Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is there a difference in performance between ATX & mATX Motherboards, or is it just more expandability

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 30, 2014 7:24:26 AM

Does mATX Motherboard have lower performance compared to ATX Mobos?
Or are they different just in the number of sockets available.

I want only one graphics card and I never wish to have 2 Graphics Cards.
I would like to know if I will get better performance on an ATX motherboard than a mATX motherboard
or can i go with the smaller motherboard without any concerns...

Please Help...!
a b V Motherboard
a c 82 U Graphics card
June 30, 2014 7:27:33 AM

Primarily it refers to the size of a motherboard. It's actually about 80% (or so) the size of an ATX board. It should (the mobo) mount on the same bolt pattern as an ATX board, however, it won't cover all the holes.

When other products, (heat sinks, cases, power supplies and such), are mentioned in conjunction with Matx, it's generally to imply compatibility.

Intel lists Matx (motherboards) as about 9.60" x 9.60".

The ATX specs are 11.60" x 9.60".

With respect to cases a Matx only case would likely be called a "mini-tower".
Almost all "mid-tower" cases would accept both spec boards.

i dont think it always equates in less performance on lower end models less upgrade paths and such but on higher end models u get all the bells and whistles the real idea of micro-atx build is if you want something small and portable.

m
1
l
June 30, 2014 7:34:27 AM

iceclock said:
Primarily it refers to the size of a motherboard. It's actually about 80% (or so) the size of an ATX board. It should (the mobo) mount on the same bolt pattern as an ATX board, however, it won't cover all the holes.

When other products, (heat sinks, cases, power supplies and such), are mentioned in conjunction with Matx, it's generally to imply compatibility.

Intel lists Matx (motherboards) as about 9.60" x 9.60".

The ATX specs are 11.60" x 9.60".

With respect to cases a Matx only case would likely be called a "mini-tower".
Almost all "mid-tower" cases would accept both spec boards.

i dont think it always equates in less performance on lower end models less upgrade paths and such but on higher end models u get all the bells and whistles the real idea of micro-atx build is if you want something small and portable.



Yes I want something small and portable
BUT without compromising on performance

Will
GTX 770 Graphics card
16 GB RAM (2 x 8GB)
i7-4770k Processor

Run equally well on a mATX motherboard? or will i get better results with an ATX mobo?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a c 82 U Graphics card
June 30, 2014 7:35:41 AM

yes it will run equally well a 16x pci-express 3 port is the same on a matx board and a atx board.

whats your budget for full build?

m
1
l
June 30, 2014 7:40:26 AM

iceclock said:
yes it will run equally well a 16x pci-express 3 port is the same on a matx board and a atx board.

whats your budget for full build?



$2000

But I want to build it as compact as possible...
So if you say that i wont find a difference then I'll go for a mATX in a Compact Case...Otherwise I'll get an ATX in Mid-Tower Case
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a c 82 U Graphics card
June 30, 2014 7:46:26 AM

theres no difference unless u plan on doing crazy overclocks are you?

Share
a b V Motherboard
a c 82 U Graphics card
June 30, 2014 7:51:18 AM

[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CJfXYJ) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CJfXYJ/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k) | $339.99 @ Newegg
**CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-cpu-cooler-h80i) | $74.99 @ Newegg
**Motherboard** | [Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-maximusvi...) | $199.99 @ NCIX US
**Memory** | [Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-memory-997124) | $154.99 @ Newegg
**Storage** | [Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-driv...) | $189.98 @ OutletPC
**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-driv...) | $83.97 @ OutletPC
**Video Card** | [Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB AMP! Edition Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt7020310...) | $459.99 @ SuperBiiz
**Case** | [BitFenix Phenom M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/bitfenix-case-bfcphm300kkx...) | $99.51 @ OutletPC
**Power Supply** | [EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g1075...) | $86.66 @ Newegg
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-gfc02050) | $88.98 @ OutletPC
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $1779.05

here u go :) 

m
0
l
June 30, 2014 7:51:21 AM

iceclock said:
theres no difference unless u plan on doing crazy overclocks are you?



No,
No Overclocks
&
I dont plan to game at all...
This is only for work and study...

Thankyou for your time
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 82 U Graphics card
June 30, 2014 8:10:32 AM

anytime sir :) 

m
0
l
!