Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Upgrading from GTX 590, need advice!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 1, 2014 10:32:51 AM

Hi!

My GTX 590 suddenly broke 2 weeks ago so I figured what the heck let's get an upgrade!

I've got my eyes on 780Ti. Trying to decide which non-reference it's going to be. Can you please give me some advice? Thank you, all the help is much appreciated.

Btw, I forgot to ask the usual question: Should I wait for 8** series?

More about : upgrading gtx 590 advice

July 1, 2014 10:51:39 AM

Dates for the desktop 8xx series are in the air. I have dual 580s and it is what I am waiting on. Nothing wrong with the 780Ti other then the cost. Pair of 770 is an alternative.

I usually stick to ASUS when it comes to video and motherboards. Their custom PCBs are often great for overclocking.
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 10:55:50 AM

We should wait and see what the 800 series brings. That will be better than the 700 series in both performance and power consumption.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 1, 2014 10:58:49 AM

What budget? I can say easily a r9 295x2 which is what the gtx590 was few years ago( best dual gpu along with 6990hd since titan z is from another league)
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 10:59:49 AM

deathcall666 said:
What budget? I can say easily a r9 295x2 which is what the gtx590 was few years ago( best dual gpu along with 6990hd since titan z is from another league)


R9 295X2 is not at all a good option unless you are at 4K. Not worth it.
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 11:05:28 AM

Yes true it would be a waste but he didnt mentioned the resolution either
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 11:06:22 AM

For 1080p the r9 270 / gtx 760 can get the job done anyway.
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 11:06:27 AM

deathcall666 said:
Yes true it would be a waste but he didnt mentioned the resolution either


He had a GTX 590. That can't even run 4K. 2560 x 1600 is its maximum.
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 11:07:12 AM

well, if he had a GTX 590, he should have no problem dropping 1k+ on a GPU. is he running triple-monitor?

maybe r9 295x2?
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 11:08:33 AM

Tman450 said:
well, if he had a GTX 590, he should have no problem dropping 1k+ on a GPU. is he running triple-monitor?

maybe r9 295x2?


As I said, the 590 cannot output more than 2560 x 1600. If he had triple monitors, I am pretty sure he would want to jump on the 780 Ti immediately because his triple-monitor setup wouldn't work well.
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 11:20:15 AM

Andrew Buck said:
Tman450 said:
well, if he had a GTX 590, he should have no problem dropping 1k+ on a GPU. is he running triple-monitor?

maybe r9 295x2?


As I said, the 590 cannot output more than 2560 x 1600. If he had triple monitors, I am pretty sure he would want to jump on the 780 Ti immediately because his triple-monitor setup wouldn't work well.


the 590 can't handle more than 2560x1600 on one onitor. it can handle triple 1080p monitors just fine.
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 11:20:57 AM

780ti is a litlle bit faster than the 590 ( the real diference is at texture rate 200 vs 78 in favor of 780ti)
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 11:21:58 AM

deathcall666 said:
780ti is a litlle bit faster than the 590 ( the real diference is at texture rate 200 vs 78 in favor of 780ti)


He should wait for the 800 series. Stats don't mean anything. The 780 Ti is on the Kepler architecture, while the 590 is on Fermi. Two different architectures.
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 11:33:30 AM

Sure thing the gtx750ti seems very power eficient its posible that the 880ti might even have a 150TDP and still being better than 780ti. If you can wait for it it will be worth it.
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 11:36:34 AM

deathcall666 said:
Sure thing the gtx750ti seems very power eficient its posible that the 880ti might even have a 150TDP and still being better than 780ti. If you can wait for it it will be worth it.


Exactly what I am saying. Wait for 800 series. Maxwell improves performance, temperatures , and power consumption.
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 1:47:58 PM

Hi again guys, thanks for all of your replies. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I'm running a single 120Hz 1080p monitor. The reason I'm going for a high-end GPU is that when I set everything to the max I need such a GPU to keep my frames above 80-90. And I often game on 3D and need to maintain 60fps per eye.

There is another option for me: I can get 2 Asus DC2 780's for nearly the same price of an EVGA 780Ti Classified. I know this sounds really weird but this is exactly how it is right now in where I live.

Do you have any info about the release date of the 8** series? I don't want to wait too long since they are going to be based on 28nm architecture too. Remember I'm using iGPU right now.. lol.

Thank you.
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 1:54:44 PM

aduman said:
Hi again guys, thanks for all of your replies. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I'm running a single 120Hz 1080p monitor. The reason I'm going for a high-end GPU is that when I set everything to the max I need such a GPU to keep my frames above 80-90. And I often game on 3D and need to maintain 60fps per eye.

There is another option for me: I can get 2 Asus DC2 780's for nearly the same price of an EVGA 780Ti Classified. I know this sounds really weird but this is exactly how it is right now in where I live.

Do you have any info about the release date of the 8** series? I don't want to wait too long since they are going to be based on 28nm architecture too. Remember I'm using iGPU right now.. lol.

Thank you.


They are coming out at the end of this year, I am guessing with next-gen games in October or in December right before Christmas for obvious reasons.
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 4:25:01 PM

Thank you but I can't wait that long unfortunately. What should I do? My 590 is gone, I can get two asus dc2 oc 780 for nearly the same price of an evga 780ti classified in where I live. But then there is SLI issues.. I want to wait but I don't have any GPU right now..I'm confused and I can't decide what to do.. Please help me guys.

Thank you.
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 4:26:59 PM

aduman said:
Thank you but I can't wait that long unfortunately. What should I do? My 590 is gone, I can get two asus dc2 oc 780 for nearly the same price of an evga 780ti classified in where I live. But then there is SLI issues.. I want to wait but I don't have any GPU right now..I'm confused and I can't decide what to do.. Please help me guys.

Thank you.


A GTX 780 Ti wouldn't disappoint, 2 780s REALLY wouldn't disappoint, best option is probably the 2 780s for now. Maxwell may not be worth it, it may be. My advice is to just get the 2 780s for now. Make sure your PSU is sufficient.
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 4:27:01 PM

aduman said:
Thank you but I can't wait that long unfortunately. What should I do? My 590 is gone, I can get two asus dc2 oc 780 for nearly the same price of an evga 780ti classified in where I live. But then there is SLI issues.. I want to wait but I don't have any GPU right now..I'm confused and I can't decide what to do.. Please help me guys.

Thank you.


A GTX 780 Ti wouldn't disappoint, 2 780s REALLY wouldn't disappoint, best option is probably the 2 780s for now. Maxwell may not be worth it, it may be. My advice is to just get the 2 780s for now. Make sure your PSU is sufficient.
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 5:15:14 PM

Thank you again for your reply Andrew. Can you please help me with these too? How much more performance can I get with SLI 780's over a single 780 Ti? Can SLI be an issue? I've had some issues with 590 where some games didn't scale well. I have a Corsair AX860 which is afaik capable of handling SLI 780's. The 2 780's being at the same price point with a single evga classified 780 Ti looks like a great opportunity for me if they offer a much better performance of course.

Thank you.
m
0
l
July 1, 2014 5:27:12 PM

aduman said:
Thank you again for your reply Andrew. Can you please help me with these too? How much more performance can I get with SLI 780's over a single 780 Ti? Can SLI be an issue? I've had some issues with 590 where some games didn't scale well. I have a Corsair AX860 which is afaik capable of handling SLI 780's. The 2 780's being at the same price point with a single evga classified 780 Ti looks like a great opportunity for me if they offer a much better performance of course.

Thank you.


Probably close to 50% better depending on the game. SLI won't be an issue in well-developed games and in generally just good games. I would go with it.
m
0
l
July 2, 2014 3:41:56 AM

Ok thanks, I made up my mind. Only thing keeping me from placing the order is 3GB VRAM. Is this future proof for ultra 1080p? (sometimes 3D Vision).
m
0
l

Best solution

July 2, 2014 6:10:04 AM

aduman said:
Ok thanks, I made up my mind. Only thing keeping me from placing the order is 3GB VRAM. Is this future proof for ultra 1080p? (sometimes 3D Vision).


Yes. If you want 6 GB, wait for the 6GB 780 Ti to come out.
Share
!