$850 gaming Pc build

G

I have $850 for the Pc, operating system and a decent keyboard and mouse. This is my first Pc I'm building and I'd like to be able upgrade just the cpu and gpu and maybe a cooler when I upgrade in a couple years. I'd like to play most current games on ultra at 50+ fps and a lot of new games at high at 50+ fps. I will over clock if I need to but I'd prefer not to because I don't know much about pcs yet.

GPUPacman

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

Hola! I've put together a build on PCPartPicker. This build offers A LOT of bang for your buck. This will easily be able to get 50+ fps on new games on High-Ultra settings. The GPU has about a $300+ value. This build right now is about $800 with savings and mail-in rebates, but the actual build costs $866 without savings. So even if all of the parts go "not on sale I guess" it will be in your budget. I included a decent keyboard and mouse bundle, and you may change that to your liking. Hope this helps!

PC Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZBqCFT

numanator

Honorable
Here is an intel build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($187.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $811.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

The i5s generally perform better than the AMD fx GPUs. I didn't put the keyboard/mouse into the build since picking those has a lot to do with what you like but left around $40 in the budget for them.

Of the three builds so far, two are for amd FX based builds.
There are two problems with FX as I see it.
1. Few games can use more than 2-3 cores making 6 or 8 cores useless.
2. More importantly, the FX architecture is slow per core, and you will have no upgrade past overclocking the devil out of your chip.

My suggestion for an expandable build has a couple of elements:
1. For gaming, start with a good quality strong psu, in the 600-650w range
That will allow you to upgrade in time to much stronger single graphics cards. It could handle a card as good as today's GTX780ti. Look at a Seasonic psu, arguably one of the best quality brands.

2. You need a motherboard with cpu expansion capability. Today, that means to me any Z97 based motherboard. It will handle a entry level $75 G8358 dual core, a i5 quad core, a i7 4790K, and is compatible with future 14nm broadwell.

For gaming, the graphics card is all important. My rule of thumb is to budget 2x the cpu cost for the graphics card.
With a combined budget for cpu and gpu of about $450, I would divide it this way:
cpu i3-4350 @140
gpu GTX760/770 or R9-280/280X which will be in the $260 range.

The i3 is a dual core with hyperthreading, giving 4 dispatchable tasks. It is an effective gamer.
The graphics cards are similar performers, benchmarks do show differences, but actual gameplay will be similar.