Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

BSOD KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Windows 8.1

Tags:
  • Windows 8
  • Blue Screen
Last response: in Windows 8
June 28, 2014 7:47:50 AM

Hello all,

A week gave my Computer gave a BSOD, a couple of days ago a second one, and just an hour ago number 3.

All BSOD's have the same error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Caused by Driver ntoskrnl.exe
This is what blueScreenView thinks of it: http://i.imgur.com/OU4w0hn.png

In all three situations the Driver crashed when i was on the internet(mostly watching a online video). It didn't crash while gaming or converting video's what so ever.

Anyone have an Idea how to find the cause, and fix it. I don't even know if it's hardware or software related.

Specs
I5-4670k
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
12GB Ram 1600MHz(2x4 and 2x2)
Nvidia GTX780
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Cooler Master V700

More about : bsod kmode exception handled windows

a c 403 * Windows 8
June 28, 2014 8:05:04 AM

you would have to post a copy of the actual memory dump file onto a cloud server
like google docs or skydrive. someone can connect a debugger and look at the memory.dmp file to see what the problem is.

m
0
l
Related resources
June 28, 2014 8:05:57 AM

johnbl said:
you would have to post a copy of the actual memory dump file onto a cloud server
like google docs or skydrive. someone can connect a debugger and look at the memory.dmp file to see what the problem is.



I think he has a virus, because that is what that means.
m
0
l
a c 403 * Windows 8
June 28, 2014 8:10:55 AM

That can not be determined with the information provided.

Andrew Buck said:
johnbl said:
you would have to post a copy of the actual memory dump file onto a cloud server
like google docs or skydrive. someone can connect a debugger and look at the memory.dmp file to see what the problem is.



I think he has a virus, because that is what that means.


m
0
l
June 28, 2014 8:14:28 AM

That is true. We need your minidumps to be able to decode what is causing it. I am using my Mac, so I can't view BSODs, and will not be able to. Can you please view it and post what driver and stop code is causing it?
m
0
l
a c 403 * Windows 8
June 28, 2014 8:26:16 AM

Here is service that wraps around the microsoft debugger and just dumps the standard debug text using a browser.
Tt will work even for a Mac because the work is done on the server service. Only problem is it runs a very simple debugging script so you don't get to enter in the commands you often need. Here is the link

http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

Andrew Buck said:
That is true. We need your minidumps to be able to decode what is causing it. I am using my Mac, so I can't view BSODs, and will not be able to. Can you please view it and post what driver and stop code is causing it?


m
0
l
June 28, 2014 8:28:29 AM

johnbl said:
Here is service that wraps around the microsoft debugger and just dumps the standard debug text using a browser.
Tt will work even for a Mac because the work is done on the server service. Only problem is it runs a very simple debugging script so you don't get to enter in the commands you often need. Here is the link

http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

Andrew Buck said:
That is true. We need your minidumps to be able to decode what is causing it. I am using my Mac, so I can't view BSODs, and will not be able to. Can you please view it and post what driver and stop code is causing it?




Alright, cool. Thanks for the link. This will be useful. I usually use other programs that are on windows and I feel like staying on Mac and not switching to Boot Camp right now. I am also on vacation and my gaming/workstation PC is at home right now.
m
0
l
a c 403 * Windows 8
June 28, 2014 8:38:32 AM

it works but it assumes you are a developer so the script it runs does not do some simple checks that you would do when looking at a memory dump from a machine you did not set up yourself. for example,
dumping the drivers with the date, confirming that the key windows files in memory are not corrupt, dumping the CPU voltages and clock frequency being used, BIOS versions and machine manufacture info.

generally means I have to run my own copy of the debugger and issue those commands in my own script.

Andrew Buck said:
johnbl said:
Here is service that wraps around the microsoft debugger and just dumps the standard debug text using a browser.
Tt will work even for a Mac because the work is done on the server service. Only problem is it runs a very simple debugging script so you don't get to enter in the commands you often need. Here is the link

http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

Andrew Buck said:
That is true. We need your minidumps to be able to decode what is causing it. I am using my Mac, so I can't view BSODs, and will not be able to. Can you please view it and post what driver and stop code is causing it?




Alright, cool. Thanks for the link. This will be useful. I usually use other programs that are on windows and I feel like staying on Mac and not switching to Boot Camp right now. I am also on vacation and my gaming/workstation PC is at home right now.


m
0
l
June 28, 2014 8:40:31 AM

johnbl said:
it works but it assumes you are a developer so the script it runs does not do some simple checks that you would do when looking at a memory dump from a machine you did not set up yourself. for example,
dumping the drivers with the date, confirming that the key windows files in memory are not corrupt, dumping the CPU voltages and clock frequency being used, BIOS versions and machine manufacture info.

generally means I have to run my own copy of the debugger and issue those commands in my own script.

Andrew Buck said:
johnbl said:
Here is service that wraps around the microsoft debugger and just dumps the standard debug text using a browser.
Tt will work even for a Mac because the work is done on the server service. Only problem is it runs a very simple debugging script so you don't get to enter in the commands you often need. Here is the link

http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

Andrew Buck said:
That is true. We need your minidumps to be able to decode what is causing it. I am using my Mac, so I can't view BSODs, and will not be able to. Can you please view it and post what driver and stop code is causing it?




Alright, cool. Thanks for the link. This will be useful. I usually use other programs that are on windows and I feel like staying on Mac and not switching to Boot Camp right now. I am also on vacation and my gaming/workstation PC is at home right now.




May not be so useful/easy then.
m
0
l
June 28, 2014 9:38:01 AM

A memory access violation. Try another stick of RAM or in a different slot.
m
0
l
June 28, 2014 9:41:44 AM

markarn said:
Andrew Buck said:
Drop to stock clock. That is http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff557408(v=3DVS.85).aspx

Allready done that, but still the same BSOD


Do what is says on this page. Start in safe mode and go to CMD and type sfc /scannow
m
0
l
June 28, 2014 10:05:13 AM

Andrew Buck said:
A memory access violation. Try another stick of RAM or in a different slot.

That might be it, i upgraded the memory from 8GB to 12GB a month ago, maybe one of the DIMM's is bad(altough at 12GB passed memtestx86).

Now running sfc/scannow
m
0
l
June 28, 2014 10:05:47 AM

markarn said:
Andrew Buck said:
A memory access violation. Try another stick of RAM or in a different slot.

That might be it, i upgraded the memory from 8GB to 12GB a month ago, maybe one of the DIMM's is bad(altough at 12GB passed memtestx86).

Now running sfc/scannow


Good. That should do it. Tell me how it goes. :) 
m
0
l
June 28, 2014 12:04:17 PM

sfc/scannow gave 0 erros
I will report back if the system keeps stable now
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 403 * Windows 8
June 28, 2014 12:23:07 PM

basically you had a driver try to access a memory location of -1 and it caused the crash.
I don't know which driver.

I would start removing 3rd party drivers or run driver verifier on the driver so that they will crash faster. (when the bad call is made) Sorry, it is not more help. Here are my notes. You might also confirm your memory banks are matched in the correct slots.

- running epfwwfp.sys firewall driver

notes: you have a very old driver for your motherboard audio
\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\MBfilt64.sys Thu Jul 30 20:40:32 2009
you might get a update from reltek
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?...

your sotfware
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\Live Update\NTIOLib_X64.sys Tue Oct 19 23:45:49 2010
is pretty old also, you might want to remove it or get a update if you can find a current verison.

machine info:
Manufacturer MSI
Product Name MS-7821
Version 1.0
Serial Number
Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821)
Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Processor Voltage 8ch - 1.2V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 3800MHz
Current Speed 3400MHz
BIOS Version V1.5
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 09/22/2013

memory:
ChannelA-DIMM0 (bank 0) = 4096 MB, 1600 Mhz manufacturer 1315 part number BLT4G3D1608DT1TX0
ChannelA-DIMM1 (bank 1)= 2048 MB 1333MHz manufacture= samsung part number M378B5773DH0-CH9
ChannelB-Dimm0 (bank 2)= 4096 MB, 1600 Mhz manufacturer 1315 part number BLT4G3D1608DT1TX0
ChannelB-DIMM1 (Bank 3) = 2048 MB 1333MHz manufacture= samsung part number M378B5773DH0-CH9


- core windows files don't seem to be corrupted in memory
----------------

yep, you might scan for viruses (use malwarebytes) and remove all of your chrome brower extentions. I will try to look at the debug dump when I get back.
Share
July 2, 2014 9:06:41 AM

Thanks again.

Didn't notice a problem since i took the 2x2 GB Ram kit out :D 
m
0
l