2400 DDR3 in FM1 mobo?

crouse755

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
OK guys I made a boo-boo. Through a series of blunders I purchased the wrong memory for the unit I'm building and now... here I am. (Again.)

I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313398

I installed it into: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130641&cm_re=MSI_FM1-_-13-130-641-_-Product

I'm running windows 7 with a AMD A8 3870k. The PSU is a 650w brand new supply with gold rating and tested fine. The GPU is a Radeon 6900 MSI Twin Frozr III series card.

My question:

I installed this memory into the computer and tried letting the mobo run it on stock settings. IT got a few BSODS so I tweaked the voltage up on the ram and set the DRAM to 1866 (Mobos highest OC RAM speed). Things ran fine. No BSODS.

(Fast forward a week and a half)

AT the time, I didn't have the graphics card that's in it now because I was waiting for the new one I have in my other rig to arrive. I installed the new card into the other computer and put the Radeon into this unit....

That's when the problems started.

I fired it up and within minutes I started getting BSOD's with all sorts of codes (I think, sometimes the flash and reboot were to fast for me to see the number or grab a dump) the most recurring one being a 0X124, which as I understand it, is a critical hardware error.

Ok. Well, obviously it's the RAM, says I.

I grab some spare memory I have (2 4gb sticks of DDR 1600 w.e.) throw it into the unit and...

BSODS. -________-

So now I'm wondering if it's a hard drive issue.

I'm currently reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows (it was a clean build so no files lost but the updates I had amazingly been able to wiggle into the unit while it ran fine.)

Would having installed this memory into this mobo/CPU combo have caused some sort of error that putting new ram into the unit wouldn't solve??

I'm currently debating testing the unit with the RAM I bought (The vulcan RAM linked above) and seeing if it'll work again.

If I set the voltage to the 1.65 it says it runs at and leave the speed setting at it's 1333 mobo setting I should be ok, RIght?

I'm a total noob when it comes to mobo/ram OC (GPU's are more my thing).

I realize the biggest mistake I made was buying a cheap ass motherboard but this is my 4th computer I've got running so I was sort of on a budget. (Well... kind of running.)

Thanks Toms! You guys are the best! Hope to get some help soon!

EDIT: OH!!! I Forgot to mention!!! When I go to boot the system now I get a B4 hang up on the BIOS initiation. I can hardly get the damn thing to boot for me to access the BIOS anymore. Would resetting the CMOS help? I'm doing it now anyhow.

Crouse755

crouse755

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Ok I think the Hard Drive is the culprit here. I just swapped the memory back to the Vulcan memory and fired the system up straight to bios (without a hard drive in it). I'm connected to the bios from the Graphics card so I know that's working as well (plus that cards been bullet proof for me since i bought the damn thing 2 years ago and runs fine in 2 other systems I have.)

So I'm thinking the hard drive i was using is the culprit. Any nay sayers??

crouse755

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Ok so memtest ran three times with no errors with the vulcan ram. Going to try and install a fresh install of windows and go from there. Also, changed the hard drive im using for the install so that I can avoid any trouble if the hard drive was the culprit.

crouse755

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014

I've got the latest bios for sure, just switched the hard drives and now it's installing at its normal pace but I turned around for a split second and I think it had a BSOD when it tried to run after installation.

Wiped the partition, formatted and reinstalling, again, again, again.... so guess I'll have to wait to see what happens.

crouse755

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
.... OK Soooo after 6+ hours trying to get Windows 7 to finally install (And a mix up of hard drives resulting in the loss of 500+ GBs of personal data, games, photos and such) I get windows to it's main screen AND....

BSOD.

*Closes thread, Grabs unit, Goes outside, Throws it into pool, Fishes it out, takes it outside to the drive, Curb stomps it, grabs a blow torch, turns it inot a giant frisbee and hurls it into space*

crouse755

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Alright well to update this thread for anyone in the future who might come across it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqKwuM_7Ix4

I did what this video said to do and it seemed to work for about 5 days.... but then I got another BSOD.

I'm going to have to close this thread and start a new one for a debate on whether to go with a new motherboard for this chipset or get a new chipset entirely.

Thanks for anyone who read and to Tradesman1 for weighing in this!