FX 8320 running hot with cooler master hyper tx3

ishsHW

Reputable
May 16, 2014
(This is my friend's comp, i'm talking from his perspective ^_^)

"
(1) Temperatures are 30 C as i simply browse or perform basic tasks. CPU hits 65 C when running league at low.
(2) and CPU seems to clock down during stream (an assumption created since the FX 8320 should handle streaming+gaming just fine) My internet is pretty decent.

Should i upgrade to a hyper 212 evo? "

Specs of PC:
CASE: Cougar Challenger
Motherboard: 970A-G43
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130679&cm_re=msi_amd_motherboard-_-13-130-679-_-Product

CPU: FX 8320
HEATSINK: HYPER TX3
GPU: SAPPHIRE HD 6670
RAM: G SKILL 8 GB @1600
HDD: 500 GB western digital
power supply: corsair 600w bronze

Me:
I personally built another comp with an FX 8350+Hyper 212 evo and it runs below 20 C during regular tasks and 55 to 60 C during high end gaming. I was surprised by his temperatures :(. If you need any additional information let me know :).

Solution
these msi boards without a heatsink on vrm's will throttle with the 8 cores when pushed,
there are tons of threads about them - get a decent cpu cooler and see if you can find an aftermarket heatsink to put on the vrm's and you should be fine, ultimately you might want to replace the mobo as well

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
these msi boards without a heatsink on vrm's will throttle with the 8 cores when pushed,
there are tons of threads about them - get a decent cpu cooler and see if you can find an aftermarket heatsink to put on the vrm's and you should be fine, ultimately you might want to replace the mobo as well

Solution

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

"I personally built another comp with an FX 8350+Hyper 212 evo and it runs below 20 C during regular tasks"

Ain't happening. Processors don't run below ambient temp no matter what Hardware Monitor etc.... say.

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010

true .. that being said my fx6350 that's currently set at 4.55 ghz shows 20c on idle ... and that's about the ambient temp 20-28 while web browsing and doesn't go over 60c when pushed... but it's sitting under a zalman cnps12x
which is a pretty massive cooler - and if i had the C states / power saving settings on, i've seen it show around 16c ... so yeah there's some bugs on the low temperature side of things for these amd chips but hot temps are usually correct... just there are 4 temps atleast on my motherboard ... CPU / Socket (keep cpu under 70 and socket under 62 - or just check AMD overdrive - it shows how much left til the limit) and another i guess is chipset temp and something else - those two usally are in the 30's when idling and get hotter during load

ishsHW

Reputable
May 16, 2014

This was the reading by core temp.The system was new, and it was a HAF 922 case. Nearly all the parts were nice high quality :D

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
don't forget laws of physics - anything physically can go only as low as your room temperature unless you have some sort of refrigerator setup or you use liquid nitrogen, and still the cpu produces some heat internally while operating so it always will be a tiny bit hotter...
i use HWINFO64 for monitoring - it shows a literal ton of readings and sensors and seems to be accurate, just it can freeze for a bit sometimes when stresstesting cpu

just to add - i got my old core2duo down to 16c once but i had to open the window next to it in winter so the room temperature dropped down even lower ... otherwise impossible

ishsHW

Reputable
May 16, 2014

Thanks for your answer! So we have conlcuded to purchase a VRM heatsink.

This one:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7190/vid-105/Enzotech_MOS-C1_MOSFET_Heatsinks_-_65mm_x_65mm_x_12mm_-_10_Pack.html

Is this one ok?

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010

well... it's not guaranteed that your problem will go away - it might just be the motherboard's fault,
but it might work... i suggest to study a little bit about what the treshold temperatures are for vrm's and measuring them to try to detect where exactly the throttling comes from...
this will in no way affect the cpu temperatures - i am talking about motherboard throttling...