144 hz monitor and v sync

deckardb26354

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Hi all,

Im running x2 760 in SLI which im happy to report is brilliant and far more cost effective than buying a 780 TI for the similar performance.......

I run Titanfall on 60 fps on mostly maxed out settings except for when it gets real and it drops.... I am however only using a 60 hz monitor. When the fps drops it drops good however to like 35. That imo is unplayable. When I turn off V Sync i get major screen tear...

my question is: with a bigger HZ monitor such as 144hz... I wont need to bother with V Sycn then will i? As the graphics will be punching out what the monitor can handle.....Or at least I wont need to cap it at 60 fps..... the reason I ask is that I want to use my max settings whilst maintaining 60 fps at least at all times.

Would you buy a better monitor to go with my power? or is 60hz fine? It would seem that a bigger refresh rate will be allow me to achieve my goal.

Many thanks all.

Solution
If your cards can maintain framerates higher than 60 FPS very easily, then yes, I would say get a higher refresh rate monitor. However even with V-SYNC on, drops to 35 fps shouldn't be that common.

Either way, with two 760s, and assuming a decent processor, you're sorely wasted on a 60 Hz panel. I'd say upgrade to 144 Hz anyway just for the better gaming experience in the long run regardless.

CraigN

Distinguished
If your cards can maintain framerates higher than 60 FPS very easily, then yes, I would say get a higher refresh rate monitor. However even with V-SYNC on, drops to 35 fps shouldn't be that common.

Either way, with two 760s, and assuming a decent processor, you're sorely wasted on a 60 Hz panel. I'd say upgrade to 144 Hz anyway just for the better gaming experience in the long run regardless.

Solution

Ron Burgundy

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
Hey, I bought that 144hz asus monitor and noticed something like that with LoL. It was set to default 60hz and when I switched it to 144hz via device manager for the monitor it brought my frames way up and steady. Before I had similar problem to yours. It would cap at 60 and drop to around 30 sometimes but now it runs smooth 140-144fps in LoL.

Not sure if this relates to your issue but kinda think so.. anyone else chime in?

CraigN

Distinguished
V-Sync could limit your performance simply because the graphics cards are trying to output at only 60 fps (and not faster) to meet the monitor, so you get performance drops because of that. Usually the solution is turn V-Sync off. If you get a lot of tearing this way, then yes, absolutely, you want to upgrade to a higher refresh rate monitor so you can play with V Sync off. You may still see tearing if you have big framerate variations, but it will be *much* less of an eyesore than playing 100 FPS on 60 Hz with V Sync off.

Traciatim

Distinguished
When you turn V-Sync off you will get tearing, pretty much always. When you turn V-Sync on you will get lower frame rates, pretty much always. One of the nice things about a 144Hz monitor though is that a tear is visible for much less time and it makes it much harder to see.

As an example, on your 60hz screen if you turn v-sync off and a frame is drawn out of sync with the monitor the tear will be on the screen for 16.6ms (until the next time the screen refreshes). If the same tear happens on a 144hz monitor the tear will be visible for just a shade under 7ms.

The only way to fix this problem completely is with something like G-Sync or Free Sync that allows the monitor to have a variable refresh rate that has some method of syncing to your frame rate but there aren't really any good products that are widely available yet. If you are that concerned about tearing and frame rates you might want to wait until some good G-Sync monitors are released.