Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Thoughts on possible build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 29, 2014 6:15:35 PM

I'm looking to build my first computer set up, and was hoping to get some outside opinions on my build. I'm going for a decent, low budget gaming computer. I'd like to be able to run games such as skyrim on at least high if not ultra in 1080p or eventually higher. my pcpartpicker setup is here. please do let me know what you all would recommend changing or adding. Thank you very much in advance!

More about : thoughts build

June 29, 2014 6:18:15 PM

Is this system just for gaming?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 29, 2014 6:19:24 PM

whats your max budget>
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
June 29, 2014 6:28:58 PM

Better off going 2x8gb than 4x4gb imo.
You sure you need the Xonar?
m
0
l
June 29, 2014 6:46:33 PM

popatim said:
Better off going 2x8gb than 4x4gb imo.
You sure you need the Xonar?


I actually meant to remove the xonar, it was an accidental add when I was looking through sound cards.
Also, the 4x4 was because I had been looking at a combo that had 2x4 and I just wanted to double it
m
0
l
June 29, 2014 6:46:59 PM

iceblitzed said:
whats your max budget>


Max budget is around 1200, eventually I meant end up upgrading though down the line, just something for starting at least
m
0
l
June 29, 2014 6:47:26 PM

Samsamproducts said:
Is this system just for gaming?


Mostly for gaming but also photography and maybe game recording too.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 214 4 Gaming
June 29, 2014 6:52:02 PM

1. At > $850, I'd do an Intel build....can budget handle $100 extra

2. If ya sure ya need 16GB, use 2 x 8GB

3. Upgrade to the Corsair 500R ($7 more)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4. Upgrade to am Asus Z97 Pro w/ WiFi and Realtek 1150 sound for $9 more than your MoBo, WiFi, sound combo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

5. Upgrade to the 4690k for $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
June 29, 2014 7:04:19 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
1. At > $850, I'd do an Intel build....can budget handle $100 extra

2. If ya sure ya need 16GB, use 2 x 8GB

3. Upgrade to the Corsair 500R ($7 more)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4. Upgrade to am Asus Z97 Pro w/ WiFi and Realtek 1150 sound for $9 more than your MoBo, WiFi, sound combo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

5. Upgrade to the 4690k for $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thanks that helps a lot. I was considering an intel build but they seemed a lot more expensive and that amd one seemed to look fine. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!
m
0
l
June 29, 2014 7:17:15 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Only other thing I can suggest is get a Phanteks PH-TC14-PE cooler....it outperforms the H55 and us a lot quieter....$10 more
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


would you recommend that one or the h100? I was watching the video on the case and it apparently fits good in the top, but I'm not sure which would be quieter or a better fit
m
0
l
June 29, 2014 7:29:29 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
The H100i sounds like you live next to a jetport. If you must use an AIO, I'd recommend the H100 ...I cools almost as good as the Phanteks but is much, much quieter than the H100i.

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/03/12/swiftech-h220-vs...


huh, you'd think it would be quieter, being newer and more expensive. Okay thanks very much!
m
0
l
a c 214 4 Gaming
June 29, 2014 8:14:01 PM

I really don't understand the attraction to AIOs .... and I say this as a water cooling enthusiast. With an AIO all you are not doing anything different. The noise still comes from blowing air thru tightly spaced fins. So what will make more noise....

a) Two fans blowing air at 1200 rpm thru tightly spaced metal fins....

or

b) Two fans blowing air at 2700 rpm thru tightly spaced metal fins....

Kinda like driving with the windows pen at 40 mph versus driving at 90 mph .... what makes more noise ?

The H100 is bearable not because of anything related to the water end of things .... it simply uses slower fans at 1500 rpm..... by having 36% more radiator area (140mm x 2) than the H100i, it doesn't need to blow air at such a high speed. You could change the fans on the H100i to 1200 or 1500 rpm, but then it's performance drops precipitously.
m
0
l
June 29, 2014 8:38:01 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
1. At > $850, I'd do an Intel build....can budget handle $100 extra

2. If ya sure ya need 16GB, use 2 x 8GB

3. Upgrade to the Corsair 500R ($7 more)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4. Upgrade to am Asus Z97 Pro w/ WiFi and Realtek 1150 sound for $9 more than your MoBo, WiFi, sound combo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

5. Upgrade to the 4690k for $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


JackNaylorPE said:
I really don't understand the attraction to AIOs .... and I say this as a water cooling enthusiast. With an AIO all you are not doing anything different. The noise still comes from blowing air thru tightly spaced fins. So what will make more noise....

a) Two fans blowing air at 1200 rpm thru tightly spaced metal fins....

or

b) Two fans blowing air at 2700 rpm thru tightly spaced metal fins....

Kinda like driving with the windows pen at 40 mph versus driving at 90 mph .... what makes more noise ?

The H100 is bearable not because of anything related to the water end of things .... it simply uses slower fans at 1500 rpm..... by having 36% more radiator area (140mm x 2) than the H100i, it doesn't need to blow air at such a high speed. You could change the fans on the H100i to 1200 or 1500 rpm, but then it's performance drops precipitously.


is there any kind of water cooling set up you would recommend then, without killing my wallet?
m
0
l
!