My I5-4670 non k 68c max on prime 95

jdawg1540

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
is 68c descent on hyper 212 evo on i5-4670(nonk). I was using prime 95 large fft for an hr or so and max temp on 2 cores was 68c and the other 2 around 64c

Solution
It'll be the CPU voltage. It'll take some time for you to test though, as I can't remember how low you should be able to go.

Edit: Actually, you would want to change the CPU offset voltage. You'll set it to a negative number, and it will lower voltage for load and idle. You'll need to try it in small amounts and then test with prime 95.

natedawg72

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
That is fine. Haswell CPU is known to be a hot running chip. Prime 95 puts a load on your CPU that is more stressful than anything a gamer would do, so your gaming temperatures (if that's what you use your CPU for) will be lower.

natedawg72

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I thought I had a link to a haswell voltage/overclocking guide that included temperatures, but unfortunately I can't seem to find it.

You could go ahead and re-seat the heastsink if you want, though if you've done any reading on how to apply thermal compound you probably did it good enough.

I do know for a fact that your stock voltage is higher than necessary. If you don't mind getting into the BIOS and doing some stress testing you could lower heat and power consumption by undervolting.

EDIT: Your idle looks fine to me. When I had a Hyper 212 EVO on my i5-2500k idle temperatures were higher than the Intel stock cooler, but load temperatures were much better than stock cooler load temperatures. I believe its just a drawback to the "tower" style CPU cooler with heatpipes, it doesn't have great idle temperatures but handles load much better.

natedawg72

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
It'll be the CPU voltage. It'll take some time for you to test though, as I can't remember how low you should be able to go.

Edit: Actually, you would want to change the CPU offset voltage. You'll set it to a negative number, and it will lower voltage for load and idle. You'll need to try it in small amounts and then test with prime 95.

Solution