Will an i3 2100 bottleneck a GTX 770 with modern games significantly?

Patrick Braun

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
My friend is looking to upgrade his pc from a mostly non-gaming PC to a gaming PC. The centerpiece of this will be the Nvidia GeForce GTX 770. My question is how badly would his current CPU bottleneck recent titles (mostly FPS games such as Battlefield 4, Crysis 3, Garden Warfare, etc.) Are there certain titles where this will be more noticible, and what would they be? What kind of FPS % drop would he experience in general, and with the titles that pretty much need a 4 core CPU?

I know having a dual core CPU isn't ideal, but he already has to shell out for a new PSU in order to run the new card, so how badly would he be affected? I know most modern games utilize 4 cores (at least I think so), but would having a powerful card like the 770 negate some of this, or would it not even be worth it without upgrading his CPU as well? I really don't think he wants to go "half and half" and spend half on a quad core CPU and get a cheaper card, and he doesn't plan to have any extra money to spend on a new CPU in the foreseeable future.

Is it worth it to buy the new PSU and video card and get another CPU later on down the line, or would he be disappointed by the performance he would get to the point of just waiting altogether?

Thanks in advance for any replies, it will surely help him, and I am curious as to what impact it would have on modern games as well.