a few ports on the back) . And it must be a good looking case. And I want functional dust filters.

I am also known for preferring quiet cases This case doesn't have the sound dampening that I would prefer, but it could be added.

So, I ask you how does this case measure up. I don't want posts based on their favorite case brand. My current case is an Antec P280. It is a great quiet case. I really like it. But there are new cases out there for new projects. That is what I 'm looking for?

For those that own the case, does it seem like a quality product. Is the overall fit and finish of high quality or just average? I haven't seen a display case in a a store.
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about excellent mid tower case nzxt h440
  1. I had this case for a while before I returned it. It was a good case, but it did not work out for my components. Whether or not you should get it is dependent on what components you have. Here is an explanation of what I mean.

    Do NOT get it if you have an all in one cooler (or any water cooling set up where you want to use the top), you will get very bad temperatures. I got a 20 degree increase in battlefield 4 with it (which is why I returned it, because the top panel causes issues with getting the heat away from the radiator). You could just take the top off (I did so, and my CPU dropped from 60 on my fx-8350 to 40 degrees C in BF4), but then you have a bright power button shinning in your eyes and exposed usb ports. The cable management is a nightmare. If you don't have ribbon cables, it will be very, very hard. It is great for hiding cables, but a battle when managing cables.

    The noise is ok. It muffles the PSU and HDD, but the fans constantly run at their max RPM (which makes the case about as quiet if not slightly louder in terms of fans than my 750D). My 750D is not supposed to be a quiet optimized case, and with it being quieter than the H440, the H440 does not perform in terms of acoustics as well as I wish it would. They could have fixed this with a simple fan controller as featured on several of their cases. The fans do a good job in terms of performance. The front fans are not fighting for air as it looks like. They are not struggling, and they are only blocked by the HDD trays which can be easily removed (the trays sit in front of the blades in some places, but like I said, this shouldn't be an issue unless you have a lot of HDD's).

    This case has outstanding water cooling support for the size. Being able to firt dual 360mm radiators is amazing. However if you are looking to do a custom loop, do not use the top panel (as explained earlier).


    The looks, and the build quality are outstanding. The side panels feel good in the hand, and a very solid.The top and front panel are sturdy as well.

    If you have an air cooler, and you have flat ribbon cables, this is a good case. If you want to install anything in the top, just be aware of the struggle to get air out of there. If you want to water cool, I only recommend using the top with the top panel off. If you have these features, and you want not a loud case, but not necessarily the most quiet case, it is a good choice for you.
  2. What case did you exchange it for?

    The case will have to perform well, or it will be out of the running.
  3. Best answer
    terry4536 said:
    What case did you exchange it for?

    The case will have to perform well, or it will be out of the running.


    I havent gotten the new case yet. I am using my old 750D as of now. I am looking at getting the Phanteks Enthoo Pro. This case has amazing radiator and watercooling support. It was built for watercooling. It is only $99. The other case I am looking at is the Corsair Carbide Air 540, (which is great for watercooling). I wont talk about that one just because the Enthoo is the case I think is best suited for you unless you want a massive case, in which the Enthoo Primo is the best, but I am thinking that you aren't looking for that type of case.

    This case is quiet, has amazing cable management, great cooling, great watercooling potential, has a PWM fan hub, has a nice look to it, and is $99.

    The case can be purchased on Amazon

    http://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-Enthoo-Chassis-Window-PH-ES614P/dp/B00K6S1B3Q

    Here is a great explanation by Hardwarecanucks as to why this case is great.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhmn21ylkc

    Really, this case is just amazing for $99.
  4. Yes, I like Corsair cases. I haven't looked at the Air 540D much though. I,m not sure that I would like a cube case on my desk. The 550D case was a consideration, when I purchased my Antec P280 case.

    The Phanteks case is new to me. I haven't seen it before.
  5. Phanteks Primo is the literal crème of the crop as far as build quality goes they're immaculate. The reason I didn't buy it though is because it's geared toward water cooling I have an AIO H100i which is about as far as I'll go with water cooling I've seen some bad things that make me really nervous about it. So far I've seen the H440 get some pretty crappy reviews from "Actual" power users, but I'm looking into the 540 right now because Corsair says it's one of their coolest if not their coolest air case.
  6. I3lood Eagle said:
    Phanteks Primo is the literal crème of the crop as far as build quality goes they're immaculate. The reason I didn't buy it though is because it's geared toward water cooling I have an AIO H100i which is about as far as I'll go with water cooling I've seen some bad things that make me really nervous about it. So far I've seen the H440 get some pretty crappy reviews from "Actual" power users, but I'm looking into the 540 right now because Corsair says it's one of their coolest if not their coolest air case.


    The air 540 will provide you with great cooling. The fan provided are the quietest 140mm I have ever dealt with (I have delt with brands such as Noctua, NZXT, and more). Just make sure you buy a magnetic dust filter for the PSU. It is a wider than normal case and at first will be a bit strange in width, but honestly, it should be that bad unless you have a narrow space where your computer resides.It is bigger than it seems in the pictures. But still, it is a great case.
  7. I know, but would you say that maybe there is a better case for me? I have CFX R9 290s so they run as hot as the sun and I need the absolute most cooling possible.
  8. I3lood Eagle said:
    I know, but would you say that maybe there is a better case for me? I have CFX R9 290s so they run as hot as the sun and I need the absolute most cooling possible.


    Not many cases can provide that much direct cooling. However, a case with a side fan can help too.

    I can recommend a couple of options, but I need to know what CPU cooler you have.
  9. Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Chassis

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guBAl6g8BlY
    View this then buy it:


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Case: Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK ATX Full Tower Case ($105.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $105.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
  10. I went with an H100i and I'm thinking push pull, but I don't need push pull if it's going to be a problem.
  11. I3lood Eagle said:
    I went with an H100i and I'm thinking push pull, but I don't need push pull if it's going to be a problem.


    It will provide intake air better than any other case.The air 540 does well with 290's in crossfire. I am not sure if it would be the best case possible for you (due to some other things that I would need to ask you), but if you have some hot components, it would cool them quiet well.

    Oh and by the way, the H100i in push pull will give you only about 2 degrees better due to it being a very thin radiator. I just wanted to give you a heads up on that.
  12. I'm not gonna set up a push/pull I'm gonna leave it be. I'm getting a new mobo and cpu... I7 4790k, Asus mobo. I've made up my mind to go with the HAF XB Evo case. I mainly picked that case because of the excellent cooling the 200mm mount point up top and how the board sit. I also chose that case due to easy carrying and the ability to test bench... it's basically perfect for me.
  13. Sorry to OP for the hostile takeover BTW lol...
  14. I3lood Eagle said:
    I'm not gonna set up a push/pull I'm gonna leave it be. I'm getting a new mobo and cpu... I7 4790k, Asus mobo. I've made up my mind to go with the HAF XB Evo case. I mainly picked that case because of the excellent cooling the 200mm mount point up top and how the board sit. I also chose that case due to easy carrying and the ability to test bench... it's basically perfect for me.


    Alright, but where will you mount your radiator? If you use the front, you will only be able to mount a small intake that is not filtered in the back. The air 540 still sound like the better deal in my opinion. I carry a 750D to LAN parties, and I can tell you that an Air 540 would be an easy case to move around a lot. But hey, whatever fits your style, I say go for it. I would just recommend you filter up those sides.

    The case also has wide open sides that will let in a lot of dust for your GPU's. I was looking at this case a few days ago in microcenter, but I did not like that my GPU would be sucking in unfiltered air (along with the limited radiator options).
  15. TheMagicalWallaby said:
    I3lood Eagle said:
    I'm not gonna set up a push/pull I'm gonna leave it be. I'm getting a new mobo and cpu... I7 4790k, Asus mobo. I've made up my mind to go with the HAF XB Evo case. I mainly picked that case because of the excellent cooling the 200mm mount point up top and how the board sit. I also chose that case due to easy carrying and the ability to test bench... it's basically perfect for me.


    Alright, but where will you mount your radiator? If you use the front, you will only be able to mount a small intake that is not filtered in the back.

    The case also has wide open sides that will let in a lot of dust for your GPU's. I was looking at this case a few days ago in microcenter, but I did not like that my GPU would be sucking in unfiltered air (along with the limited radiator options).


    I don't have all the answers man I'm just trying to figure out what's best for me... It seems like no matter what I do there will be ups and downs and for me this cases ups far outweigh it's downs. Any suggestions?
  16. I3lood Eagle said:
    TheMagicalWallaby said:
    I3lood Eagle said:
    I'm not gonna set up a push/pull I'm gonna leave it be. I'm getting a new mobo and cpu... I7 4790k, Asus mobo. I've made up my mind to go with the HAF XB Evo case. I mainly picked that case because of the excellent cooling the 200mm mount point up top and how the board sit. I also chose that case due to easy carrying and the ability to test bench... it's basically perfect for me.


    Alright, but where will you mount your radiator? If you use the front, you will only be able to mount a small intake that is not filtered in the back.

    The case also has wide open sides that will let in a lot of dust for your GPU's. I was looking at this case a few days ago in microcenter, but I did not like that my GPU would be sucking in unfiltered air (along with the limited radiator options).


    I don't have all the answers man I'm just trying to figure out what's best for me... It seems like no matter what I do there will be ups and downs and for me this cases ups far outweigh it's downs. Any suggestions?


    Not many suggestions, but I would pick the CPU cooler before the case so you can make sure they are compatible. I am not sure where you are in terms of putting together your new build, so I can't quite make too many suggestions.

    By the way, if you ever get a corsair all in one cooler, get the H105, it performs better than the h100i.
  17. I just got mine I'm actually sending it back because it was cracked the reason I got the H100i was due to it being one of the slim line AIOs and it was rated a lot higher than the 105 model.
  18. I3lood Eagle said:
    I just got mine I'm actually sending it back because it was cracked the reason I got the H100i was due to it being one of the slim line AIOs and it was rated a lot higher than the 105 model.


    The H100i is a great cooler don't get me wrong, the H105 is just using Asetek's latest pump design along with a thicker radiator.
  19. Best Solutions selections are for the OP and Admins.
Ask a new question

Read More

cable management Water Cooling Fractal Design Cooler Master NZXT Components Antec Corsair Dust filters Cases