Solved

reinstall Windows 8 to new Motherboard

I had installed windows 8 to an existing computer, only to discover the motherboard did not support this. After purchasing a new CPU and Motherboard, can I install the windows 8 OEM as is, or do I need a new product key to do this?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about reinstall windows motherboard
  1. Is this a Windows 8 that you bought and installed, or was it preinstalled?
  2. ...Doesnt matter my friend. All versions of win8 are transferrable to new systems for a change so he will be 'legal' using the key he has.

    :-)
  3. USAFRet said:
    Is this a Windows 8 that you bought and installed, or was it preinstalled?


    We bought and installed.
  4. Best answer
    popatim said:
    ...Doesnt matter my friend. All versions of win8 are transferrable to new systems for a change so he will be 'legal' using the key he has.

    :-)


    Actually, it does matter a little.

    Preinstalled - the path to installing on different hardware is much more difficult.
    The licensing agreement from MS specifically asks about 'how did you obtain this? Preinstalled or no'. The terms are different.

    Something you bought and installed? Change away!
  5. RLR1 said:
    USAFRet said:
    Is this a Windows 8 that you bought and installed, or was it preinstalled?


    We bought and installed.


    Then you are good to go. You can reinstall with the new hardware. As always, only one PC at a time.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 8 Motherboards